U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 03:17 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,770,509 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to LA again this week. One of my friends that I usually stay with moved to Simi Valley since her lease ended this month and she was graduating from college. So me and a friend will be getting a hotel. We will probably stay right by the airport since it is cheapest there. We will be able to get around by car most of the time because my friend is just driving down and staying with us. I'll be going to UC-Irvine on Saturday for a written test with Orange County Fire, but we decided that we wanted to spend the rest of the time in LA.

My main question is how to get around at night. If we decide to head out to Santa Monica or Hollywood and drink then we could get there fine by either the Big Blue Bus(Santa Monica) or Metro Rail(Hollywood) since we should be near the Aviation/LAX stop. However, all of the public transportation seems to end very early in LA. Am I missing anything that can get me around late at night? Or would a cab be the only option? I heard cabs are extremely expensive in LA so if that is the only option, it would probably be smarter to pay extra and stay in Santa Monica. So just looking for a little advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 03:39 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,179,975 times
Smile Rail Lines

To get from the LAX station to Hollywood via metro rail, you will need to transfer trains twice (the green to blue in South Central LA and the blue to red in Downtown LA). I frequently travel via public transportation but I would be hesitate to do this commute late at night. Also, the rail lines may not run as late as you need them to so check out the current timetables on metro.net | Transit Services and Information for Los Angeles County

Take care and enjoy your visit.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,770,509 times
Thanks a lot. I've taken the rail from LAX to Wilshire/Normandie before. I stayed with a friend that lived next to MacArthur Park. I'm also not too worried about taking anything late at night. That stuff usually never bothers me. However, like you mentioned, the early shut down of the rail is the reason Im trying to find something else. Otherwise I wouldn't mind it at all. Thanks for the reply though!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,347,922 times
late night public trans is very limited in LA. some late night buses, but very few and far between. a Designated Driver is always a safe bet. and a cab would probably be too expensive. but if you split the fare with some friends, it might be worth it. but taking public trans in LA at night is not reliable.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,681,795 times
metro.net | Transit Services and Information for Los Angeles County

This will help immensely with PT needs. Plug in the addresses and it will help. Occasionally this leaves out trains and I don't know why. You can check the train schedules at the same link. It usually works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or