U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 PM

38 posts, read 89,017 times
Default Innovative/Interesting Elementary Schools

Hi,

We are thinking of relocating to the San Fernando Valley OR that edge of the c city from the Bay Area and have followed many discussions posted to date regarding "good" schools. That can mean a lot of different things to different people. I mean, some "good" elementary schools can be quite strict and stuck-in-their-ways, even if the academics are excellent, particularly if there's little innovation in programming or celebration of creativity. So my question is, can anyone speak to outstanding ELEMENTARY schools with excellent art or music programs, or alternative models/democratic schools, or schools where the community is rallied behind the students to provide them interesting computer or technology or performing arts programs? Broad question, I know, but I'm hoping to start my school research by sparking a celebration of excellent schools in the broadest definition of that term. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 PM

6,184 posts, read 11,627,763 times
I know that Santa Monica has two different progressive campuses. One is called the Santa Monica Alternative School House (SMASH) smash and the other has a spanish-english immersion program so all children attending the school become completely fluent in both languages.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:48 PM

38 posts, read 89,017 times
Thanks for the info on Santa Monica. Exactly the kind of local discussion I hoped to spark - but neglected to ask about language programs.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM

6,184 posts, read 11,627,763 times
it's actually kind of an interesting story how I found out about the language immersion progam. I was getting lunch at a little taco stand on the border of Venice and Santa Monica and saw this little white girl, probably 10 or 11 years old, having a conversation in spanish with a latino patron. i had no idea what they were talking about, but it was obvious that they were conversing back and forth. the mother of the little girl noticed the shock on my face, so we struck up a conversation and she told me all about the program. i thought that this was very cool and would certainly be interested in enrolling my future children in a program like this. hopefully i am still living in santa monica when i have school aged kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles