U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,412,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortaz View Post
Well the reason I posed this question is because I frequent an intersection with a left turn lane than has cars backed up into the thru traffic lane, and I look around and see people leaving tons of space, which if they pulled up farther would keep the cars out of the thru traffic lane. .
OK, in this particular situation I think I know why. Sometimes you have a choice of paths to get to your destination. In the example above you can go left or you can go straight. You would want to go whichever way the light turns green first, either a green left arrow or a green light to go straight. If you leave room ahead of you while in the left turn lane you could maneuver out of the left turn lane and into through traffic if the through traffic light turns green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,961,133 times
I leave between 1/2 a car length to 1 car length between my car and the car in front of me. I do this for a couple reasons...

1) If some nut job comes up to my car I have room to manuever away.
2) If the person ahead of me has a stick and messes up, they won't back into me.
3) If I get rear ended my car won't also hit the car ahead of me.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,918,739 times
co sign LASam. i stay far enough to circumvent stalled/sleepy cars and far enough not to bang into the in case of a rear end. but also in order to either A)move up to avoid loud music blaring from some fools car or B) move up to get a glance of a potential love interest...

but i never stay more than 1 car length behind, of course the notion of space is a lil skewed when behind a wheel. so whayt i think is a cars length might not be such.

i always see people cautiously edging out of a parking space afraid to hit another car when in fact they have plenty of room in front of them.
makes me chuckle.
especially people in SUV's.
their motto: "do i got enough space?"

Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 11,428 times
i hate that! grrr move up punk

Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM

830 posts, read 1,840,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_cali_girl View Post
i hate that! grrr move up punk
Haha!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM

557 posts, read 1,594,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I'm not sure why people do it. People also do it while driving, which is a big reason traffic is so bad in LA.

My guess is that people, in general, have just gotten desensitized to the fact that it's going to take you a long time to get anywhere in LA, so why rush? What's another 2 minutes sitting at this light or in this traffic jam. If there are enough people that think that way, and there are, you get LA's current traffic situation.

Along a similar line, why is it that while driving 10 mph down the freeway, so many people leave 4, 5, 6+ car lengths between them and the car in front? I can only assume ignorance or inconsideration. Ignorance to the fact that the larger the distance they leave, the longer the line of traffic and the longer it's going to take to get anywhere at a given speed, or inconsideration if they just don't care that they are impeding the flow of traffic. I would imagine it's a little of both.

People talk about leaving a 3 second following distance and such, but I've run the calculations and, given the volume of traffic in LA, abiding by traditional ideas such as the 3 second rule just isn't possible. A single day's worth of traffic on the 405 alone would take more than 40 hours to pass through if everyone followed the 3 second rule, for example. So "tailgating" is actually a requirement in LA.
There was a recent series of articles in the LA Times about gridlock and traffic in LA. L.A.'s commuters can't even go nowhere fast - Los Angeles Times

Read the part about the physics of a traffic jam. Basically when you tailgate and are constantly stopping and starting that makes the traffic worse. Give yourself enough space to slow down and not come to a complete stop. This will keep the traffic moving and it's more effecient and uses less gas. Back off Tailgater!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,711,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I leave between 1/2 a car length to 1 car length between my car and the car in front of me. I do this for a couple reasons...

1) If some nut job comes up to my car I have room to manuever away.
2) If the person ahead of me has a stick and messes up, they won't back into me.
3) If I get rear ended my car won't also hit the car ahead of me.
Same here.

I leave anywhere from 3/4 to 1 car length at times. I rarely see 3 car lengths unless its an old guy/magoo driver. very rare. You must drive around leisure world a lot.

4) suvs generally tend to come very close to my back bumper. I stay back so I have some roll up space to make up for their poor driving habits.
5) Suvs generally have poor brakes, I have some room to bail out or at least avoid being pushed into the car in front of me.
6) I will change lanes if necessary, but like to do so safely
7) some cars smell bad and need major engine work.
8) space will relieve your car engine of heat generated from the car ahead.
9) increases visibility to traffic ahead.

and finally the 10 ten reason to leave 3 car spaces...

10) If I see someone leaving more than 3 car lengths between them, its an open invitation to cut in front because they don't know where they are.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,485,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because if someone slams into the back of you...you won't be pushed into the car in front of you.

I can't stand tailgaters...so annoying!!
My words exactly!

You don't know what kind of emergency will happen. It's better to have a car length of space in case you have to move out of the lane for some reason rather than being so pressed behind some's ass that you're stuck & can't get out if you need to.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 PM

49,970 posts, read 47,075,405 times
cops says to leave a space so you can pull away in case of trouble, but 3 lengths seems like a lot.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM

5,539 posts, read 5,124,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because if someone slams into the back of you...you won't be pushed into the car in front of you.

I can't stand tailgaters...so annoying!!

Yeah. I thought EVERYONE knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles