U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2008, 01:39 PM

42 posts, read 146,490 times
Default What is the law on maximum # of people per sq foot in LA?

For example - there cannot be 8 people cramped into a 500 sq foot apartment. Does anyone know where to find this information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
I once heard something like the maximum number of people per home can't be more then (number of bedrooms X 2) + 1.

So a 3 BR home can't have more than 7 people.

Last edited by Charles; 06-22-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,788,409 times
yea, that sounds about right charles. studios must have different rules though

Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 4,657,006 times
I once asked Building & Safety Code Enforcement about this, wanting to know how people got around this with the "clown houses" (dwellings with what any sane person would agree is way too many people in them.) B&S said that there is no limit on "family members" so that was the loophole well known to people who move here to work the system.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM

12,325 posts, read 9,045,306 times
The best resource would be to contact the City of Los Angeles' Building Department (or whatever the department actually call itself) and find out what the maximum occupancy is for the type of building/use in question.

The keyword is OCCUPANCY.

If this is an apartment, the number of people allowed in a given space will be dictated by various factors. For example, fire sprinklers, proximity to exits (from the entire building, not just the tenant space), proximity to other buildings, date of construction, etc.

I don't know if it is possible to insist on an inspection, but you could give it a try. Also, stress the FIRE SAFETY aspect of your inquiry. Do not talk about immigration status, ethnicity, or any of the hot button words that might get you a stonewall response.

Another solution is to ask the question as if it was YOU who was proposing to have 7 people living with you. Ask things like do you need to have a fire extinguisher, do you need clearly marked exits, etc. etc.

This issue is a political football and City agencies are subject to scrutiny if they 'investigate' a problem the wrong way (which in many instances is the right way).

You have to think smart and ask indirect questions. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,096 times
Default 200 ft^2 per person

according to this link:

Los Angeles City Maximum Occupancy Law:

Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,889 times
Default Maximum Occupancy

1 person per 200 sq. feet is the legal maximim occupancy for Los Angeles City apartment rental units. My source comes from a Lawyer's website who was previously the head of the Apartment Association. I am now in search of the exact section code for this law, and I am told that it comes under Building and Safery codes. So far, I cannot get answers by phone on the matter. Hope this helps! & p l e a s e, post if you find the section code...

Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,325 times
Depends where you live....
South Los Angeles, pack 'em in like sardines, no one cares.
Westside, you're neighbors might snitch.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 15,871 times
what about codes in Chicago? anyone have any info? I have read 2 per bedroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles