Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,153 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Well, I've been lurking around here a bit and thought you all might have some great input/advice for me. I'm in my early 20's and currently reside in Pompano Beach, FL on the city line of Ft. Lauderdale, so I generally say I'm from Ft. Lauderdale to give people a better idea of my surroundings. Although I enjoy the area, it seems to be kind of dying down and does not have much to offer for someone my age, as more and more come down to retire here. That said, within the next year and half, I'll be looking to relocate and have a gut feeling that I'd be happier giving the west coast a shot. I've also lived in the NYC and greater Boston areas, so I'm not stranger to the east coast, or a fast paced lifestyle. So, I was wondering, where would anybody recommend checking out? Here are a few tidbits about me/what I would be interested in:
*I'm single, not a big partier, but do love nightlife and a good time when I'm in the mood.
*My interests are heavily on the side of art/music, love concerts, art shows, etc.
*I will be looking for reasonable monthly rent, studio or 1br for around $1000, the lower, the better.
*Although I'm a hairstylist, by that time I may be undergoing a career change. I'm currently an intern at a recording studio and am more than interested in continuing work behind the scenes in the music industry, so I'd like to be in an area with a heavy, heavy emphasis on a great music scene.
*I adjust well to new areas, open minded, etc.
*I've heard many things about LA and many about Ventura, but don't hold myself to either places.
*I'm willing to take any advice I can get!

Thank you all in advance, even for the help I've gotten by just lurking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 AM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
North Hollywood sounds like what you may be looking for.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 AM

15 posts, read 41,698 times
I lived in San Diego for 10 years and I know for sure that you will like there better. I moved to Florida and I just hate it. I do not like the people or weather but of course I love the nature is gorgeous. I am also a hairstylist just got my license and I know for sure there you will have lots of fun and also is where the money is. Another thing you will have to make more hours in school I think in CA is 1600 hours and get a new license. There they have theory and practical (you will have to show what you can do). Plus another good thing is that you can ask for a simple color and some highlights 120 dollars or more.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:35 AM
gio

7 posts, read 15,573 times
I definitely think LA is for you if you are cute and outgoing. Tons of nightlife here and sooooo many things to do for single people. Do you know anyone here though cause it can get a little lonely if you don't. I am a hairstylist here but have noticed especially in Beverly Hills or west hollywood area that if you do not have a clientele already, you are either going to have to apprentice or go to a salon and network the hell out of yourself. You have to hustle out here whether you decide to continue in the trade your in or venture elsewhere. It is all who you know. I highly recommend you get a job before coming out here unless you are a trustfund baby or will be getting help from mom and dad. LA is very expensive and $1000 for rent is nothing especially if you are going to be on the westside(why would you want to be anywhere else). Good luck....it is the city of possibilities.....and you are young so go for it!!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
There are tons of hair dressers here in LA so you'll have a LOT of competition. That said, I think you'll be happy in Burbank or Culver City. Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
LA is certainly the capitol of the music industry, but its all about who you know out here. To be in music production, you'll either need to be extremely talented at what you do, know someone who can get you into the biz, or be really good at selling yourself. Another thing, I work on the business side of the music industry and things aren't looking so hot right now and the future looks worse. I don't mean to rain on your parade, as you would probably really like LA, you just may want to consider something other than music if you're moving out here.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,153 times
thanks for all the help guys! BRinSM, yeah, i noticed that about the music industry unfortunately. i'm looking at all possible avenues, so we'll see what happens. as far as hair goes, i figured there'd be alot of competition, i don't really want to continue with it, it's just going to be something that i would do to get by if i needed it...anywho...i'll check out the aforementioned areas, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles