U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 20,058 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to SoCal after living on the each coast for 11 years. I work in LA and live in Camarillo, a very long commute with plenty of time on the 101. Every day I see it getting worse and worse. Why are people just dumping trash, pillows, plastic, bottles, cans, etc on the freeway? Doesn't anyone have pride in where they live? Don't even get me started on spray paint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,263,060 times
A small percentage of the overall population cause these problems you speak of. As the population swell, the problems grow. It's simple math!

10,000 people x 1% bad apples = 100 bad apples
100,000 people x 1% bad apples = 1,000 bad apples

Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM

269 posts, read 832,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieon101 View Post
I just moved back to SoCal after living on the each coast for 11 years. I work in LA and live in Camarillo, a very long commute with plenty of time on the 101. Every day I see it getting worse and worse. Why are people just dumping trash, pillows, plastic, bottles, cans, etc on the freeway? Doesn't anyone have pride in where they live? Don't even get me started on spray paint.
All my family from from the east coast that comes to visit me ask me about the trash on the roads. Between the litter and the leftover car parts from the daily wrecks I don't think the state can get to it soon enough.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM

641 posts, read 2,884,762 times
Welcome home to Mexifornia! You know what they say--'as California goes, so goes the country.' Those that moved away are just buying themselves and their families time. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Quote:

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 07-18-2008 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,182,252 times
Quote:
I share your frustration....

In certain cultures, countries etc. it is customary & routine to throw trash into the street and curb. In my experience, questioning this practice generally leads to conflict and the feeling of "dis-honor" by the litterbug. These customs are applied by those who are not accepting of our laws and culture.

With regards to US born citizens/2nd & 3rd generation, the laws and customs are known, however either disregarded due to the above status quo or due to pure laziness, and passive arrogance, which is really a form of low self esteem.

Other sources are commercial trucks, and pickups. I've witnessed several incidents where objects and trash fly out of pickup beds, garbage trucks, cmml trucks etc. where there is inadequate screening of the bed or truck.

What I find equally as bad is the homeowner or businessowner who lets the trash accumulate or sit infront of their property.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 20,058 times
It's funny, I heard the term "Mexi-fornia" before I moved back. I thought.. I celebrate cultural diversity... I will embrace my fellow humans to the south and all will be well. I also heard warnings from coworkers in Maryland/WDC telling me I must be crazy to move to SoCal.

It's almost like the movie the Butterfly Effect where no matter what the main character did the future turned out horribly wrong. I am so sad that this happened to California. It use to be heaven on earth. This has turned out to be an absolute nightmare. I would move, but the home I purchased dropped $100,000 in value over the last year. Maybe I'll just sleep through this and magically, when I wake up it, will go back to the place I loved.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:29 PM

14,531 posts, read 17,031,472 times
Quote:
Every day I see it getting worse and worse. Why are people just dumping trash, pillows, plastic, bottles, cans, etc on the freeway? Doesn't anyone have pride in where they live?
It's simple. It costs money to take stuff to a dump. It's free if you dump it on the side of the freeway or in a cul-de-sac.

A lot of trashy people have moved here, many of them illegally, and lots of them came here for what they can get, what they can take. They don't care about what the place is like as long as they can get money. They have no pride, they have no respect for the law.

Speaking of recycling--yeah, I know, nobody mentioned it--a few days ago somebody took all the sprinkler heads off of my parkway, presumably because they were brass, presumably because they can get a few dimes each at a metal recycler, and it cost me about $25 to replace them.

What the hell kind of city is it when somebody steals your sprinklers? Who would do that? (Rhetorical question.) It's the same kind of people who dump their trash on the freeway or on public streets.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:23 PM

236 posts, read 1,075,672 times
I often see a driver or passenger from another car throw a fast food wrapper or cigarette butt out their car window...

I wish that somehow that trash could magically throw itself back into the litterbug's face.

That would be very humorous to me.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,756,498 times
i see plenty of people litter from thier cars. and its not the illegals as you all claim. a lot of people driving nice cars actually.
the worst perps in my opinion are old white men. those are the ones i have seen do it the most. one day i was driving with a friend and he noticed an old man in a nice car do this. he threw a whole bag from jack in the box out. not just a burger wrapper, a whole bag of trash.
my friend was apalled.
he thought the "give a hoot, dont pollute" campaign would have taken care of this problem.
i was not suprised.

i too wish the trash would just jump back in and miraculously double within the car. or sometimes wish a cop was around. not that cops need to preoccupy themselves with litter bugs, but i wish the perp would get whats coming.

i hate litter bugs. and those come in all shapes and sizes. excep hte worst perps i have seen are these lil old white men in nice cars.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 PM

355 posts, read 1,369,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i see plenty of people litter from thier cars. and its not the illegals as you all claim. a lot of people driving nice cars actually.
the worst perps in my opinion are old white men. those are the ones i have seen do it the most. one day i was driving with a friend and he noticed an old man in a nice car do this. he threw a whole bag from jack in the box out. not just a burger wrapper, a whole bag of trash.
my friend was apalled.
he thought the "give a hoot, dont pollute" campaign would have taken care of this problem.
i was not suprised.

i too wish the trash would just jump back in and miraculously double within the car. or sometimes wish a cop was around. not that cops need to preoccupy themselves with litter bugs, but i wish the perp would get whats coming.

i hate litter bugs. and those come in all shapes and sizes. excep hte worst perps i have seen are these lil old white men in nice cars.
What a load of ****. "Old white men". And where is this magical place in the southland where you see "mostly" "old white men" doing the littering? Because you must be confusing "old white men" with "latinos/latinas" and "ghetto residents".

Take a drive through Beverly Hills, Hancock Park, La Canada, San Marino/good parts of Pasadena/South Pas., Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Malibu Palos Verdes Peninsula, south/coastal OC or any other locale of mainly "old white men". Then drive down Crenshaw into Baldwin Hills, Inglewood, Cudahy, Huntington Park, Maywood, Compton, south central, east LA etc. See the difference? It's the local residents who are doing the littering...now compare the residents and tell me the difference. It isn't the skin color though - it's the ghetto and trashy mentality that's the problem.

Just the other day I'm patrolling through Highland Park, and this typical cholo gangbanger looking Hispanic teenage bum, we ALL know the type, just takes his candy bar wrapper and throws it onto the sidewalk in a big show. Like, "look at me, I'm a big bad litterbug...I'm contributing to the decay and blight of my environment." This little buzzed head joke, thinking he's so tough, at 5'4" and 110 pounds when soaking wet, had the nerve to defiantly litter - really make a show of it.

I pulled over immediately, got out, and told him to pick his trash up and dispose of it in the trash receptacle not more than 20 feet away from his 'act of defiance'. The little sissy punk did so posthaste. I'm sure it helped that I was on duty and in uniform. It was too bad he had nothing outstanding and nothing on him.

Last edited by Delron; 07-18-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles