U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
 
1,722 posts, read 5,836,741 times
Reputation: 1522

Advertisements

You get what you look for. If you're not into the whole La-La-land scene, then you'll migrate to the areas and people more along the lines of what you're looking for. Frankly, you'd be amazed at the number of "elite" who are one paycheck from bankruptcy. Ignore them and don't play the game. Remember, it's not the 5% (elitists) on top or the 5% (criminals) on the bottom that matter. It's the other 90% who just live a normal life as best they can. Ignore all of the other noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,097 posts, read 23,652,498 times
Reputation: 8563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I've been told NOT to go west of the Mississippi river. Why? I wont like the people and the people won't like me.

I'm from the East Coast, I'm an average looking guy at best and not tall. I have people skills and a quiet confidence. I tend to be able to adapt to cultures.

The word on the street though is that people in your area and the surrounding area's like SD, SF, the beaches, and even into cities like Pheonix are very vein. The rumor is your very superficial, vein, narcisistic, shallow people who care nothing more than what car someone drives, where they fit in society, how they look and dress, who they know. I have met some people from California and they seem very adorable and interesting to me and I always get a kick out of them so maybe I am missing something, or maybe it's just the culture when your OVER THERE. Don't know.

In short is this true? In particular I am interested in hearing from transplants from the east coast or the south. You guys would notice the difference.
That's just a stupid, overblown and exaggerated stereotype. Stereotypes do exist for a reason but they are gross generalizations overall and not true for most people.

And most of those types of people that give CA a bad name are out of state transplants. People come here from other parts of the country and get this attitude that they are some how special and better b/c they are in CA now. You get big fishes from small ponds that don't realize that they are a small fish in a big pond now when they come here. And unfortunately b/c of the dominant industry in LA (entertainment) and the image LA and OC have, it will attract those wannabes. Native Californians are much more down to earth and real than a bunch of fake transplants coming here to try to live some stupid media driven stereotypical lifestyle that few people here actually live.

One thing I can't stand is this BS double standard people have. They say people in SoCal judge you on how you dress and look like. But at the same time turn around and talk about how we look as if we're all tan, have blonde hair, wear less clothing. Basically the pot calling the kettle black. Yeah it's sunnier and warmer here so we wear less clothes and are probably tanner, duh! Also people tend to be fit and exercise here and there are a fair amount of good looking people and that intimidates those with an inferiority complex and low self confidence and esteem. And those types try to blame others for their own insecurities it's pathetic.

CA has 36+ million people from all over the nation and world and you cannot generalize us now matter how hard you try or you think you can. This state is very diverse not just in different races and cultures but different types of people and mentalities. There will be those stereotypes you describe but a hell of lot more normal, down to earth people that could care less about the "image" of CA. Most people I know and encounter are nothing like what you describe, there will be some like that but not many or a majority.

Plus those CA stereotypes stick out like a sore thumb. Are you gonna notice the average Joe in a t-shirt and board shorts doing his normal thing or the surgically enhanced platinum blond driving around a sport beamer? Perception is often different than reality.

CA will pretty much any type of person you are looking for. You want rednecks, we have those. We also have hippies, gays, liberals, conservatives, bible thumper's, surfer bros, wannabe actors, soccer moms, etc...we pretty much have it all. But most of what we have are just normal, average Americans living their day to day lives in some of the best weather and scenery in this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM
 
433 posts, read 818,642 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's just a stupid, overblown and exaggerated stereotype. Stereotypes do exist for a reason but they are gross generalizations overall and not true for most people.

And most of those types of people that give CA a bad name are out of state transplants. People come here from other parts of the country and get this attitude that they are some how special and better b/c they are in CA now. You get big fishes from small ponds that don't realize that they are a small fish in a big pond now when they come here. And unfortunately b/c of the dominant industry in LA (entertainment) and the image LA and OC have, it will attract those wannabes. Native Californians are much more down to earth and real than a bunch of fake transplants coming here to try to live some stupid media driven stereotypical lifestyle that few people here actually live.

One thing I can't stand is this BS double standard people have. They say people in SoCal judge you on how you dress and look like. But at the same time turn around and talk about how we look as if we're all tan, have blonde hair, wear less clothing. Basically the pot calling the kettle black. Yeah it's sunnier and warmer here so we wear less clothes and are probably tanner, duh! Also people tend to be fit and exercise here and there are a fair amount of good looking people and that intimidates those with an inferiority complex and low self confidence and esteem. And those types try to blame others for their own insecurities it's pathetic.

CA has 36+ million people from all over the nation and world and you cannot generalize us now matter how hard you try or you think you can. This state is very diverse not just in different races and cultures but different types of people and mentalities. There will be those stereotypes you describe but a hell of lot more normal, down to earth people that could care less about the "image" of CA. Most people I know and encounter are nothing like what you describe, there will be some like that but not many or a majority.

Plus those CA stereotypes stick out like a sore thumb. Are you gonna notice the average Joe in a t-shirt and board shorts doing his normal thing or the surgically enhanced platinum blond driving around a sport beamer? Perception is often different than reality.

CA will pretty much any type of person you are looking for. You want rednecks, we have those. We also have hippies, gays, liberals, conservatives, bible thumper's, surfer bros, wannabe actors, soccer moms, etc...we pretty much have it all. But most of what we have are just normal, average Americans living their day to day lives in some of the best weather and scenery in this nation.
Well I know that I am not drawn to California because of the hollywood stereotypes. I am drawn to it BECAUSE of the diversity of groups of people. I am drawn to it BECAUSE it has something for everyone. I am drawn to it BECAUSE there are beaches everywhere and nice weather. I am drawn to it BECAUSE it is where everyone seems to be. It's not because of some sort of image. It's because if I want to go surfing I can, and then I can go skiing, and then I can go hit up the nightlife, and then I can go find some kind of group activity.

Lets not pretend that the State does not have it's problems though. The fact of the matter is that California costs more than most cities but does not make up for the cost of living with increased wages like many cities do. It's one of the only places where you can find someone who is getting paid $8 to work at an entry level job and be living in an apartment that costs 2,400 dollars a month. So the problem someone runs into in order to move there is that they are GOING to have to deal with some of this "elite" attitude to even make it into the door. Unless someone can transfer here with a pre-established and lucrative job, they have an very difficult climb. They have to find someone willing to rent out a room to them, because obviously they can't afford the rent yet. When your dealing with Elite people with superficial standards that can be very difficult. I have looked through the craigslist ads and people are asking for ridiculas amounts of money to SHARE rooms and then putting tons of stipulations on top of that.

Then you have the job situation. There is an insane amount of competition as it is. On top of that it seems that people are only interested in the elite as far as looks go for jobs as trivial as food service.

Maybe that is why this superficial and elite vibe is given off to the rest of the world. One could understand it if California didn't have so many vast problems like earthquakes, fires, widespread crime, pollution, and insane traffic issues. The fact remains however that California has spiralled out of control due to these things and seems content on driving out and making it as difficult as possible for anyone who is NOT elite to live there, based on the weather and the beaches I guess. There are plenty of other parts of the country that have beaches and good weather though.

I don't know how people are going there with not much money and being able to last there, I guess the concensus is that they are not. Maybe thats why there are so many homeless people.

I would love to move to California and I would love to be a part of all the good things about it that I mentioned in the beginning, but the general vibe seems to be that it's the hardest place to make it in America with the most odds stacked against you, and unlike some places, people arn't exactly out to help you in the least bit but only to make your job even more difficult, the humanity seems very weak. Perhaps native Californians simply resent tourists and migraters at this point -- blaming them for the downfall of California -- but I would think that those things are what origionally made California a lot of what it is today, those things that you pride yourself about California -- like having something for everyone and being diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,097 posts, read 23,652,498 times
Reputation: 8563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Well I know that I am not drawn to California because of the hollywood stereotypes. I am drawn to it BECAUSE of the diversity of groups of people. I am drawn to it BECAUSE it has something for everyone. I am drawn to it BECAUSE there are beaches everywhere and nice weather. I am drawn to it BECAUSE it is where everyone seems to be. It's not because of some sort of image. It's because if I want to go surfing I can, and then I can go skiing, and then I can go hit up the nightlife, and then I can go find some kind of group activity.
okay then you shouldn't have a problem meeting the types of people you like with those interests.
Quote:
Lets not pretend that the State does not have it's problems though. The fact of the matter is that California costs more than most cities but does not make up for the cost of living with increased wages like many cities do. It's one of the only places where you can find someone who is getting paid $8 to work at an entry level job and be living in an apartment that costs 2,400 dollars a month. So the problem someone runs into in order to move there is that they are GOING to have to deal with some of this "elite" attitude to even make it into the door. Unless someone can transfer here with a pre-established and lucrative job, they have an very difficult climb. They have to find someone willing to rent out a room to them, because obviously they can't afford the rent yet. When your dealing with Elite people with superficial standards that can be very difficult. I have looked through the craigslist ads and people are asking for ridiculas amounts of money to SHARE rooms and then putting tons of stipulations on top of that.
No one is pretending CA doesn't have problems, we obviously do but make up for it in other ways. We have our good and bad like everywhere else.

Someone making $8 an hour isn't going to be living in a $2400 month apartment and I don't even know where you would get that from. If they make that little they more than likely they are sharing an apartment with someone.
How are you going have to deal with this "elite" attitude? Unless you go to the wealthy areas of town to look for housing, which if you're making only $8 an hour you're not gonna do, you aren't going to find "elitists" everywhere. You seriously have these stupid stereotypes stuck in your head and try to justify it with some BS logic that is far from reality.

Plenty of people I have met have just come out here with some savings and found a job and have made it out here fine. You don't need to a lucrative job offer or transfer to make it here. It's not easy but who the hell in their right mind expects just picking up and moving across the country with no job to be easy anywhere?

And what makes you think every time you look for a room you're dealing with "elite" people or "superficial" standards? It's expensive so maybe that's why it seems ridiculous to you. When you're looking for a roommate on CL you gotta be careful b/c you never know you're gonna get. Most people I know have found good, down to earth people to live with or have people live with them.
Quote:
Then you have the job situation. There is an insane amount of competition as it is. On top of that it seems that people are only interested in the elite as far as looks go for jobs as trivial as food service.
And how does it "seem" like that???? Yeah b/c of all of those illegal immigrants in the food service industry were hired for their breathtaking looks......

Quote:
Maybe that is why this superficial and elite vibe is given off to the rest of the world. One could understand it if California didn't have so many vast problems like earthquakes, fires, widespread crime, pollution, and insane traffic issues. The fact remains however that California has spiralled out of control due to these things and seems content on driving out and making it as difficult as possible for anyone who is NOT elite to live there, based on the weather and the beaches I guess. There are plenty of other parts of the country that have beaches and good weather though.
Do you really believe everything you see and hear from the media or from "someone"? That superficial and elite vibe exists in people's heads and imaginations more so than anything else, like yours.

And our natural disasters are so OVERPLAYED and exaggerated. When was the last time CA had a major earthquake? Almost 15 years ago! More people have died from heat on the east coast in the past week than a CA earthquake in over a decade. More people have died in tornadoes just this past spring than wildfires and earthquakes combined in the last decade.

CA isn't all about "weather and beaches" either, especially Northern CA. Weather sucks in SF and so do the beaches yet it's the 2nd most expensive city in the US. Not all of us are beach bumming surfers that lay out in the sun all day, actually very few people are like that.

Crime is worse in many other states than CA and we have some of safest cities, and most dangerous.

Pollution is worse than many other states to and CA is not the most polluted.

Yeah we have 36 million people so traffic will be an issue.

Is it really a "FACT" that "California has spiralled out of control"?? based off of what? The FACT that we are the world's 7th or 8th largest economy. That our population continues to grow and people continue to come here. We have problems like elsewhere but it's not nearly as bad as you think or perceive it to be.

I'm not an "elite" nor is anyone I know an elite. Plenty of regular people from across the country have come here and made it fine. All the ones I've known to do it are anything but elite and are just average, normal people. If some fence hopping illegal can make it then there is no reason an average American can't do it.
Quote:
I don't know how people are going there with not much money and being able to last there, I guess the concensus is that they are not. Maybe thats why there are so many homeless people.

I would love to move to California and I would love to be a part of all the good things about it that I mentioned in the beginning, but the general vibe seems to be that it's the hardest place to make it in America with the most odds stacked against you.
The mild climate and other cities out of state busing their homeless here have to do with that situation.

You have a really negative mentality based off of BS stereotypes and honestly I don't think you should come here with that mindset. If you do all you will notice is these negative things that you seem to obsess over and actually believe as fact or reality. It's expensive here so that is going to make it harder but plenty of people do it.

CA has always been a very open minded and accepting place, which is probably why people are attracted to this place. When people feel out of place in their home state they come here many times. We have so many transplants from all different walk of life you can't generalize it. You just seem bitter than CA isn't exactly how you want it to be and that's it's not the easiest and cheapest place to move to. If you really want it then you can make the best of it and make it here, but you don't seem to have that can do attitude at all.

If you have never been here or experianced CA I don't see how you can have such strong and negative feelings about it. Just b/c someone says this and that and you see this or that in the media does not mean much. Like I said, perception is often different than reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM
 
Location: California
202 posts, read 466,633 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Maybe that is why this superficial and elite vibe is given off to the rest of the world. One could understand it if California didn't have so many vast problems like earthquakes, fires, widespread crime, pollution, and insane traffic issues. The fact remains however that California has spiralled out of control due to these things and seems content on driving out and making it as difficult as possible for anyone who is NOT elite to live there, based on the weather and the beaches I guess. There are plenty of other parts of the country that have beaches and good weather though.
I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until this part.

Yup, we're out of control crazy! Fires and earthquakes coming to getcha!! SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL! Better stay away.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get to my tanning appointment, because I have a busy evening of polishing my Bentley and laughing at the little people ahead of me.

/born and bred in CA
//getting along just fine, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
1,749 posts, read 7,457,788 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
im not sure about anyone else who lives here, but i choose my friends based on what car they drive.
Yup! Anyone driving an SUV has moral shortcomings ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,074 posts, read 18,043,539 times
Reputation: 3291
Eagle, have you ever been here? Are the examples that you are spouting off hypothetical or real life examples from people you've met?
I find it odd that you started this post with a question asking how "bad" people are in CA, when it appears that you've already made up your mind of how "bad" we actually are.

This is a nonsense thread and should be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM
 
1,479 posts, read 3,701,174 times
Reputation: 1111
Not all 38 Million of us Californians are alike,and people's experiences can also vary depending on location,since this is a huge state.

I've always said that California is like a blend of all the other 49 states all rolled into one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: West LA
2,318 posts, read 6,736,222 times
Reputation: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I've always said that California is like a blend of all the other 49 states all rolled into one.
How vain... just kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
 
1,722 posts, read 5,836,741 times
Reputation: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Yup! Anyone driving an SUV has moral shortcomings ~
Yep. I drive my '98 Ford Explorer 4K miles per year. Morally reprehensible or, perhaps, elitist.

ps- no, I didn't forget a "0" after the 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top