Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
So, fine, that's your theory. How about backing it up with facts instead of supposition?

By facts I mean demographic statistics.
People can blame it on the media and on the gangs on why there's alot of demographic shifts in SoCal.

Last edited by wclac; 07-08-2008 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 07:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
So, fine, that's your theory. How about backing it up with facts instead of supposition?

By facts I mean demographic statistics.
Not my theory. Just a possibility like I wrote; that's why I used "maybe" and "not saying that happened".

Why not back it up? Because I am too lazy. Census data are available to show what happened.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:40 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
im in finland but id say I prefer interact with asian people over black and brown. Sad fact is that their rep is ruined, klots of criminals.
Asians are the best! Funny, techonology, open minded and friendnly.
i just met a finnish woman, who struck me as very nice. i guess i'll have to ask her if she thinks i'm a criminal because of the color of my skin.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
im in finland but id say I prefer interact with asian people over black and brown. Sad fact is that their rep is ruined, klots of criminals.
Asians are the best! Funny, techonology, open minded and friendnly.
omg! their "rep" is ruined? wow.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Says the card carrying member of the KKK. Take an Early American history class, you'll learn we were chosen because we don't blend in. Take a Recent History class you'll learn that Blacks weren't even consider full citzens until 40 years ago. We finally have a shot with Obama becoming President. We haven't fit in until now because the system was designed for us not to.
And look at how far American Blacks have advanced in just the last 30 years-----despite many of the 'ignorant ones' accusing a Black person (especially a male) of 'acting White' when he/she wants to better himself.

Think about it: the last two Secretaries of State were AA; Colin Powell and Condi Rice.

There are Tiger Woods (OK, he is only 1/4 AA but still) and Michael Jordan-----arguably the best athletes in their fields.

Then there is Oprah: even many of most racist Whites are fans of her show.

That leaves the 'little heroes' of every day who have done well.

Black people here in the USA have a lot to be proud of.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Speaking as a White, we admire Asians for their industriousness, because of their family values, because of strong work ethic, and because they make such a great effort to get a good education and encourage their children to get good educations. Asians and Whites are more culturally similar than Whites are with Blacks or Latinos. We like Asians because they are more like us than the alternatives.

Plus, Asians have got great food!!! Okay, okay, Mexican food is great too.

That's another good point, that it's often the case that Asians assimilate into mainstream culture, while Latinos isolate themselves and often don't even bother to learn English. On the other hand, it's easily possible for immigrant Latinos to get by without speaking English because of the large Spanish speaking communities, while there are few Chinese, Japanese or Korean communities, so Asians have little choice but to learn English.

Actually the unwillingness for Latino immigrants to learn English is one of my two biggest gripes about Latino immigrants, the other gripe being the willingness to scoff immigration laws and move here illegally.

Nope, I disagree with that. Whites are fleeing and it's because of a decline in the quality of life, because of increased crime, increased traffic, and in my case and possibly generally, because I don't want to be a minority. Criticize me for that if you like, but I don't want to live in a different culture than my own. If all the people moving into the area would adopt mainstream culture then I would feel completely different. I don't want to have to learn Spanish just to continue living here. Oh, and on more than one occasion I've had to leave a business because nobody there spoke sufficient English to help by answering my questions (like my local Pollo Loco).

Again it's the assimilation situation. It's not unusual for Spanish speakers to move into the area and refuse to learn English, while Hungarians or Asians seem to be more willing to learn English, possibly because they have little choice.

Yeppers! That's a very concise statement of the situation. I don't mind people of any race moving here as long as they assimilate the culture, but the vast influx of undocumented immigrants is refusing to assimilate, refusing to learn English. It's making it more difficult for me to get along since my Spanish is poor at best. Two years of high school Spanish and too many decades have passed since then.

Please note that it's not just White flight, it's Black flight too, as several have pointed out. What it really is, it's everything but Brown flight. The Latino population is increasing in percentage while every other segment is decreasing. If that's not flight then I don't know what it is.
Actually; more and more Middle Class Americans of Indian Hispanic heritage are bailing out of the traditional Latino enclaves because they are sick of the illegals as well.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Actually; more and more Middle Class Americans of Indian Hispanic heritage are bailing out of the traditional Latino enclaves because they are sick of the illegals as well.
And whats the mayor doing about it? And if Obama is elected, what is he going to do about this situation?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
one thing a bout the maps is that you couldnt really accurately capture the hispanic population until the census people labeled them spanish surname or hispanic or whatever.

the truth is that mexicans were considered white for the longest time.
alot of mexican birth certificates listed the race as white. up until the 70's!!

AND, did you guys know that anti-miscegenation laws in CALI were over turned because a mexican wanted to marry a black and the mexican was considered white and whites marrying blacks was against the law?
true story.
it was changed sometimes in the 50's i think.

i do like these maps tho. i love maps to begin with. but the ones that show demographic shifts are particularly interesting. but there are too many other variables to factor. these maps, while very interesting, only offer one facet of the phenomena knows as race and demo shifts in LA.

its not as simple as these maps imply. but thanks for these. and play nice folks.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
AND, did you guys know that anti-miscegenation laws in CALI were over turned because a mexican wanted to marry a black and the mexican was considered white and whites marrying blacks was against the law?
true story.
it was changed sometimes in the 50's i think.
Yes, I knew that, and I agree. The ban on California interracial marriages appealed after 1948. Look at these articles for information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-miscegenation_laws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perez_v._Sharp

Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,587 times
I aint a racist I got many friends from Iran and other refugees.

But as far as I know: Mexicans are the worst people overall in america. Because Black gangs dont usually attack neutrals unlike MS13 and stuff.
Also they look vicious to me Im scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles