U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 87,165 times

Advertisements

Could someone fill me in about this city? Crime, housing, jobs, traffic, etc.. thank you (:
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 PM

989 posts, read 5,324,670 times
Overall, the city is a diverse suburb. It is a pretty safe area. It does have pockets of not-so-great neighborhoods. Whittier Hills is a VERY nice neighborhood. The schools are good. It is home to Whittier College so many college students live/play in the area.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 AM

3,110 posts, read 9,151,453 times
I would 100% go over the hill to Rowland Heights, Hacienda Heights, Walnut, etc.

In Whittier, anything west of Painter or south of Whittier Blvd is not good...seriously to be avoided. The problem is that even east uptown around the college is a really bad choice these days. VERY nice expensive homes and a quasi ivy league college just 1/4 mile from fleabag drug houses and banger houses. Property crime is very high, and the city is a haven for the homeless in this area. However, the police department is extremely proactive and very dedicated and professional. They just have a tough job keeping "west from invading east".

So if you must go to Whittier, yes, by all means, go to Friendly Hills area which is the whole area NE of Colima/Whittier Blvd. La Serna High School is an excellent school and the local schools on the east side are OK. West side, better learn Spanish quick...and Whittier HS (on the west side)...well, avoid it at all costs. It could easily be the movie setting for one of the gang movies with stabbings, near-campus shootings, drugs, etc. (I arrested a lot of Whittier's finest citizens in my day and I hear from old partners that it's only gotten worse)

Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 AM

471 posts, read 2,397,540 times
I grew up in Norwalk, and went to school in Whittier, and uh, it is not that great. Sure, uptown whittier, has some nice hill homes worth over a million dollars, but the rest of the city is a little sketchy. That city is home to a couple notorious games, one of which is the Whittier Barrio Locos. Do some research. The surrounding cities arent that great eather, but usually better than the heart of Whittier.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 AM

4,267 posts, read 7,883,469 times
As for Whittier school systems...

Almost all of Whittier is in the Whittier Union High School District

Districts serving the city that feed into WUHSD are:
* East Whittier City Elementary School District
* Los Nietos Elementary School District
* Whittier City Elementary School District

A small portion of Whittier is zoned to the Fullerton Joint Union High School District and the Lowell Elementary School District.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM

6 posts, read 70,003 times
Default Moving to Whittier

I would recommend moving to Whittier......it is a decent area to live, especially if you are looking for a decent area to live in the LA area, that is relatively safe and within close commuting distance to downtown Los Angeles (about 15 miles).

Whittier is part of the "Gateway Cities," which is the area of Los Angeles County southwest of downtown. It was the place of quintessential suburbia and included cities such as Lakewood, Downey, bellflower, artesia, pico rivera, etc. However, in the 1980s, the overall crime in the area began to rise and some comapnies/industries (like aerospace) left the area. White flight pursued, and the population began to become more and more Hispanic.

Whittier is probably one of the better cities in this region. Cerritos is also very good, but has a much larger Asian-American population (is that important to you?) In Whittier, the "Friendly Hills" area north of Whittier Blvd. is the most desirable and a lot of houses have stunning panoramic views of the LA-Orange County area, so you can see as far as downtown Los Angeles on one side, all the way to Brea and Yorba Linda (Orange County) on the other side. You could buy a large, comfortable home in Friendly Hills with a view for around $1 million (maybe a little more).............if this house was on LA's westside or in South Orange County with that kind of a view.......I am very sure that it would sell for at least $5 million.

Whittier of course has Whittier college, and the Old Town shopping district. The last time I was visiting one of my friends in Whittier, I noticed that Whittier Boulevard seems to have almost every big-chain store you can need.......the new Whittwood Town Center is pretty nice for a shopping center.

One of the posters suggested Hacienda Heights or Rowland Heights or Walnut. I would not recommend to move to those places, unless you are Asian-American or love Asian culture. I am not trying to sound racist or anything, but those places, especially Rowland Heights, is basically a "suburban Chinatown." But if that is what you would like, than that area would be great for you.

If you are looking for better places to live (but don't mind longer commutes from downtown Los Angeles), there are many better places to live. However, they are probably pricier, and/or they are probably farther away. Some examples of better places not too far away from Whittier include Brea, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, and Chino Hills.

So, in short, Whittier is not a perfect city, but it is a decent city for people looking to rent or buy a home in the metro LA area, with a decent commute (15 miles) to downtown LA. Certainly something to consider for new Californians experiencing "sticker shock" at the cost of housing here.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM

330 posts, read 1,170,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I would 100% go over the hill to Rowland Heights, Hacienda Heights, Walnut, etc.

In Whittier, anything west of Painter or south of Whittier Blvd is not good...seriously to be avoided. The problem is that even east uptown around the college is a really bad choice these days. VERY nice expensive homes and a quasi ivy league college just 1/4 mile from fleabag drug houses and banger houses. Property crime is very high, and the city is a haven for the homeless in this area. However, the police department is extremely proactive and very dedicated and professional. They just have a tough job keeping "west from invading east".

So if you must go to Whittier, yes, by all means, go to Friendly Hills area which is the whole area NE of Colima/Whittier Blvd. La Serna High School is an excellent school and the local schools on the east side are OK. West side, better learn Spanish quick...and Whittier HS (on the west side)...well, avoid it at all costs. It could easily be the movie setting for one of the gang movies with stabbings, near-campus shootings, drugs, etc. (I arrested a lot of Whittier's finest citizens in my day and I hear from old partners that it's only gotten worse)
You probably mean south of Telegraph Rd. which is South Whittier and Santa Fe Springs. Whittier Blvd. to Lambert Rd. is fine. Some parts even to Mulberry Rd are fine too. But, the down parts seem to be working their way up. It is just a matter of time before Whittier is more like the cities south and to the west of here.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM

635 posts, read 1,559,513 times
If you're from Memphis, the biggest difference in California from Tennessee is diversity and climate. Memphis does have alot of African Americans, but Whittier has alot of Latinos. The climate is much calmer here. Whittier is a nice city, the 605 freeway has major congestion during rush hour from what I've seen. You might feel your in Mexico for a couple of months. There definently ain't the barbecue style food you would find in Tennessee. I don't know much else, so I'm not going to give you information which could be false.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:08 PM

65,137 posts, read 16,019,703 times
The city has about everything.Rose Hills,Friendly Hills,poor areas,rich areas.I have sold some property there.Many income property,great for investment.\
Nice shopping Whittwood Town Center - Whittier, CA

Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 PM

330 posts, read 1,170,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
You probably mean south of Telegraph Rd. which is South Whittier and Santa Fe Springs. Whittier Blvd. to Lambert Rd. is fine. Some parts even to Mulberry Dr. are fine too. But, the down parts seem to be working their way up. It is just a matter of time before Whittier is more like the cities south and to the west of here.
Yes, Whitwood Town Center is a good place to eat and shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles