U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 AM

56 posts, read 124,165 times
Default Burbank vs Glendale vs Pasadena? Help me decide please!

Hi all,

I currently live in Ventura and am considering a position at a company in Los Angeles close to Glendale (located at San Fernando and the 2). We're not originally from Los Angeles and this is currently the farthest south we've lived, so this has been my first time in this area off the freeway.

Here's what I've found out about the surrounding areas from all of you on the forum:
  • Glendale - safest
  • Pasadena - coolest / most culture
  • South Pasadena - Nice residential but not as lively as Pasadena
  • Burbank - somewhat bland but decent to nice
  • Best schools appear to be in Pasadena / So Pas (have 2 small children)
Eagle Rock is n/a as it doesn't seem to have many rentals.

So, my questions are:
  1. Which city is the most affordable?
  2. Which is the prettiest?
  3. Combine the top two, and which gives you the best bang for the buck?
  4. Which would be the most fun for kids? Things to do, museums, etc.
We're currently leaning towards Pasadena. However, I work in an industry tangential to entertainment and could possibly wind up in Burbank. Is traffic on the 134 bad from Pasadena to Burbank?

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,669,683 times
I've never had any (but very occasional) trouble with bad traffic between Glendale and Burbank. The snag is the I-5 junction. Best schools of that group, hands down is South Pasadena. I love Pasadena dearly but the schools are just so-so. Burbank schools, some are great, some are just ok. Look here:
GreatSchools.net

Glendale has some great elementary schools, depending of course on where you live. Brand Blvd gives one plenty to do, especially with the new Americana.

Living in S. Pas, Old Pas is just over the hill.

Burbank has it's Town Center, also Toluca Lake is a cool place to hang out. I like Priscillas. It has some nice parks as well.

Best place with kids: South Pasadena, hands down.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 11,418 times
i reccomend pasadena or glendale they are both nice but glendale has alot of congestion within itself, aand the schools in pasadena are alot better burbank isnt bad but the schools there are horrible and there isnt too much for kids to do there plus pasadena has great acces is somewhat out of the way of la and also has old town which is a great area to enjoy when the kids get older. i say pasadena hands down. now that i think of it i might move there myself.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 AM

5,612 posts, read 9,107,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaskunk View Post
So, my questions are:
  1. Which city is the most affordable? Glendale is the most affordable
  2. Which is the prettiest? My vote is for Pasadena
  3. Combine the top two, and which gives you the best bang for the buck? Pasadena
  4. Which would be the most fun for kids? Things to do, museums, etc. Pasadena
We're currently leaning towards Pasadena. However, I work in an industry tangential to entertainment and could possibly wind up in Burbank. Is traffic on the 134 bad from Pasadena to Burbank?
The good news is that you aren't limited to the freeway to travel from Pasadena to Burbank. I've taken the streets on many occaisions and it's only taken 30 min from Old Town Pas to Downtown Burbank.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 PM

37 posts, read 62,985 times
The schools are not "horrible" in Burbank. That is completely inaccurate.

I should know - I've just visited several of them. Go to Great Schools.net and look up parent comments, test scores, etc.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM
jkd

8 posts, read 20,420 times
I agree with Shaggy - check out the school sites and see what their API scores are.

A few things to consider:
Pasadena schools: while some are good, others are more of a status. People must go into a lottery system, just to get their kids into Don Benito (Pas has a major status thing going on)
Also, south pas is nice, expensive & not freeway friendly for where you're looking to work. But again, it's trendy.

Glendale is like a melting pot of various cultures. There are nice areas as well as a few weird ones, but hey, every city has it's weird spots

Burbank has it's pluses too, and some neighborhoods are really sweet.

If I had to go into any of these areas, I'd have the realtor drive me through ONLY the ones with the best schools, and then make a decision as to the general city. THEN I'd go visit each and every elementary school and see where you feel your kids will get the very best education. Keep in mind, you'll want to also find out which are the best middle schools and high schools as well - even though your kids are very small, there is that chance that you'll want to keep them in the same district throughout their educational years.

Oh, and another thing - your bills will go up dramatically - I'm very familiar with the area you're from, as well as those you're considering. It's much hotter and we don't have the lovely coastal breezes you've had, so Mr. Air Conditioner will be your new best friend! (on that note, a house with a pool may be a good idea)

Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 24,315 times
Better yet? SOUTH Pasadena.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 PM

2,100 posts, read 5,267,719 times
south pas, if you can afford it. pasadena is where the action is, but you have a family and the schools are much better in south pas. for date-night with your spouse, pasadena is just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM

557 posts, read 1,514,292 times
My wife commutes from South Pas to Burbank, a good commute by LA standards. Usually 20 to 40 minutes.

If you have kids that are going to be in public schools don't do Pasadena. Glendale schools are generally better the further north you get (towards La Crescenta which is Glendale Uni). Burbank schools are good.

If it fits your budget try South Pasadena, good schools and lots of activities for the kids. Second choice would be Burbank which has more rental selection and should be a little cheaper.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM

276 posts, read 727,021 times
Check into the La Crescenta/Montrose area.It's just 10-15 mins north of glendale.That area is one of the safest of the Glendale area.Plus the Glendale school district is the best in the area.How do i know.Cause i grew up there.Lived in that area for 38 yrs before I moved out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles