Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,226 times

Advertisements

I am single , 22 and don't have many expenses and want to save money so I can take night classes. I will not have instate residency status for college until next march but I want to start saving as much as possible now. I need to know how low the rent at government subsidized apartments can go.

So far I've been searching for a new place mostly through google/craigslist. I was able to find living room living rentals, shared studios, and other communal living situations in my budget range of $500. Most include all utilities and shared internet but offer very little privacy.

I make a little over $18,000 a year and I believe I may qualify to live in low income housing. My lease at my current place is ending soon and I wanted to know if I should start calling apartments listed in the LAHDs affordable housing roster ( [url]http://www.lacity.org/lahd/affhsgroster.pdf[/url] ) for vacancies. The way the LAHD lists income qualifications is kind of confusing ( http://lahd.lacity.org/Portals/0/Policy/affhsgrosterQA.pdf (broken link) ), so I am not even sure if I qualify or not. But if I do, I believe this would be a better living situation than bedroom/living room sharing situations that I am finding on craigslist. I would get Much more privacy and my own bathroom and kitchen which are big deals to me.

Considering I will have to pay utilities and for internet service I would have to find a place for around $400. This price range for a 1 bedroom/studio seems unreasonable to me but who knows, I have never looked into subsidized housing before.

Last edited by donater; 08-17-2008 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
First of all, the Sec 8 (subsidized housing) list is years long. Second priority is given to families. Third anyone who doesn't know these things has no business trying to live in the ghetto. You'll be much better off getting roommate situation until you can afford to start college. You've looked into ghetto living, have you looked into financial aid? There are programs to help people who really want to go to school.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
wouldn't be better to stay home at the parents and save money to buy a house?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Once you actually have in-state residency and are actually signed up for school, then you can look into housing programs for students. In the meantime, I don't think $400 is going to get you much of anything, even with a roommate. You might be able to rent a room in someone's house if you're lucky, but that's it. Where are you living right now? Is that such a bad situation that you can't stay there for another few months or a year?

Oh, and welcome to City-Data!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM

214 posts, read 871,759 times
if you thought about applying for public housing my best best is too apply outside of califorina were the waiting list is not as long.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
OK, how about living in a cheaper part of California to establish your state residency? It's a big state and almost all of it is cheaper than LA.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
OK, how about living in a cheaper part of California to establish your state residency? It's a big state and almost all of it is cheaper than LA.
Good point. If a person can stand the heat there are many very affordable apartments/small houses in the Coachella Valley [Palm Springs\Indio/ Mecca\ El Centro]. Winters are great but summers are 6 months long.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donater View Post
I am single , 22 and don't have many expenses and want to save money so I can take night classes. I will not have instate residency status for college until next march but I want to start saving as much as possible now. I need to know how low the rent at government subsidized apartments can go.

So far I've been searching for a new place mostly through google/craigslist. I was able to find living room living rentals, shared studios, and other communal living situations in my budget range of $500. Most include all utilities and shared internet but offer very little privacy.

I make a little over $18,000 a year and I believe I may qualify to live in low income housing. My lease at my current place is ending soon and I wanted to know if I should start calling apartments listed in the LAHDs affordable housing roster ( http://www.lacity.org/lahd/affhsgroster.pdf ) for vacancies. The way the LAHD lists income qualifications is kind of confusing ( http://lahd.lacity.org/Portals/0/Policy/affhsgrosterQA.pdf (broken link) ), so I am not even sure if I qualify or not. But if I do, I believe this would be a better living situation than bedroom/living room sharing situations that I am finding on craigslist. I would get Much more privacy and my own bathroom and kitchen which are big deals to me.

Considering I will have to pay utilities and for internet service I would have to find a place for around $400. This price range for a 1 bedroom/studio seems unreasonable to me but who knows, I have never looked into subsidized housing before.

Dude, get a better job. There are a bajillion. Wait tables in a decent restaurant and you'll double your income. If not that, remember, you're in the land of opportunity. I was a hooker with a tray the last time I went to college and cleared 40k a year.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,684 times
"Ghetto" in LA isn't really about subsidized housing and section 8. (The subsidized housing supply is very small here.) It is more about four or five recently arrived guys living in a $1000 one bedroom apartment. Bunk beds rule!

I second the "get a better job" vote. Factory workers at American Apparel can make over $24k as do people that work full time at In-N-Out burger.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,954 times
Smile woman of wisdom

Anything is possible if you believe in yourself . Explore your options little more carefully and weigh your pros and cons. Most impotantly pray that god will help you in this decision. the word of god says In all thy way aknowledge him and he will direct your path. think Optimistic, and It will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles