Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 PM

7,017 posts, read 14,405,900 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending Claremont Graduate University in the fall and have already scoped out some of the surrounding cities, including Claremont, Chino, Upland, Pomona, Montclair, etc. A short commute is a high priority (hence I've eyed those cities) but I'm still willing to sacrifice it in favor of more affordable rents. Some things to keep in mind when suggesting other cities/neighborhoods:

1) Crime: Not a huge concern.. as long as it's not terrible. (I've lived and went to school in Berkeley and something at that level is fine.)

2) Rent: I'm only willing to spend $1000/mo MAX for an Apt or studio. Ideally, under $800/mo.

3) Shopping: Close proximity to some major shopping malls is nice but not essential.

Also, I hear that if I were to head to LA early in the weekend, I'd be going against most of the traffic (heading to Las Vegas.) Anyone want to confirm this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM

852 posts, read 3,799,315 times
For the most part, the going-against-traffic deal no longer exists in Southern California. Traffic is lighter on holidays, overnight and late weekday mornings, but even that isn't certain. Re Claremont: The city is nice, with lots of cute shops. Upland is close and decent as well.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,009,884 times
Try to live in Claremont. It's a wonderful little city.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 AM

19 posts, read 185,656 times
Default Also at CGU

I am a student at CGU, so I can sympathize with what you are dealing with. I'll have to warn you, though, that your price range is going to be right at the (bottom) edge of what is available (unless you plan to room with someone). There are apartments available for under around 850-900, but tough to find. Claremont would definitely be ideal, but that is, most likely, going to be the most expensive city in the area. Upland would be great too, but still at the high end of everything. I think your best bet is to look at Montclair, Pomona or Chino. Those areas are all "less-desireable," and the rent costs are, therefore, lower. There are areas of those cities, though, that are actually pretty good, but since they are still, technically, "Pomona," or "Montclair," they are cheaper. Right on the borders of these towns might be best (where Pomona and La Verne/Claremont meet or where Montclair and Claremont/Upland meet). Chino is tougher as there are pockets of "nice". You can contact me, if you want, and I might be able to help you find something.
FYI, I am currently renting a two bedroom for $895. That is an almost un-heard-of price. The folks who own my building own about 15 others all on this same block, all going for around the same price (my old, one bedroom was $750!). I am sure that there are openings fairly often. One of their tricks is that they rarely advertise...keeps everything low! The area is really not too bad. Much better than "Pomona" is supposed to be...
As far as commuting goes, I am able to ride a bicycle to and from school, so that is not an issue for me. If you don't look any farther than Rancho Cucamonga (to the east) or Glendora (to the west), you won't really notice much of a "commute," I don't think.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,987 times
Hi Ragnarker,

Have you considered purchasing a studio and having a mortgage payment just slightly above or even equivalent to what you are willing to pay for as rent? As a Real Estate Agent specializing in the area that you will be attending school, there is actually a studio currently for sale listed at $159,000 in Ontario which is really close to Claremont. Depending on your down payment and price negotiations, you may be happier knowing that you are paying to own as you study. Anyway, if you have any further questions regarding this area, please feel free to contact me.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:23 PM

72,312 posts, read 18,147,944 times
I really like Claremont,It really has it's quaint,quiet surroundings,Very nice area to read a book or just stroll around.
Very family oriented

Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,038 times
i am looking to move into the claremont, upland, rancho area. Looking into renting a 2 bedroom with a roommate. Any help you can suggest? As far as finding a reliable roommate and rentals and best city around there?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 38,527 times
I live in Covina approximately 14 miles west of Claremont). My parents live over by the Claremont colleges, literally a block or so away. I commute to my parents house about 3 times a week various hours of the day. It usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to get there. The rush hour is between 3:30-6:30 and that's when the drive becomes 20-30 minutes. I sometimes just take the streets. It will take me 20 but I won't be frustrated from the trafic. I pay 930 a month here for a spacious 1 bedroom. The area is pretty quiet. I take walks with my little one at 9:30 at night sometimes during the summer. Completely safe. There is a local shopping center with an Albertson's, Target, Burlington Coat Factory, Old navy, Office Depot, Longs Dugs, Fridays, BJ's, and a Chilli's!
Hope I was able to help. Good Luck.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 38,527 times
Oh and one more thing. We have a plenty of bus stops and there is a Metro station here in the city and there is one that is a 2 minute walk from the colleges. Metro Station is our subway transit system.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 AM

3 posts, read 26,774 times
Yes Claremont Is A Great City, Pomona Is Good 2, It Has Small Gangs But Theyre Dangerous, The Only Surronding Cities With Gangs Are, Pomona, Sandimas, And Glendora. Pomona Has 12street, Happy Town, And Cheryville, Sandimas Has Sandimas Rifa Colonia Parque, And Young Fellas, Glendora Has Just Glendora Gang
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles