Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 AM

672 posts, read 2,167,402 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking quite a bit about what I've read here and elsewhere, and people's concerns about the immigration and language issue. It is hard on Los Angeles, and it does create conflict.

Latino immigration is different than past waves of European immigrants, because, whites simultaneously flee from Latinos while requiring that they adopt American culture. Whites seem to require that this group instantly transition to being fully American while refusing to interact with them while they are learning. It is part of the force that creates ethnic ghettos. Would whites be more forgiving with non-Latino immigrants? Probably.

In the mean time, with white flight and low birthrate, the ethnic transition of the city is pretty much a given. And there is a lot of fear and bitterness about that.

A big part of the anger is the "it is not supposed to be this way" factor. The federal government has truly abdicated its responsibility in enforcing immigration law. I've read that fully one quarter of the adults in the city of LA have no documentation.

But another big factor is this feeling by old Californians that they are supposed to be able to understand all that is going on. Even though most people only see certain corners of the city, they believe that they should be able to go to any neighborhood, business or event, and be able to be included. It is an American idea about inclusivity and equality that demands English for everyone. There is an irony here somewhere.

It is tough for old Californians to deal with the fact that in this current Los Angeles, so much of what goes on isn't about us or for us or has any interest in bending over backwards to include us. And, rightly or wrongly, this creates resentment.

But, hey, this is just the language and immigration issue. It gets way more complicated when it blends with the variation in crime rates and religious belief and gangs. It gets hard to separate the effects of each issue.

At some point, for some reason, I stopped caring about the fact that so much of this city just isn't for me or is interested in interacting with me, because I'm a 40 year old man. I don't need the world at my doorstep. I just need a dozen restaurants, the beach, the bookstore, and a good Irish pub. And lots of sunshine. I have all I need to love this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:47 AM

315 posts, read 347,744 times
'a guy saw two gang bangers tagging the side of a building on Hollywood Blvd. so he intervened and asked them to stop.'

Come one now. In almost any city if you interrupted a couple of gang bangin Picassos your a$$ would be at minimum beat. That can happen anywhere. Plus, why the hell would you approach 2 gang bangers breaking the law to set them straight. What an Einstein.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 AM

315 posts, read 347,744 times
'At some point, for some reason, I stopped caring about the fact that so much of this city just isn't for me or is interested in interacting with me, because I'm a 40 year old man. I don't need the world at my doorstep. I just need a dozen restaurants, the beach, the bookstore, and a good Irish pub. And lots of sunshine. I have all I need to love this town.'

Here here. Well said my good man.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:06 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,857,001 times
What Los Angeles needs is a new mayor! I'd hate worry if I'm working on a construction job (whenever I have my orientation), I'll stumble upon gang violence. I don't want to meet an early end.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 AM

49 posts, read 199,950 times
Right on Mike121.

Learning a new language is very difficult, as you become older. For most of the mothers and fathers who come here from Mexico, China, or Russia to make a better lives for themselves, they will find it very hard to assimilate to the language as rapidly as their children will. Similar to say how a lot of Italian grandparents who arrived in America in the 1920's only speak Italian, and their grandchildren only speak English. Many Mexican-Americans, who are generations old here, have already assimilated and will continue to hold on to their culture(the beauty of this place). Some will go on to mix with other cultures, and have bi-racial children. Some will marry with their own. Just like everybody else.

The Mexican flavor has always been evident and influential in Los Angeles.

If you look at the History of the U.S., you'll find at any given time or location, some group was deemed the problem of the U.S.

I believe at one time, America was very afraid that they would be speaking German here(due to the immigration). They considered Germans to be drunks, working class immigrants, that held on to tightly to their traditions and language. Once World War II hit, they forced Germans to speak English, changed their names, and harrased German towns. The Irish perhaps felt this even harsher, but they stuck to their culture(especially in say Boston). Xenophobia all over again.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:29 AM

105 posts, read 316,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
Right on Mike121.

Learning a new language is very difficult, as you become older. For most of the mothers and fathers who come here from Mexico, China, or Russia to make a better lives for themselves, they will find it very hard to assimilate to the language as rapidly as their children will. Similar to say how a lot of Italian grandparents who arrived in America in the 1920's only speak Italian, and their grandchildren only speak English. Many Mexican-Americans, who are generations old here, have already assimilated and will continue to hold on to their culture(the beauty of this place). Some will go on to mix with other cultures, and have bi-racial children. Some will marry with their own. Just like everybody else.

The Mexican flavor has always been evident and influential in Los Angeles.

If you look at the History of the U.S., you'll find at any given time or location, some group was deemed the problem of the U.S.

I believe at one time, America was very afraid that they would be speaking German here(due to the immigration). They considered Germans to be drunks, working class immigrants, that held on to tightly to their traditions and language. Once World War II hit, they forced Germans to speak English, changed their names, and harrased German towns. The Irish perhaps felt this even harsher, but they stuck to their culture(especially in say Boston). Xenophobia all over again.
The mexican flavor was a cool thing, but like every thing cool it eventually jumps the shark, the cholo thing in LA has certainly jumped the shark. The fact is LA has 3 million illegals who are less educated than my 9 year old son(actually he was ahead of them when he left 3rd grade) who can only do simple type work. LA is not going to be a powerhouse with that. Lots of worker bees but few queens. And 40 percent of the city works for cash, so as you can see there is a recipe for disaster brewing in this town. It may end up like mexico (not just LOOK like it) unless the people here realize the slip of this. I mean most people here are moving out of state to get away from the taxes etc. And importing more of an uneducated low income earner (if they pay taxes) tax base from a third world country, who speak little to no english, is not going to get this city out of this mess...

Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 AM

I have something else I would like to add. Their is always something our government will use, to create a stir amongst the people, to blind people from what's really going on. They divide us, so they may conquer us.

Why?

Because I don't know if many people care to realize what is happening in the world right now. But Globalization is beginning to stamp it's greedy feet amongst the working class/middle class of the WORLD. This is the reason why many Mexicans have arrived here. NAFTA has hurt many working class farmers in Mexico since the Mid-90's, and the future update to NAFTA, know as the SPP(Security and Prosperity Partnership) will only make it worse. SPP or North American Union is going to happen. The UNASUR(South American Union) has just begun a month ago. The African Union(AU) will happen once they control the rebels their. I would love the world to be as one, but I think the world doesn't believe it's in the best interest for anyone except the Wall Street crowd.

Their is a lot of stuff most people are blind to in this country. We've constantly been feared of each other. When we should really be scared of our own government. We say we live in the Land of The Free? So I ask everyone, how is Wiretapping freedom. If you ask me, we are living in a fascist state. We've gone from being well respected, to disliked from the world over(not the citizens, but our government persay)

They have a new word for people who believe the government is up to no good, in the Vietnam-Era it was Commie Sympathizers, now they call my generation, the Conspiracy Theorists. I believe the whole world needs some new leaders.

Oh yea. And screw Obama. The only thing he wants to change is more laws. Dude changes his views so much, it's sickening. I really tryed to like him, I really did. And McCain(man..don't get me started on this racist).

Pay Attention this July 12th in D.C. Will the revolution be televised? I don't agree entirely with Ron Paul. But he's the only one who cares about the America every immigrant past and present has come to these shores for.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,857,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
I have something else I would like to add. Their is always something our government will use, to create a stir amongst the people, to blind people from what's really going on. They divide us, so they may conquer us.

Why?

Because I don't know if many people care to realize what is happening in the world right now. But Globalization is beginning to stamp it's greedy feet amongst the working class/middle class of the WORLD. This is the reason why many Mexicans have arrived here. NAFTA has hurt many working class farmers in Mexico since the Mid-90's, and the future update to NAFTA, know as the SPP(Security and Prosperity Partnership) will only make it worse. SPP or North American Union is going to happen. The UNASUR(South American Union) has just begun a month ago. The African Union(AU) will happen once they control the rebels their. I would love the world to be as one, but I think the world doesn't believe it's in the best interest for anyone except the Wall Street crowd.

Their is a lot of stuff most people are blind to in this country. We've constantly been feared of each other. When we should really be scared of our own government. We say we live in the Land of The Free? So I ask everyone, how is Wiretapping freedom. If you ask me, we are living in a fascist state. We've gone from being well respected, to disliked from the world over(not the citizens, but our government persay)

They have a new word for people who believe the government is up to no good, in the Vietnam-Era it was Commie Sympathizers, now they call my generation, the Conspiracy Theorists. I believe the whole world needs some new leaders.

Oh yea. And screw Obama. The only thing he wants to change is more laws. Dude changes his views so much, it's sickening. I really tryed to like him, I really did. And McCain(man..don't get me started on this racist).

Pay Attention this July 12th in D.C. Will the revolution be televised? I don't agree entirely with Ron Paul. But he's the only one who cares about the America every immigrant past and present has come to these shores for.
I was going to support Obama and vote for him, but after watching the news on YouTube, I don't know who to trust.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM

Like I said before. This is something bigger than some "Illegals" coming here to ruin us. Blame them all you want. They are not your enemy. I gurantee you if NAFTA never happened. Many of them would stay in their homeland if they could. Where they wouldn't have to deal with people hating them for just being Mexican or Guatemalan. It's something bigger man. The whole world is protesting effects of this. Yet we in the U.S. continue to deny everything. I try to educate my fellow americans, yet I just get spit on and called a "conspiracy theorist". This is why Americans are truly a nation of sheep.

I've honestly begun to question why I still live in the United States. It's not because I'm scared of some "illegals'. I Love this place, but even if I chose to live in whitebread Utah, i'm still living under this fascist country. We need to stay out of Iraq and Iran, and quit acting like the World Police.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 AM

"I was going to support Obama and vote for him, but after watching the news on YouTube, I don't know who to trust"

Yes. And just recently the U.S. Court has ruled that Google/Youtube must hand over Viewer logs to Viacom. Viewer logs will contain everybody's individual I.P. adresses, which they will look into.

Viacom says they want to use it for the case against Copyright Infringment. And maybe very well, that is their only reason for attaining Viewer Logs.

The world is out of our hands right now. I've begun to live my life, like the world doesn't matter. In a way, maybe we should just not give a ****. Live your life and just accept the world is going insane right now. I just think the last chance is for the world over, to rise up and say stop this now. If it falls on deaf ears and was useless, just live your life with a smile on your face, and fear nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles