Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,087 times

Advertisements

Because of the issues with the schools in LAUSD, why don't more people homeschool? Have any homeschoolers moved in from out of state and continue to homeschool? How well received are you and what issues do you face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
Welcome to City-Data. I honestly think the reason that more kids aren't homeschooled here is because both parents are forced to work, sometimes more than one job, just to survive here. L.A. is an expensive place to live, and it really takes two incomes to live comfortably.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 PM

59 posts, read 222,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Welcome to City-Data. I honestly think the reason that more kids aren't homeschooled here is because both parents are forced to work, sometimes more than one job, just to survive here. L.A. is an expensive place to live, and it really takes two incomes to live comfortably.
I agree with SandyCo,

As I mentioned in a previous post to you, people would be more receptive to the idea, however with the cost of living people are just grateful being able to pay their rent or high mortgages. Many Californians are just trying to stay above water to make it. I would definately consider living away from the the Los Angeles Metropolitan area. Maybe the Inland Empire, or Lancaster etc. The only thing about these areas is the fact that they are far form Los Angeles, approximately 45 minutes to an hour without traffic, and if you haven't already heard, our traffic is worst that Texas any day! Another aspect to consider, is the rent in these areas still may be more that you may want to spend, in comparison to Texas. A lot to think about

Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM

17 posts, read 44,545 times
i homeschool my son and work my main job at home. i will be getting another part time job to make ends meet. i am a single mother and will be roughing it all alone. I plan to give ca a try, even if only temp

Old 02-18-2007, 05:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,778,988 times
I home school our son we live almost 3 hours from DH's work (75 miles) so I can afford to. We are leaving Ca, because of the high housing, ridiculous traffic, and awful schools!
MBG

Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 44,545 times
Since I work from home and homeschool my son, I figured I'd give it a try for about a year, and if I don't like it, I'll just move again. Although I still am not sure where to go. Where can I live making 3000.00 net/month? My income will increase with each year.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa1002 View Post
Since I work from home and homeschool my son, I figured I'd give it a try for about a year, and if I don't like it, I'll just move again. Although I still am not sure where to go. Where can I live making 3000.00 net/month? My income will increase with each year.
How old is your child and how often do you move? Please consider what moving often does to children. They are NOT that resilient, they just keep their feelings inside and act out sooner or later. The attitude of "I'll just move again" is o.k. when you are single. My personal opinion of homeschooling is that it keeps kids in a bubble, and unless you have your kids enrolled in recreational activities where they mix with others kids outside of homeschooling, their development socially will be stunted. Please know that I am not judging you personally since I do not know you or your situtation....just my general observation of homeschooling and personal experience of moving with a child. Good luck to you.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
How old is your child and how often do you move? Please consider what moving often does to children. They are NOT that resilient, they just keep their feelings inside and act out sooner or later. The attitude of "I'll just move again" is o.k. when you are single. My personal opinion of homeschooling is that it keeps kids in a bubble, and unless you have your kids enrolled in recreational activities where they mix with others kids outside of homeschooling, their development socially will be stunted. Please know that I am not judging you personally since I do not know you or your situtation....just my general observation of homeschooling and personal experience of moving with a child. Good luck to you.
Homeschooling does NOT keep kids in a bubble, that is a myth,and home schooled children are not socially or developmentally stunted! I used to be a public school teacher, and as a current homeschooling mom, I know for a fact that is a major misconception. You are right though, kids are not as resilient as we adults expect them to be another myth to alleviate parental guilt!
MBG

Old 02-20-2007, 02:26 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Homeschooling does NOT keep kids in a bubble, that is a myth,and home schooled children are not socially or developmentally stunted! I used to be a public school teacher, and as a current homeschooling mom, I know for a fact that is a major misconception. You are right though, kids are not as resilient as we adults expect them to be another myth to alleviate parental guilt!
MBG
Uhm, actually, it depends on who is doing the homeschooling. Midnight, don't make it sound like nobody is using homeschooling as a bubble - I know that religious fundamentalists homeschool in order to instill more religion into their children, for instance.

At the same time, not all homeschooling acts as a bubble - I believe some people even homeschool in groups!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Uhm, actually, it depends on who is doing the homeschooling. Midnight, don't make it sound like nobody is using homeschooling as a bubble - I know that religious fundamentalists homeschool in order to instill more religion into their children, for instance.

At the same time, not all homeschooling acts as a bubble - I believe some people even homeschool in groups!
You know what I have noticed, is that some kids in school, both public and private are more sheltered than most home schooled kids I have dealt with. I think it is because home schooled kids are out there all the time. They spend more time in the real world as it were. They do not have the pretense that school is somehow real life. Real life is their school.
Sure there are some homeschooling families out there who live in the dark ages, but from my experience, they are in the minority. More power to the parents who take the time and do it, even if it is for religious reasons. How does religion add to your bubble theory? Sounds like you have issues with it for fundamental reasons, if you get my drift.

MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles