Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy Tlapazola in WLA. It's Oaxacan cuisine but has most of the basic Mexican food. Great ambiance, good quality ingredients.

I can tell you the most expensive and trendy Mexican restaurant in all of LA county is Red O on Melrose. I've never been there, but I don't think anyone's called it the best Mexican food, just the most "prestigious"

A lot of people like Loteria Grill but I was very disappointed. El Torito is even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

I can tell you the most expensive and trendy Mexican restaurant in all of LA county is Red O on Melrose. I've never been there, but I don't think anyone's called it the best Mexican food, just the most "prestigious"
For the moment, until the robotic trendoids will move on.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i think you're referring to paco's tacos. that place is good, although a little too family friendly for my tastes. the centinela/washington location has less kids and the food is just as good.
Wow, I never knew the place was family-oriented since I'm pretty much an age segregationist. What's it like in the weekdays?

What's the name of this place on Washington?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Wow, I never knew the place was family-oriented since I'm pretty much an age segregationist. What's it like in the weekdays?

What's the name of this place on Washington?
the bar is lively with the happy hour crowd during the week, but the main part of the restaurant had tons of kids every time I ate there. the place on centinela just south of washington is also paco's tacos and has the same menu. it gets VERY crowded there though, but they do serve margaritas and free chips and salsa while you're waiting to be seated.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the bar is lively with the happy hour crowd during the week, but the main part of the restaurant had tons of kids every time I ate there. the place on centinela just south of washington is also paco's tacos and has the same menu. it gets VERY crowded there though, but they do serve margaritas and free chips and salsa while you're waiting to be seated.
You're childfree too?

I admit those tortilla chips are off the hook.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Casa Escobar in Santa Monica and Casablanca in Venice.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
My favorite taco stand is Hugo's Tacos on Glendale Ave. in Atwater Village. Really really good tacos. Another good one is El Sauz on San Fernando and Chevy Chase in Glendale.

For kind of more "upscale" Mexican we like Casa in downtown L.A. Not really "authentic" though... but good food.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
A few spots vie in my memory for "best Mexican in LA," all for different reasons, I suppose.

El Texate is a good Oaxacan place in Santa Monica. It's in an alley behind a gas station off of Pico, between 3rd and 4th.

There's a better Oaxacan place down on like 8th street... let me see if I can find it here using The Google... there we go: Guelaguetza. Awesome stuff. If you need an introduction to mole, this is your spot.

For more straightforward Mexican, I like Mexican Village on Beverly, East of Vermont. Best guac ever, and their fresh habanero salsa is to die for.

I was also a big fan of La Cabana. Order the El Rojo... monstrous burrito mojado with everything plus chile rellenos in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles