Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Yeah, I like how there's less gang activity on the Westside, and far less graffiti. And how about that improved traffic...
Yeah, that's where I'd love to live in the future.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 AM

55 posts, read 79,648 times
see i knew you guys had some pride for L.A.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:49 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
It's, er um, sort of telling that unless one can afford to live in the very best areas of a metropolis that one will be living in quasi-dangerous, difficult areas, unlike most major cities in the U.S. in which a satisfactory mid-income life can be carved out.

This forum remains a useful tool to relocators wishing the inside scoop on the inevitable trade-offs involved in moving, which is too expensive a proposition to commit forseeable errors. People are smart enough to infer that well-off, younger, unattached posters tend to like Los Angeles, and those struggling with their incomes and/or involved with their families will not be the ones reaping any particular benefit from moving here beyond sunshine.

Weather and entertainment business inroads in Los Angeles indeed are the main recommendations with which I always concur on this forum. But as a five-decade resident of L.A. who's not rich, I've observed a huge decline in quality of life issues for those of us not on the West side. Note how many local and recent expat posters agree with same: it's not good ol' days-ism if less than 18 years ago widespread middle-class neighborhoods existed without the presence of gangs and illegals.

Don't declare truth-telling off limits. Trade-offs, people: decide accordingly. Sorceror's world here works great for him and that's wonderful: see how much of your own life coincides with his. My concerns involve my formerly middle-class neighborhood newly overrun with hellacious quality of life issues, recent extremely bad L.A. laws affecting all, and cost of living. We'll move away forever as soon as my husband retires and we sell the house: not a chance of recidivistic returning.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I'm not the tourist board. I've been to Arkansas too. I couldn't seem to find the nice part, the ocean or a dentist.
I'm so happy you're happy.
That's the attitude that gives LA residents a bad reputation in the rest of the country. The superior, condescending "if its not LA, it sucks" attitude.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The city hasn't changed all that much, I'm not sure what you mean by "cesspool" though. But if you are the type to enjoy Hot Springs, AR then I suppose I can see how you'd think LA was a cesspool. I would almost prefer to live in Compton than in AR.....but hey different strokes for different folks.
I'm not wild about being compared to sewage, which is what one commonly finds in cesspools. The assertion is asinine and an insult to ALL Angelenos who, in my opinion deserve an apology.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:20 AM

268 posts, read 889,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I'm not the tourist board. I've been to Arkansas too. I couldn't seem to find the nice part, the ocean or a dentist.
I'm so happy you're happy.
Well I know you won't find the ocean in Arkansas or maybe even a dentist but the place is pretty, even I have to give it that.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I grew up in Los Angeles and have lived here 95% of my entire life and if I have any negative feeling it's because I've watched a once beautiful city turn into a cesspool. I understand this to be a forum for information - good or bad. If you only want to hear the good, call the tourist board. They'll be more than happy to sing LA's praises. If you want real, you come to forums like this.
While I disagree with the characterization of LA as a "cesspool," I too grew up on LA and have lived my whole life here. I too have seen LA's deterioration over the years. As recently as 25 years ago I had planned to live the rest of my life here but today I can't wait to leave, and it's the sick housing market that prevents me from leaving immediately.

Los Angeles has a great many positive things and a great many negative things about it, and often these depend on who you are, what you like and what you want or need. It could be great for some people and perhaps a "cesspool" for others, but not me. For me it's just more trouble than it's worth, the negative overwhelming the positive at least enough to make me want to leave. But for others this could still be a great place to live.

I've been using my time on CD finding out about other areas I may possibly wish to move to, and getting lots of great information and advice. To pay it back I've been hanging around in the LA and CA forums trying to present a balanced picture of both the good and the bad. As CDSpeed said, we're discussing the real, both good and bad. Pointing out negative things is not "degrading LA." It's helping people who may wish to move here to understand just exactly what they are getting into. As long as they will benefit from the good and aren't bothered by the bad overly much, they can get a clear picture of the reality of LA and then decide for themselves if LA is for them.

So this thread title isn't aimed at me. I'm not degrading Los Angeles. I'm just telling it like it is, both good and bad.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:20 PM

514 posts, read 1,440,686 times
If you enjoy the traffic L.A is the place for you.I moved cause i was tired of the extra 1/2 it takes to make an 18 min drive on normal conditions.Plus,once you get off work and arrive home safely,you better not plan to go anyway cause the freeways wont let you travel,unless you like stop and go traffic and a 2 hour drive in those conditions.Never want to go to santa monica from the valley around 6pm..Might get there at 8pm

Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Every major city forum complains about traffic.

There are ways around traffic.

1. Move close to work.
2. Work it out with your employer to come in and leave at off-traffic times.

My husband for years commuted from Pasadena to Beverly Hills, but he went in at 10am and left at 7pm and rarely had traffic.

I realize this is not always possible, but if you can, change it.

Dawn

Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM

514 posts, read 1,440,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Every major city forum complains about traffic.

There are ways around traffic.

1. Move close to work.
2. Work it out with your employer to come in and leave at off-traffic times.

My husband for years commuted from Pasadena to Beverly Hills, but he went in at 10am and left at 7pm and rarely had traffic.

I realize this is not always possible, but if you can, change it.

Dawn
No where is as bad as LA,except new york.Who would want to move closer to work,Normally the areas closer to work are not very nice neighborhoods.Not all the times,just usually.

People complain of traffic in phoenix and tucson.Thats not a problem,they should feel fortunate they dont have to deal with LA's traffic

I laugh at the people who complain about traffic down here.Always tell them this is nothing to complain about.This traffic is just normal day traffic back home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles