Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

there aint been a catalyst as of late...

the last mini riot was the lakers related ones. but those were isolated disturbnaces. nothing major.

not that there is ever a "reason" to riot, but there really hasnt been a reason to.

if there was ever guna be one it would have been after the macarthur park mess on mayday. but nothing happened. so much for "aztlaners".

boy, the paranoia is truly laughable sometimes...

i prefer to stay riot free tho. no more ash raining down please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:08 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
That riot was related to a perceived injustice and the fact that there was video of the "crime" that could be played over and over again.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
The point is to make a change. Africa is fighting a losing battle with poverty/AIDS/starvation/civil wars. We are all fighting a losing battle with oil prices. The states bordering Mexico are fighting a losing battle with immigration. Should we just call it quits and give up? I don't think that this reflects the America that anyone of us was raised in or wants to be a part of.
I'll tell you what: you tell me a productive solution that has a real chance of success, not a guarantee of success, but a real chance of success, and I'll put 100% into it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
I thought part of the problem was,

-Economic, the recession of the early 90's

-The LAPD's excessive force, racial profiling and distrust of them

-The Rodney King video

-And didn't a Korean shop owner kill a black kid (boy or girl), a couple months before that. I don't remember the sentence, but that was part of the spark for the black rioters vs the korean shop owners. I remember the Korean liquor store owners, etc with shotguns on the roof of their businesses.

It seems like since then, LA has been one big party (whether that's good or bad I don't know). There are more foreigners now than then. Huge increase in the rich and poor.

There's alot of new money and new glitz (Rick Caruso lifestyle money, with the Americana or Grove). And downtown.

If you could have predicted all this, I would have thought no way does it stay together.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
these days, i think people in south LA neighborhoods are too concerned about the all the stinking garbage and dead livestock to worry about the police. i know i would be.

Illegal dumping plagues some Los Angeles neighborhoods - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-dumping16-2008jun16,0,494575.story - broken link)

Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
-Wages are nowhere near where they were then.
Yes, they are higher.

CARPE DIEM: Real Hourly Compensation Has Increased

By the way, it is estimated that Mexico has about nine or ten years of oil remaining. You think immigration problems are bad now (bad enough to be banned as a topic on the California and Los Angeles City Data forums)

Mexico, one of the world's biggest oil producers, is running out - International Herald Tribune

OIL-MEXICO: MEXICO RAPIDLY EXHAUSTING ITS OIL RESERVES. Industry & Business Article - Research, News, Information, Contacts, Divisions, Subsidiaries, Business Associations

Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
The demographic shift in LA since the 92 Riots has been one of the reasons that there hasn't been an uprising as of yet. Many of the Blacks that were living in South Central LA at that time have left inner city LA for Palmdale/Lancaster, Riverside/SanBernardino, Atlanta, Las Vegas, DFW, etc. The population that has begun to take over those areas vacated by "Black Flight" have yet to see their own "Rodny King" incident. However, they are attempting to hasten the "Black Flight" movement with an extermination of sorts. Sad but true...and finally acknowledged by the powers that be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles