Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 PM

30 posts, read 90,433 times

Advertisements

Some of you from LA might find this interesting:

I am a 27 yr-old (white) female from WI, college graduate, now professional, and I am currently doing housecleaning (hard work!) and dogsitting for a family here to make extra money for my move to LA next spring. I suppose you might find this odd?!

It is 100% "normal" here for teens, and even college kids, that come from good families, to work at fast food places, grocery stores, etc. Never thought anything of it. Is it really that unheard of in LA to see anyone besides hispanics doing these types of jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM

330 posts, read 1,313,938 times
Thumbs down Bilingual Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
What sorts of jobs typically require bilingual ability?

ETA: I see that this post crossed the one above it naming some of the jobs currently requiring bilingual ability. Thanks, that helps.
"Bilingual Required"

Cities with a high Hispanic populations: Call Center, Customer service, food server, mechanic, warehouse supervisor, etc.,

Professional positions include: Early Childhood Education Teachers, Asssociate Teachers, Assistants, Site Supervisors. After School Program Coordinator, Speech Therapist, Social Worker, Probation Officer, Parole Officer, Policeman, Firefighter, Public Defender, Guidance Counselors, etc.

Again it is mostly government and civil service postions in LA County. Sometimes Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. In high density Hispanic cities, bilingualism is required even for entry level service industry positions. Ask anyone who lives here and has attempted to apply for jobs in those geographical areas. There are exceptions, I am sure. But, it is still difficult. I know it is hard for people living in other states to believe this or understand.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Question Teenagers working

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa311 View Post

I am a 27 yr-old (white) female from WI, college graduate, now professional, and I am currently doing housecleaning (hard work!) and dogsitting for a family here to make extra money for my move to LA next spring. I suppose you might find this odd?!

It is 100% "normal" here for teens, and even college kids, that come from good families, to work at fast food places, grocery stores, etc. Never thought anything of it. Is it really that unheard of in LA to see anyone besides hispanics doing these types of jobs?
Some teenagers from middle class and upscale families do still work at those jobs. Mostly because they want to or they have parents who instill a good work ethic in them. But we are now finding out now, it is not usually in the best interest of the teenager. With minimal part time hours that pay minimum wage, it does not help them much. They don't learn the neccessary skills that would benefit them in the working world. Not really. I worked at Carl's Jr. my senior year of high school. I didn't work that many hours and I was not able to save any $ for college. Just pocket money. I missed games, dances and other school functions. My homework suffered too. Rent the movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It addresses this issue. If teenagers want to work these days, they are competing for jobs with uneducated immigrant Hispanics. In the 70's, you would find American teenagers delivering newspapers on their bicycles, working at car washes, gardening, babysitting, and working at fast food restaurants. Now, here in Southern CA, immigrants are doing those jobs. Mostly from Mexico and Central America. In other states in the midwest or south, you would see mostly American citizens doing those jobs. I understand this is not the anti-immigration thread. Maybe this post doesn't belong here. I know many people do not agree with what I have said. Being born and raised in LA County, this is what I have observed. Don't mean any offense whatsoever. Please do not take it personally.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-03-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
That was before. Now, most jobs are being stolen from Hispanics. Look at all the "Bilingual Required" job postings. That includes upscale, professional positions that require a college education. Try working in education, child development, social services, probation or law enforcement without the ability to speak fluent Spanish. Speaking Spanish is high in demand and an asset in Southern CA. It is required not preferred. There are some pockets that do not have such a high Hispanic Spanish-speaking population. But, there are few and far between. This is not such an issue in the bible belt states that are less liberal, progressive, tolerant and have more patriotism and control over foreigners and immigrants who choose to live and work in their communities.
One of top reasons to leave LA. Making us of one's degree when one has a degree in Behavorial Sciences....the degree needed for those jobs is next to impossible.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa311 View Post

Once upon a time, this was the norm here. Most fast food, retail jobs were done by teens. Now those jobs are dominated by Hispanics.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM

488 posts, read 819,356 times
Can't we all just get along?

Come on, everybody, let's sing...Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Thumbs down LA Bilingual Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
Can't we all just get along?

Come on, everybody, let's sing...Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya...
We are getting along. Aren't we?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Thumbs down Staying in Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
No where is safe these days. I don't understand why people continue to have kids in the LA area when they know its not safe.
I will tell you why people are continuing to raise their children in Los Angeles and depriving them of a higher quality childhood and successful future:

1. The Beach.
2. Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios,
and Pacific of the Aquarium.
3. The Dogers, Lakers and Angels.
4. The Bruins and Trogans.
5. Gorditas, sopes, flautas, chorizo, menudo, pastor, barbocoa, pollo
carnitas, carne asada, tamarindo and horchata on every corner.
6. Weekend trips to Las Vegas, Palm Springs and San Diego.
7. Their friends and family.
8. They don't want to quit their jobs and look for another one.
9. They don't have the $ or gas to drive out of here.
10. They don't have the $ or airline tickets to fly out of here.
11. They can't or won't sell their house
12. They don't know how to make new friends.
13. They don't know what they are missing.

And many more reasons....

Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
In other states in the midwest or south, you would see mostly American citizens doing those jobs. .
Not any more. This phenomenon is nationwide.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
Quote:
I will tell you why people are continuing to raise their children in Los Angeles and depriving them of a higher quality childhood and successful future:

1. The Beach.
2. Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios,
and Pacific of the Aquarium.
3. The Dogers, Lakers and Angels.
4. The Bruins and Trojans.
5. Gorditas, sopes, flautas, chorizo, menudo, pastor, barbocoa, pollo
carnitas, carne asada, tamarindo and horchata on every corner.
6. Weekend trips to Las Vegas, Palm Springs and San Diego.
7. Their friends and family.
8. Great economic opportunities.
9. Great weather
10. Fantastic educational opportunities - there are so many!
11. Museums, museums, museums
12. National parks, national forests, skiing weekends.

Quote:
13. They don't know what they are missing.
Like mosquitoes, rain, economic depression, dreary grey skies for months on end....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles