U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,990,941 times

Advertisements

I decided to turn down the job in Walnut, so the search continues in the mid-city area... I'm accepting a job on Wilshire near Fairfax, so commute is definitly a factor. Maybe if I am close I can walk or take the bus...

Anyone know anything about these addresses...?

260 S. Sycamore Ave. at 3rd St. ($1100.00 Studio)
512 North Spaulding Ave at Rosewood ($1000.00 Studio)
823 S Orange Grove at 8th St ($1200.00 1bdr)
3471 West 5th St ($800.00 Studio)
1448 S Orange Grove Ave ($1000.00 Studio)

Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,715,479 times
not surprisingly, the least expensive is the least desirable. it's near 3rd and vermont, and might as well be in mexico city. it's also the farthest address from your workplace.

1448 orange grove is south of pico. it might be okay, but, given your needs, i would prefer the others, in this order: orange grove/8th (larger apt; closest to work); spaulding/rosewood (more peaceful, prettier neighborhood, but farther from work than the other two); sycamore/third (close to work, close to everything, with all that that entails). with the last one, especially, make sure there is off-street parking if you have a car, as it is near the grove/farmers' market, in a very densely populated area.

Last edited by katenik; 07-16-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: more details

Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM

7,115 posts, read 18,995,969 times
I think all the locations are liveable. Like Katenik mentioned, the 5th St. location is probably the sketchiest area. However, I've been over there to eat Korean BBQ a few times and didn't think it was too bad. The quietest location would be the 1448 S Orange Grove address. The other as mentioned are very close to the Grove/Farmer's Market, traffic there is awful. The intersection of 3rd/Fairfax might be the worst in the whole city of LA. My favorite address of those that you had mentioned would be 823 S Orange Grove. You are very close to Wilshire there which has all the museums, but there are also some great Irish Bars within stumbling distance: Molly Malone's and Tom Bergin's. You would also be walking distance from your office.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM

Thank you both very much. I am leaning towards the Orange Grove one's as well. Hopefully, I can go and take a look at them tomorrow sometime. It would be great to not have to drive to work!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,667,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post

Anyone know anything about these addresses...?

260 S. Sycamore Ave. at 3rd St. ($1100.00 Studio)
512 North Spaulding Ave at Rosewood ($1000.00 Studio)
823 S Orange Grove at 8th St ($1200.00 1bdr)
3471 West 5th St ($800.00 Studio)
1448 S Orange Grove Ave ($1000.00 Studio)

Thanks again everyone.
My favorite would be 512 N. Spaulding. Walk to Fairfax Village, Melrose Ave, Beverly Blvd, 3rd street (all "happening" urban villages) as well as The Grove. Fairfax is a major artery for public transportation. This is a really fun place to live and a nice neighborhood. Homes in the neighborhood typically go in the 1.5-2mil range so consider the rent a bargain.

260 S. Sycamore Ave is also a great neighborhood for all the reasons stated in the last description, just not as centrally located to it all.

823 S. Orange Grove is good public transportation wise as you're just about at Fairfax and Wilshire, both major arteries. Enjoy Museum Row in your off time at this location. Another nice neighborhood.

1448 S. Orange Grove is south of Pico. Pico is my personal dividing line for this area as things start changing quickly. It depends a lot on the block. Trees get sparser, yards get yellower....If it was me, I'd throw this one out and concentrate on the two above if you like that area. Just my opinion.

3471 W. 5th St. is in Koreatown. It's north of Wilshire which would make it totally liveable. South of Wilshire is another story. Despite what people sometimes say here, Koreatown can be a wonderful bargain if it's your thing. It's night and day compared to 10 or 15 years ago. I walked the whole area on a Friday night a few months ago by myself and the only thing I noticed was how boring it was, street after street. If it's not your thing, you'll hate it. My personal beef is that it's so far from all the action (cafe culture, shops, music...). It really dies down there at night. I sat and drank coffee at the Starbucks at Ralph's and met some nice transplants who lived in the neighborhood and loved it there. 20somethings seem best suited to it, 30somethings if they are childless. Some apartments are quite stunning. Many of the most beautiful 20's and 30's apartment buildings are down there. If you do it, get off street parking or you may spend a lot of time trying to find parking and then trying to find your car. The area is developing a cafe culture in the most unlikely places. People who end up liking Koreatown are usually transplants. Locals tend to lambast it with undue disgust as they do Downtown. Another big plus are subway stations at Wilshire and Vermont as well as Wilshire and Western. This is NOT the Fairfax District, Melrose, Beverly or 3rd. That's a whole different world.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,715,479 times
east of normandie, between wilshire and third is koreatown? i think of that as mid-wilshire, with no subtitle. i stayed with a relative on 5th and kenmore for a few weeks in '90 or '91. the neighborhood was livable, but changing very rapidly back then. my relative moved away shortly thereafter due to the steady influx of residents who did not understand that trash belongs in dumpsters and apartment balconies are not clotheslines. the last time i drove through back in march or april, i saw nothing to indicate that it had improved. frankly, i consider this one of the nastiest neighborhoods in LA, and would discourage anyone i know (or don't know, such as the OP) from moving there...even if it is only five minutes away from el gran burrito!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
east of normandie, between wilshire and third is koreatown? i think of that as mid-wilshire, with no subtitle. i stayed with a relative on 5th and kenmore for a few weeks in '90 or '91.
According to the MLS it is. Remember, we name everything. Koreatown stretches wayyyy north also. Read the signs. When they start being in Armenian and you see cheap furniture stores, you're in Little Armenia. This area was a hole in '91, it's improved a lot.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks alot everyone. I guess that Koreatown location is definitely out of the question. I think I'm just gonna stick to the general area of the others listed. A couple of the places are only street parking, is that gonna be bad??

Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Thanks alot everyone. I guess that Koreatown location is definitely out of the question. I think I'm just gonna stick to the general area of the others listed. A couple of the places are only street parking, is that gonna be bad??
On Spaulding and Sycamore probably not but go in the evening and look just to be safe. I park in that little area all the time as I do business there. Remember, during one day a week per side you'll have to move for street cleaning. The tickets are 50 bucks, I know from experience. The challenge when you have tight parking is finding spots the night before street cleaning if the sweeper comes really early. If it comes late, no worries. On the 823 S. Orange Grove, I'm not sure. Some down there have ample parking, some don't. The Orange Grove south of Pico...I have no idea.

I will add that I'm pretty sure the first two have permit parking for residents only overnight which is a blessing to keep people parking on the street to a minimum.

I just re-read your original post and I change my vote. The 823 S. Orange Grove would be ideal because you could walk to work.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 07-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: senility

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
On Spaulding and Sycamore probably not but go in the evening and look just to be safe. I park in that little area all the time as I do business there. Remember, during one day a week per side you'll have to move for street cleaning. The tickets are 50 bucks, I know from experience. The challenge when you have tight parking is finding spots the night before street cleaning if the sweeper comes really early. If it comes late, no worries. On the 823 S. Orange Grove, I'm not sure. Some down there have ample parking, some don't. The Orange Grove south of Pico...I have no idea.

I will add that I'm pretty sure the first two have permit parking for residents only overnight which is a blessing to keep people parking on the street to a minimum.
Sounds about as bad as I expected, haha. I'll be sure to check it out morning and night to make sure about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles