U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,098,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa311 View Post
Some of you from LA might find this interesting:

I am a 27 yr-old (white) female from WI, college graduate, now professional, and I am currently doing housecleaning (hard work!) and dogsitting for a family here to make extra money for my move to LA next spring. I suppose you might find this odd?!

It is 100% "normal" here for teens, and even college kids, that come from good families, to work at fast food places, grocery stores, etc. Never thought anything of it. Is it really that unheard of in LA to see anyone besides hispanics doing these types of jobs?
Theres so many other places to work than fast food.
Serving/bussing/or hosting at restaurants, retail, customer service, catering. Those kinds of jobs aren't really available to people who can't speak English very well, and you make a lot more than flipping burgers.

Most middle class teens wouldn't be caught dead making fries in a 120 degree, greasy kitchen in mcdonald's for 39.5 hours a week. At least in big cities where theres plenty of other more pleasant entry-level jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-03-2008, 10:51 PM

30 posts, read 56,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Some teenagers from middle class and upscale families do still work at those jobs. Mostly because they want to or they have parents who instill a good work ethic in them. But we are now finding out now, it is not usually in the best interest of the teenager. With minimal part time hours that pay minimum wage, it does not help them much. They don't learn the neccessary skills that would benefit them in the working world. Not really. I worked at Carl's Jr. my senior year of high school. I didn't work that many hours and I was not able to save any $ for college. Just pocket money. I missed games, dances and other school functions. My homework suffered too. Rent the movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It addresses this issue. If teenagers want to work these days, they are competing for jobs with uneducated immigrant Hispanics. In the 70's, you would find American teenagers delivering newspapers on their bicycles, working at car washes, gardening, babysitting, and working at fast food restaurants. Now, here in Southern CA, immigrants are doing those jobs. Mostly from Mexico and Central America. In other states in the midwest or south, you would see mostly American citizens doing those jobs. I understand this is not the anti-immigration thread. Maybe this post doesn't belong here. I know many people do not agree with what I have said. Being born and raised in LA County, this is what I have observed. Don't mean any offense whatsoever. Please do not take it personally.

I really think what you describe here is particular to LA, or at least that is not the mindset up here. I had my first job at Dairy Queen at age 16, which helped me to learn resposibility, work ethic and helped me to buy my first car. I also worked at the local grocery store, then at a Walgreens, and waitressed all throughout college. For 2 summers I worked at a factory, grinding imperfections off metal parts and making wax molds. A few of my college friends worked there in the summers as well. Granted, WI doesnt have a HUGE hispanic/immigrant population, so maybe that's why things are still the way they are here.

I don't know, because I obviously haven't lived in LA yet, but I get the sense that people that have lived there either their entire lives or for many years think that what is the 'norm' there is the way it is most other places in the country. Someone else made the comment that the "phenomenon is nationwide." I think if anything, people that migrate to WI/Madison increase the competition not in the manual labor/service industry, but in the professional occupations such as doctors, professors etc. Madison is extremely diverse and there is constantly an increase in Asian, Indian, and other ethnicities coming here and taking a lot of the technical/medical well paying jobs.

Anyway, I guess my point is, the mindset in LA is much different than probably a large chunk of at least the midwest. This might not be news to you, but I just get this feeling that people view service jobs as so lowly and out of the question, even for teens. I guess I start to think, what if I wanted to do cleaning as a second job when I get to LA for extra money? Believe it or not, I actually enjoy cleaning...weird! Would I be looked down upon like some low class servant or something?!

I'm just trying to understand. I think I have a lot to learn/pick up on about LA culture. =)

Unread 09-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Theres so many other places to work than fast food.
Serving/bussing/or hosting at restaurants, retail, customer service, catering. Those kinds of jobs aren't really available to people who can't speak English very well, and you make a lot more than flipping burgers.

Most middle class teens wouldn't be caught dead making fries in a 120 degree, greasy kitchen in mcdonald's for 39.5 hours a week. At least in big cities where theres plenty of other more pleasant entry-level jobs.
Yeah, it's obviously not an ideal job, and maybe it just seems more common here because there aren't as many other part time jobs to choose from.

Unread 09-03-2008, 11:07 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,098,949 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's obviously not an ideal job, and maybe it just seems more common here because there aren't as many other part time jobs to choose from.
Thats my theory, anyways. In smaller towns, you see more middle class teens, or non-Hispanic people working those kind of jobs because there isn't as many businesses around.

In larger cities like LA, the retail market is so diverse, fast food isn't as desireable a place to work. Unless at In-N-Out. You can actually get benefits working there, lol.

Unread 09-03-2008, 11:31 PM

330 posts, read 836,945 times
Thumbs up The fast food industry

Quote:
I really think what you describe here is particular to LA, or at least that is not the mindset up here. I had my first job at Dairy Queen at age 16, which helped me to learn resposibility, work ethic and helped me to buy my first car. I also worked at the local grocery store, then at a Walgreens, and waitressed all throughout college. For 2 summers I worked at a factory, grinding imperfections off metal parts and making wax molds. A few of my college friends worked there in the summers as well. Granted, WI doesnt have a HUGE hispanic/immigrant population, so maybe that's why things are still the way they are here.

I don't know, because I obviously haven't lived in LA yet, but I get the sense that people that have lived there either their entire lives or for many years think that what is the 'norm' there is the way it is most other places in the country. Someone else made the comment that the "phenomenon is nationwide." I think if anything, people that migrate to WI/Madison increase the competition not in the manual labor/service industry, but in the professional occupations such as doctors, professors etc. Madison is extremely diverse and there is constantly an increase in Asian, Indian, and other ethnicities coming here and taking a lot of the technical/medical well paying jobs.

Anyway, I guess my point is, the mindset in LA is much different than probably a large chunk of at least the midwest. This might not be news to you, but I just get this feeling that people view service jobs as so lowly and out of the question, even for teens. I guess I start to think, what if I wanted to do cleaning as a second job when I get to LA for extra money? Believe it or not, I actually enjoy cleaning...weird! Would I be looked down upon like some low class servant or something?!

I'm just trying to understand. I think I have a lot to learn/pick up on about LA culture. =)
Carl' Jr. wasn't the end of my fast food jobs. After HS graduation, I worked at a deli and later at Arby's. In college, I worked at Ralph's market, Bob's Big Boy, El Torito, and Mervyns. I bought my first car with my paycheck and tips I earned at Bob's Big Boy. Yes, the tips made a big difference in how much $ I could save toward a car. I continued to work evenings and weekends waitressing after I graduated from college and began working at a school district. (CA is expensive!) Most of us teenagers liked and appreciated our jobs. I learned how to manage my time and be organized. How to work with people and serve the public. If teenagers aren't going to be able to make that much $ at their part time jobs in high school, it is not worth their grades suffering, not getting into a university or missing out on events they only have one chance to experience. They have their whole lives ahead of them to work and there is competition from other types of employees already mentioned for these jobs.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-03-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Unread 09-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Trade offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
8. Great economic opportunities.
9. Great weather
10. Fantastic educational opportunities - there are so many!
11. Museums, museums, museums
12. National parks, national forests, skiing weekends.

Like mosquitoes, rain, economic depression, dreary grey skies for months on end....
No place is perfect. There are definitely trade offs. I listed some of the pros in Southern CA that are keeping people here. I have listed the cons of living in Southern CA that are causing people to leave on previous threads.

Southern CA-Pros and Cons
Other States-Pros and Cons

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-03-2008 at 11:56 PM..

Unread 09-03-2008, 11:41 PM

Cool, makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

I've been working 2 jobs for most of the last 10 yrs or so and am sick of it, but am going to keep at it at least until i move in the spring. Though I am kind of looking forward to eventually getting a bartending or cocktail waitressing job out there if I need extra $ because hopefully it will be a way to meet some people.?

Unread 09-03-2008, 11:51 PM

Thumbs up Service jobs

Quote:
Cool, makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

I've been working 2 jobs for most of the last 10 yrs or so and am sick of it, but am going to keep at it at least until i move in the spring. Though I am kind of looking forward to eventually getting a bartending or cocktail waitressing job out there if I need extra $ because hopefully it will be a way to meet some people.?
That is a great idea! I know people that couldn't get out of the food service industry even after they got out of college and into their professions. I was one of those people. Sometimes people need to wait it out before entering the workforce in their chosen careers. I know of a guy that graduated with an engineering degree and was serving at IHOP until he decided where to go from there. You know that you can always do waitressing and bartending to supplement your income. It is better to make more money there, than spend it during the week on entertainment or buying drinks in bars and clubs. You get to know the customers and employees. Make some friends while you work. When the opportunity presents itself, you will have one full time job and you won't want or need 2. Good Luck!

Unread 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM

I lived in Eastern Washington near Spokane in the mid 90's. I did not see that many Hispanics or other ethnic groups. I have not lived or visited that many states to see the demographics in person. That was 12 years ago. I see it may have changed since then.

Unread 09-04-2008, 07:52 AM

5,612 posts, read 8,795,417 times
What's amazing to me is that rather allowing the place they are from to benefit from their education and develop businesses and create jobs, people would rather pay way too much to live in a place where they believe money grows on trees. Yesterday on the news they said that only 11% of Angelenos can afford to buy a home here. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles