Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I haven't said I was closing it yet. If this thread goes back to talking about the relationship between whites and hispanics, that's fine. If it degenerates into yet another rant about illegal immigration, then yes, it will be closed.

In regards to affirmative action in California universities, there have been several lawsuits, and at the federal level, the edict is that while race can be one determining factor, it can't be the only factor in deciding to admit a student. How this works in practice I have no idea (how do you prove that other factors were also prevalent?), but there are no "quotas". Besides, my daughter, who is white, is in her last semester at UC Berkeley. How did she get in? She went to community college for two years, got excellent grades, and transferred. There is more than one path if you want an education badly enough.

My son works at Ralph's. Yes, he has turned his nose up at fast food restaurants, and who can blame him? I wouldn't want to work at McDonald's either.

The interesting part of this is that my kids don't think of any of this. They're too busy living their lives, and getting on with it. To them, people are just people, bad or good.

I'm not going to get into illegal immigration. That's why City-Data has a completely separate forum for it, where you are welcome to post to your hearts' content.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immigration/

Good post. Youre kids have a great attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,713 times
Wow Texasturkey everything you have posted hit the nail on the head. I am white & grew up in southern California and worked in fast food, factories, and other low paying customer service jobs and never thought about class or nationalities until moving away from that area and dealing with social class issues more in San Bernardino, LA, & now San Jose. I find myself very frustrated & thinking about nationalities differently now. I currently live in a 98% Hispanic area and am a teacher. I am appalled at all the Hispanics who live here and have children but do not even try to become a part of the American culture. I have worked very hard to become a teacher and live a normal life and never thought I would view the world this way, but I am filled with rage knowing that I cannot afford the middle class life style I worked so hard for. I want to have a family and home. I live in the "poor" community and will never be able to afford a house, I pay huge amounts of taxes so that Hispanics can come here and have tons of kids, get free education, a good life, but do not even appreciate it nor do they want to be Americans. So to answer the original question I think true Americans no matter their backgrounds get along just fine. My husband is half Mexican & half white, I never think “oh I married a Hispanic man”, he is just my amazing husband. But when I look at whole communities of Hispanics who do not care to learn English, help their children do their school work, get free lunches, and everything else, then I would say the relationship is hostile, this exist in all areas flooded with over whelming numbers of Hispanics. LA, San Jose, Imperial Valley, Fresno, Medesto, parts of Texas, Denver, the list goes on and on.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 PM

488 posts, read 1,513,297 times
It is possible that your rage over not receiving the lifestyle you feel entitled to could be affecting your views (possibly). If Abraham Lincoln had his way California would still be part of Mexico. I know Mexico lost the war but that don't make it right. I think it is sad that people close doors to such rich veins of culture because of predisposed notions. Maybe Latinos don't see an "American" culture they relate to. The only true American culture I see comes from the black traditions of blues and jazz. Don't get me wrong; the freedom of speech that is still left in America is a beautiful thing and the cultural melding from the "melting pot" is probably my favorite aspect of LA. I love this place. There are always reasons behind how people behave. If you believe their race is that reason, well......

Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,224 times
Default Race Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I haven't said I was closing it yet. If this thread goes back to talking about the relationship between whites and hispanics, that's fine. If it degenerates into yet another rant about illegal immigration, then yes, it will be closed.

In regards to affirmative action in California universities, there have been several lawsuits, and at the federal level, the edict is that while race can be one determining factor, it can't be the only factor in deciding to admit a student. How this works in practice I have no idea (how do you prove that other factors were also prevalent?), but there are no "quotas". Besides, my daughter, who is white, is in her last semester at UC Berkeley. How did she get in? She went to community college for two years, got excellent grades, and transferred. There is more than one path if you want an education badly enough.

My son works at Ralph's. Yes, he has turned his nose up at fast food restaurants, and who can blame him? I wouldn't want to work at McDonald's either.

The interesting part of this is that my kids don't think of any of this. They're too busy living their lives, and getting on with it. To them, people are just people, bad or good.

I'm not going to get into illegal immigration. That's why City-Data has a completely separate forum for it, where you are welcome to post to your hearts' content.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/immigration/
Your kids don't think about any of this? They are busy living their lives and getting on with it? People are people, bad or good?

I am busy living my life too. Have you or your kids experienced any of these numbers I listed previously? If not, give it time. Many people living here in Southern CA are so far in denial, it is unbelievable. That is their choice not to take off their rose-colored glasses. I do not have problems with Hispanics or other ethnic groups. Many are friends, coworkers and people I go to church with. I try not to dwell on race, affirmative action or reversed discrimination. I just see and experience things that are very unfair to tax paying American citizens. Especially when applying for jobs and finding out fluent Spanish is required. In an English-speaking country! Or, when my brother graduated at the top of his Fire Academy class, and couldn't get hired as a firefighter because minorities had first priority. He was told that by the administrators of the program and the Fire Chief himself. When my Father became ill, My mother couldn't get a housecleaning job at the hospital because the jobs were reserved for Non-English, Spanish-speaking women. The HR person said if my Mother was to be hired, they would harass her and get her to quit. You and your son don't want to work at Mc Donald's. That is fine. I worked at a market, fast food places, restaurants, department stores and as a janitor. I had no preference.

Since the 90's, UCLA and USC has had aggressive recruiting campaigns and special interest programs that target Hispanic students. Particularly Latino studies and Spanish majors. USC did something similar. Maybe because it is LA, I don't know. May or may not be quotas. But, White students got last priority. They applied to other UC or CSU's. No white person should be denied an entry level job. Or, no Hispanic person should be denied medical school. (Based on race) All people should have equal opportunities for the jobs they want to work and colleges they want to attend. I work in Lynwood during the year and Compton in the summer. I see students coming from Mexico and Central America illegally, getting special services and equipment being paid for by the USA state and federal government, for their educational needs. In Mexico, they would be home all day and denied the opportunity to go to school.

Maybe some people are more affected by this issue than others. Many people don't think much of it. This is all they know. I am not raging. Just replying to a post. People have different views. This is not an anti-immigration thread. So, I will stop right here.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-05-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 PM

"In Mexico, they would be home all day and denied the opportunity to go to school."

What better reason to move. Why would anyone deny anyone else basic rights. What the hell does race or nationality have to do with anything? Anyone who buys anything pays taxes around here. The laws do not allow them (illegals anyway) to pay income taxes. I am sure immigrants would have no problem paying any taxes required. Believe it or not I am no hippie. I am just f'-ing human.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Your kids don't think about any of this? They are busy living their lives and getting on with it? People are people, bad or good?

I am busy living my life too. Have you or your kids experienced any of these numbers I listed previously? If not, give it time. Many people living here in Southern CA are so far in denial, it is unbelievable. That is their choice not to take off their rose-colored glasses. I do not have problems with Hispanics or other ethnic groups. Many are friends, coworkers and people I go to church with. I try not to dwell on race, affirmative action or reversed discrimination. I just see and experience things that are very unfair to tax paying American citizens. Especially when applying for jobs and finding out fluent Spanish is required. In an English-speaking country! Or, when my brother graduated at the top of his Fire Academy class, and couldn't get hired as a firefighter because minorities had first priority. He was told that by the administrators of the program and the Fire Chief himself. When my Father became ill, My mother couldn't get a housecleaning job at the hospital because the jobs were reserved for Non-English, Spanish-speaking women. The HR person said if my Mother was to be hired, they would harass her and get her to quit. You and your son don't want to work at Mc Donald's. That is fine. I worked at a market, fast food places, restaurants, department stores and as a janitor. I had no preference.

Since the 90's, UCLA and USC has had aggressive recruiting campaigns and special interest programs that target Hispanic students. Particularly Latino studies and Spanish majors. USC did something similar. Maybe because it is LA, I don't know. May or may not be quotas. But, White students got last priority. They applied to other UC or CSU's. No white person should be denied an entry level job. Or, no Hispanic person should be denied medical school. (Based on race) All people should have equal opportunities for the jobs they want to work and colleges they want to attend. I work in Lynwood during the year and Compton in the summer. I see students coming from Mexico and Central America illegally, getting special services and equipment being paid for by the USA state and federal government, for their educational needs. In Mexico, they would be home all day and denied the opportunity to go to school.

Maybe some people are more affected by this issue than others. Many people don't think much of it. This is all they know. I am not raging. Just replying to a post. People have different views. This is not an anti-immigration thread. So, I will stop right here.
You mean theres more???

Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 AM

Question Moving here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
"In Mexico, they would be home all day and denied the opportunity to go to school."

What better reason to move. Why would anyone deny anyone else basic rights. What the hell does race or nationality have to do with anything? Anyone who buys anything pays taxes around here. The laws do not allow them (illegals anyway) to pay income taxes. I am sure immigrants would have no problem paying any taxes required. Believe it or not I am no hippie. I am just f'-ing human.
They are not simply moving to get their basic rights. They are crossing the border into another country illegally. That is against the law and a crime punishable by law. It is Mexico's responsibility to serve their own citizens. It is not the responsibility of the USA. It is stealing. Many work at jobs w/o the paperwork and W2 form for tax purposes. They are unable to do so without a social security number. So, they don't file or pay taxes. Pro-human is what people are calling it now? I needed to respond and clarify some things. Maybe if you worked in education or the healthcare industry like so many of us, you will have a clearer perspective and would feel differently. But, you don't and we disagree. That is all right. Live and let live.

If posters keep bringing this up, this thread will be closed. This is the wrong thread for this discussion.
Let's get back to the original thread:

Relationship between whites and hispanics

My relationships are just great!

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-06-2008 at 01:52 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 AM

Question Cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
It is possible that your rage over not receiving the lifestyle you feel entitled to could be affecting your views (possibly). If Abraham Lincoln had his way California would still be part of Mexico. I know Mexico lost the war but that don't make it right. I think it is sad that people close doors to such rich veins of culture because of predisposed notions. Maybe Latinos don't see an "American" culture they relate to. The only true American culture I see comes from the black traditions of blues and jazz. Don't get me wrong; the freedom of speech that is still left in America is a beautiful thing and the cultural melding from the "melting pot" is probably my favorite aspect of LA. I love this place. There are always reasons behind how people behave. If you believe their race is that reason, well......
I am interested in other countries and cultures: Asian, Mexican, Cuban, African-American, Jamaican, Ethiopian, Indian, Native American, Italian, Russian, Polish, Scandinavian and so on....

It may seem at times that people of certain ethnic cultures are only interested in preserving their own and have no interest in anyone else's. I am sure not everyone is like that. But, this is what I have often observed.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
They are not simply moving to get their basic rights. They are crossing the border into another country illegally. That is against the law and a crime punishable by law. It is Mexico's responsibility to serve their own citizens. It is not the responsibility of the USA. It is stealing. Many work at jobs w/o the paperwork and W2 form for tax purposes. They are unable to do so without a social security number. So, they don't file or pay taxes. Pro-human is what people are calling it now? I needed to respond and clarify some things. We do not have the same opinion. That is all right. Live and let live.

If posters keep bringing this up, this thread will be closed. This is the wrong thread for this discussion.

Point taken. I really do respect other's opinions. I honestly think there are things more important than laws. As far as the original thread goes I love and respect all regardless of race and borders. I do try to obey the law unless it contradicts logic or my own sense of morality. Responsibility is a personal issue I guess. What seems clear to me is not always seen as clear to others. But how can you argue with pro-human?

Old 09-06-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
They are not simply moving to get their basic rights. They are crossing the border into another country illegally. That is against the law and a crime punishable by law. It is Mexico's responsibility to serve their own citizens. It is not the responsibility of the USA. It is stealing. Many work at jobs w/o the paperwork and W2 form for tax purposes. They are unable to do so without a social security number. So, they don't file or pay taxes. Pro-human is what people are calling it now? I needed to respond and clarify some things. We do not have the same opinion. That is all right. Live and let live.

Point taken. I really do respect other's opinions. I honestly think there are things more important than laws. As far as the original thread goes I love and respect all regardless of race and borders. I do try to obey the law unless it contradicts logic or my own sense of morality. Responsibility is a personal issue I guess. What seems clear to me is not always seen as clear to others. But how can you argue with pro-human?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles