Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip for our anniversary coming up in September. We are both HUGE car enthuasists and can time our visit in order to enjoy the Palos Verdes Concours going on. We also would want to visit the Nethercutt Collection up in Sylmar.

Where would you stay??? I'd much prefer a beach front location but want somewhere safe, nice AND convienent. Convienent to getting to and from the two car points of interest AND places to eat, shop, explore.

Found one place in Redondo Beach???? Good, bad, NO WAY or GO FOR IT????

Any other local points of interests for car enthuasists to visit while there during that time? Car shows, clubs, etc???

MANY THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 PM

81 posts, read 285,255 times
Somewhere convenient to Palos Verdes and Sylmar? Such a place doesn't exist; they're 1hr apart without traffic. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the driving

As for beach front location, basically any beach city from PV to Santa Monica is good, safe (possibly excluding Venice), and going to have things to see/do. You're going to have to pay for it, though. Redondo is nice, though Hermosa or Manhattan Beach would be great too. Convenience isn't so achievable when you're near the beach. You're about 4 congested miles from the nearest freeway, which disappointingly is the 405.

And I think the city of LA itself would be a sight of interest for any car enthusiast. It's basically the first city to be designed and built with the car in mind. That's why everything's so decentralized and some of the greatest engineering marvels here are the freeways. The drive-thru, billboard ad, and suburban car-centric lifestyle all were pioneered here. If you're looking for specifics, maybe the Petersen Auto museum is worth a look: Petersen Automotive Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You won't be in town for the Auto show, sadly.

Enjoy!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
Somewhere convenient to Palos Verdes and Sylmar? Such a place doesn't exist; they're 1hr apart without traffic. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the driving

As for beach front location, basically any beach city from PV to Santa Monica is good, safe (possibly excluding Venice), and going to have things to see/do. You're going to have to pay for it, though.

Convenience isn't so achievable when you're near the beach. You're about 4 congested miles from the nearest freeway, which disappointingly is the 405.

And I think the city of LA itself would be a sight of interest for any car enthusiast. It's basically the first city to be designed and built with the car in mind. That's why everything's so decentralized and some of the greatest engineering marvels here are the freeways. The drive-thru, billboard ad, and suburban car-centric lifestyle all were pioneered here.

If you're looking for specifics, maybe the Petersen Auto museum is worth a look: Petersen Automotive Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You won't be in town for the Auto show, sadly.

Enjoy!

Thanks.

I did not think so by looking at the location of each but just want somewhere that would put us convienent to both. We probably will do the Nethercutt Collection up in Sylmar on the day of arrival which will be at the Burbank Airport. I've actually come to enjoy the smaller airports, less congested, less delay's, etc. Been thru LAX so I'm not missing anything there.

Don't mind paying for a great location to stay to enjoy the time we are at our room. Don't need the most high end exclusive since we won't be there the whole time but something nice, clean, great location, good amenities, etc.

Traffic congestion near any beach is bad. Wish that were not so. Try fighting the traffic in Myrtle Beach......... that is a NIGHTMARE!!! Most of the people are tourists so it is even worse.

Been to LA and seen most of the city itself. It just has been a few years since I've been to any of the spots on the north side. I'm sure a lot has changed on that side of town since. More familiar w/ the Huntington Beach, Irvine, etc side now than I am the opposite side.

Peterson......... I've heard of that one too. Totally forgot about it. THANKS! Car show, hmmm. Hubby will be sad to miss a car show if it is a really good one. Oh well.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles