Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 PM

332 posts, read 772,477 times

Advertisements

I'm a law student planning to interview with some of the major LA firms. It seems that about half the firms are located in Century City and about half are in downtown LA. A smattering are located in Santa Monica or elsewhere on the westside.

The way my school's career services program works, I only have a limited number of interview opportunites, and I thought I'd focus on one area or the other--so where would you rather work, Century City or downtown LA?

I haven't visited the area yet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Century City would be a nicer place to actually work and spend the day--parking would be easier, the surroundings are more upscale, there's a nice mall there if you need to run errands.

On the other hand, I know it's imperative to live near your job in LA, and it seems that--unless you're rich--the neighborhoods close to downtown LA are much better than the ones on the westside. Looking on craigslist, it seems that I could get a detached cottage or guesthouse in Echo Park for under $2000/mo, whereas that would only get me a no-frills apartment in a complex on the westside. I really love the idea of having a place where I'm not sharing walls with a neighbor and it seems like the neighborhoods around downtown LA have lots of small houses that would fit that bill.

So, I feel like I'm rambling, but do you all prefer Century City or Downtown LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
I'm a law student planning to interview with some of the major LA firms. It seems that about half the firms are located in Century City and about half are in downtown LA. A smattering are located in Santa Monica or elsewhere on the westside.

The way my school's career services program works, I only have a limited number of interview opportunites, and I thought I'd focus on one area or the other--so where would you rather work, Century City or downtown LA?

I haven't visited the area yet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Century City would be a nicer place to actually work and spend the day--parking would be easier, the surroundings are more upscale, there's a nice mall there if you need to run errands.
I've worked in both areas. Century City was definitely nicer. No bums pan handling you. And Century City is full of Attorney offices. But don't underestimate the traffic in Century City. Thousands of cars pour out of just a few large Century City parking structures at rush hour.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Century City hands down. No urine smell. Nice and clean. Safe to walk around at night. I wouldn't say parking is easier, it will depend on whether or not your parking is paid for. The only thing CC and DLA have in common is expensive parking.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Century City is a pretty nice place to work, I've been there for 3 years now. There are also many neighborhoods with lots of places for young professionals within a reasonable distance like Santa Monica, Brentwood, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Culver City, etc... Downtown is probably a more interesing place overall with more things to do in the immediate vicinity, but it is pretty much surrounded by very low income neighborhoods. Also, the more livable surrounding neighborhoods around downtown (los feliz, silverlake, larchmont village, glendale, etc)from my experiences are filled with more "industry" types. You may also consider living in Pasadena if you work in downtown though which is completely different than all the areas previously mentioned. Being a lawyer, you would probably fit in on the westside better. If you're big into entertainement (ie acting and music) you would probably also like the areas closer to downtown. However, I've known more than a few accountants and attorneys that live on the westside and commute to downtown everyday. Remember though that many, if not most of the law firms on the westside are entertainment related, which may or may not affect your decision on which area you'd prefer to work in.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Quote:

On the other hand, I know it's imperative to live near your job in LA, and it seems that--unless you're rich--the neighborhoods close to downtown LA are much better than the ones on the westside. Looking on craigslist, it seems that I could get a detached cottage or guesthouse in Echo Park for under $2000/mo, whereas that would only get me a no-frills apartment in a complex on the westside. I really love the idea of having a place where I'm not sharing walls with a neighbor and it seems like the neighborhoods around downtown LA have lots of small houses that would fit that bill.

So, I feel like I'm rambling, but do you all prefer Century City or Downtown LA?
Where downtown? It's a big area that goes from very nice to must-avoid. Downtown has rapid transit, such as it is, that connects to Pasadena, Hollywood, OC, etc.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Century City hands down. No urine smell. Nice and clean. Safe to walk around at night. I wouldn't say parking is easier, it will depend on whether or not your parking is paid for. The only thing CC and DLA have in common is expensive parking.
Is he working on Skid Row? I have yet to see any legal firms there, except perhaps those serving the homeless. Perhaps

Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:

You can live 5 minutes from Century City and Pay $1500-2k per month rent for a studio or 1 bdrm in a nice area. Century city may get busy at 5-6pm but going 1 mile in west la traffic sure beats navigating Figueroa at that time.

I'd suggest Century City from a quality of life standpoint, but it really depends on what kind of law you will specialize in and who will offer you what kind of compensation. I would not rule out checking downtown firms as well. It would be worth your time to allocate time to both areas.

Do not let cost of housing dictate where you will look for employment.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Where downtown? It's a big area that goes from very nice to must-avoid. Downtown has rapid transit, such as it is, that connects to Pasadena, Hollywood, OC, etc.
The area bound by 3rd and 8th streets, and Grand and Figueroa. I'd prefer to drive to work. What is parking like in that area? Do many buildings have underground lots?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Century City is a pretty nice place to work, I've been there for 3 years now. There are also many neighborhoods with lots of places for young professionals within a reasonable distance like Santa Monica, Brentwood, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Culver City, etc... Downtown is probably a more interesing place overall with more things to do in the immediate vicinity, but it is pretty much surrounded by very low income neighborhoods. Also, the more livable surrounding neighborhoods around downtown (los feliz, silverlake, larchmont village, glendale, etc)from my experiences are filled with more "industry" types. You may also consider living in Pasadena if you work in downtown though which is completely different than all the areas previously mentioned. Being a lawyer, you would probably fit in on the westside better. If you're big into entertainement (ie acting and music) you would probably also like the areas closer to downtown. However, I've known more than a few accountants and attorneys that live on the westside and commute to downtown everyday. Remember though that many, if not most of the law firms on the westside are entertainment related, which may or may not affect your decision on which area you'd prefer to work in.
That is interesting about more industry types living in the neighborhoods around downtown, I would not have anticipated that. Not to generalize too much, but I would have thought that the proximity to the beach would make the westside more prone to that kind of culture.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
If you want to be where the action is, you want to be in Century City. Culver City is about 15 min away and you can comfortably live in Culver City within your desired budget. Also if you choose Century City you can also expand your search to Beverly Hills which is walking distance from Century City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles