U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 AM

5 posts, read 18,719 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of tenants being charged "common area maintenance" (CAM) fees for residential leases? If someone was to pay a flat fee, does it mean that the money can be kept by management even if it is not properly accounted? I've tried to do research on this topic and I cannot find anything.

Most of applies to commercial leases but nothing about residential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 AM

26 posts, read 68,094 times
It is not uncommon to be charged separately for Common Area Maintenance. CAM refers to the routine maintenance of any areas or utilities which are shared by all tenants. Examples are landscaping, maintenance of a shared pool, lighting for hallways, outdoor lighting, etc.

CAM is an expense which is incurred by all landlords of multi-unit properties, it's just that different landlords charge tenants for CAM in different ways. Many landlords will just incorporate this charge into the base rent. They can do this because the total cost of CAM simply needs to be divided evenly among the total number of tenants, as all tenants enjoy the benefits of the maintenance equally.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Question Not all tenants are paying CAM

Not all tenants are paying CAMs in our building. In respect to Common area, we don't have any but the hall ways to and from the elevator to our doors. It so happens that there are a few tenants paying CAMs for the entire building.

Can CAM legally be a revenue for the owners?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM

7,074 posts, read 18,049,991 times
between this post and the other you made it sounds like you really need to find a new place to live. it sure doesn't sound like its worth all the trouble you are going through imho.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:36 PM

26 posts, read 68,094 times
I'm not sure about the legalities of accountability, but money collected for CAM should be going towards some type of maintenace cost, even if it's just the power bill for the lighting of the hallways or something like that.

I'm not sure why, in this case, your landlord is only charging some tenants for CAM and not others. Can you find a pattern between all the tenants who are paying CAM? For example, a landlord might legitimately be able to charge only upper-floor tenants for the costs associated with running and maintaining an elevator, since first-floor residents do not use the service.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM

I don't believe having to pay that much and dealing with this crap is worth it personally. With that said, I am sticking through because it is the principle. This is the first time that the tenants have stuck together to fight back and I want to be there to support my neighbors. It is rare nowadays to see that kind of "community."

It might be a personality thing, but I can be stubborn when I believe in a cause. Protecting my friends happens to be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles