Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quite a few people on this board would be very happy if the situation that exists in Hermosa was the worst thing they had to worry about in their neighborhoods....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 29,270 times
I was happy to see more info from the area, particularly about Hermosa Beach. Thanks to all of you for replying. I think I'm more interested in the safety and price of the area. Is it nice? Honestly, my son is not the type that would get involved with that stuff for many reasons. He is a varsity soccer player, as well as a varsity wrestler. He carries a high GPA, and is in many advanced classes. All of that, along with the fact that he's always with me (and doing homework) after practice let's me be able to say with confidence that he won't hang out with that group. He usually just hangs out with some of his teammates. I don't really let him go to parties or out unsupervised during the weekends. We do things as a family.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:05 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveInfoSeeker View Post
I was happy to see more info from the area, particularly about Hermosa Beach. Thanks to all of you for replying. I think I'm more interested in the safety and price of the area. Is it nice? Honestly, my son is not the type that would get involved with that stuff for many reasons. He is a varsity soccer player, as well as a varsity wrestler. He carries a high GPA, and is in many advanced classes. All of that, along with the fact that he's always with me (and doing homework) after practice let's me be able to say with confidence that he won't hang out with that group. He usually just hangs out with some of his teammates. I don't really let him go to parties or out unsupervised during the weekends. We do things as a family.
Hermosa Beach is a Great Area! I'm not blowin' fluff either. The beach part was rated the best beach in the United States, by a certain magazine a few years back. The city has a ton of late 20 and early 30 proffesionals. You'll see them in the BMW SUV'S. But, there are still great wholesome families and people. It's a strong mixture. That's great your son has alot going for him. I wouldn't worry at all then, it's just the kids whose parents are not involved with their children's lives much. It seems you and your son are very well rounded. You should have no problems! Mira Costa is a great high school for your son to attend, the academics are incredible. I think it's in the top 100 of schools on a National Level, don't know the ranking. Hermosa Beach kids have the ability to either go to Redondo Union High School or Mira Costa High School of which is located in Manhattan Beach. The parking can be scary though, the whole city has meters. The residents have a residence parking tag, but parking can be terrible still. You'll want to make sure you guys got a place to park your car on your property! The city is huge into surfing, and hosts the AVP(proffesional volleyball), every year. The summer time highs are high 70's with dry heat, and the winter rarely dips below in the mid 40's! Anymore questions friend! The city has alot of tourists in the summer! You could get an apartment for probably $1500-$1600 in Hermosa, the area is perfectly safe!!! It's alot of money, but it's worth it! If you go to the picture section of this website engrained into the demographics, and click Hermosa Beach, the photos are great of the city! Tell me if you got to it alright!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 AM

40 posts, read 184,202 times
Are you going to be stationed there? Or will you be a civilian?

We moved away yrs ago so traffic is something I'm not really keen on (but I now deal with DC beltway traffic). Nothing compares to LA traffic, in my mind. You WILL want to live AWAY from LAAFB, and if you're concerned about schools, base housing shouldn't be considered (if you qualify-status). The only thing I could tell you to look into is officer housing, again... if you're active duty, which is closer to the Palos Verdes area (up the hill from Fort Mac Arthur), and the schools may be a better option. It surely is a better area.

We enjoyed our time there, but you will run into a challenge with regard to cost of living vs safety.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 AM

Hello Madonna Inn, I am a civilian employee. The prices seem out of my range in the beach cities...well, Redondo might look do-able. So I've been looking at El Segundo and San Pedro. Any thoughts on those areas and the high schools there? It seems like you can get more of a place for your dollar in those two cities than one of the beach cities.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM

Or, just for research purposes, what about Long Beach? How long would the commute take from there? I'd still ultimately prefer Hermosa or Redondo (I thinked I've ruled out Manhattan). I don't want anything inland. It seems traffic, crime and the schools get worse the more inland you get. Looking at westside rentals and craigslist, I can afford a place in El Segundo, Possibly Hermosa, Possibly Redondo, San Pedro and Long Beach. I'd lean towards Hermosa because I think someone said you can attend Mira Costa HS if you live there, so that would be great for my son. I just want to live in a safe place, but have a little extra $$ each month to be able to "enjoy" the different things L.A. can offer.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 AM

I would not go with San Pedro, the area has definently gotten worse over the years, and the crime has flew up. Their are a few nice areas, but it would have to be near the Korean Bell Park. San Pedro high is not terrible, but it's surely not the best school. You should scratch out San Pedro, unless you want a cultural experience. You should definently look into El Segundo, it's a very nice area. The schools are excellent, and the community is very friendly. There are lots of events, and most folks in the city belong to family. The city has a small town feel, 15,000 people. Their are some excellent restraunts, and the downtown area is great. In regards to your commute, it will take you 5 minutes to the base. El Segundo is also two minutes from the beach.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Or, just for research purposes, what about Long Beach? How long would the commute take from there? I'd still ultimately prefer Hermosa or Redondo (I thinked I've ruled out Manhattan). I don't want anything inland. It seems traffic, crime and the schools get worse the more inland you get. Looking at westside rentals and craigslist, I can afford a place in El Segundo, Possibly Hermosa, Possibly Redondo, San Pedro and Long Beach. I'd lean towards Hermosa because I think someone said you can attend Mira Costa HS if you live there, so that would be great for my son. I just want to live in a safe place, but have a little extra $$ each month to be able to "enjoy" the different things L.A. can offer.
Long Beach is fine on the Northwest, West, Southwest, and central areas of the city. You could easily afford this area, your commute would probably take you thirty five minutes to the base. The area is very pleasant and quiet. Like El Segundo, rather than Hermosa, Manhattan, or Redondo, you'll get a great community feel, even though the city has over 450,000 people. The city is very spread out, so it's hard to feel the congestion. The 405 freeway will not clear out for another year or so, they are doing major construction in the West L.A. area, which will heavily alleviate traffic in other parts of the freeway. If your son could attend Mira Costa, he could easily get into a top notch college. Teachers told me on numerous occasions when I attended there from 2001-2005 that colleges know Mira Costa high school. The admissions shows a favoritism towards the kids because they understand the high achievement level. Redondo Beach is not a bad option, Redondo Union High School is an excellent school as well. If I were you, I'd go with El Segundo. The schools are great there as well. If you live in El Segundo, you just shoot down El Segundo Blvd. to the base, and your there. I think this city best fits your criteria of price and all around quality. Hope I could help friend!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM

dusesean1986, I think I'm going to take your advice and stay away from San Pedro. Others have also said that it's not that great there. I can take the hint.

I am looking into El Segundo, but I also noticed their school doesn't have a wrestling squad. That poses a major problem for my son. Though that doesn't necessarily rule out El Segundo, it does make Mira Costa and Redondo Union look more enticing. Which I think the commute from Hermosa or Redondo wouldn't be too bad from work either.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:

I am looking into El Segundo, but I also noticed their school doesn't have a wrestling squad. That poses a major problem for my son. Though that doesn't necessarily rule out El Segundo, it does make Mira Costa and Redondo Union look more enticing. Which I think the commute from Hermosa or Redondo wouldn't be too bad from work either.
Wow, I never knew that. Yeah, this does present a problem. I'm not sure of the quality of wrestling teams in the area, North Torrance isn't bad. Mira Costa and Redondo are very supportive of every sport. A commute from Hermosa and Redondo Beach would take you 15 to 20 minutes max, just take Sepulveda to El Segundo Blvd. I like to refer to Sepulveda as the "freeway street," the lights are timed well, and the traffic moves well. I bet if you came to this area ecspecially now in the winter, you would love it! It's a tremendous area to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles