U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 4,720,318 times
You could actually find some really good apartments deals around Koreatown. Midshire. I was looking at them on Yahoo Real Estate and there's ALOT of good deals.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: No direct links to real estate ads, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 33,452 times
thanks! i've been using a few different sites to search for apartments. Seems like a lot of places are giving good deals right now, like x weeks free. Rentals must be hurting along with the rest of the economy.

sorry if this isn't allowed, i hope it is (not a link to real estate ads). i found a really good resource that contains user apartment ratings, which gave me some valuable info on a few places i was actually considering (such as roach problems, unresponsive mgmt, etc).

Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

It seems to be better fit for larger apartment buildings with a name associated with it. Better than nothing.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM

240 posts, read 1,055,889 times
I live here in Koreatown and have been here for awhile. Like others have stated, I think if you are going to come here with your wife, her safety, as well as affordability, should be important to the two of you and the MarArthur park area is still too seedy to be safe.

However, if you stay north of Wilshire but don't go too far north, for example, stay south of Fourth, if you can, you should be able to find some affordable apartments that are in relatively safe areas and within walking distance of the Vermont/Wilshire, Normandie/Wilshire or Western/Wilshire train stations. If you have a good budget, I notice that they are renting brand new luxury apartments at the Vermont/Wilshire station. These apartments are brand new, so you should be in a safe building (should we experience another earthquake). Although these apartments will not be as inexpensive as those in older buildings, in the older buildings here we have a lot of probems with pest control (roaches) that you will probably not experience in a brand new building.

The best way to find an apartment here is to visit the area and drive around looking for rental signs. I notice quite a few in the area when I walk to the post office.

This area is going to be even better in the years to come because they are building a brand new high-rise mall at the corner of Vermont/Wilshire. The only thing we've been missing in this area has been decent department stores and a nice movie theatre, so this will be a very welcome addition and make living here much more pleasant.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 AM

70 posts, read 206,256 times
there are a ton of apartments nestled in western/san marino/normandie/wilshire. i would also advise you just walk around and take a look...

some of those new apartments are so expensive....2,600 for a 2 bedroom...in ktown????

Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,905,443 times
I used to work at 5th and Virgil (it's a Korean spa these days) and took the train just about every day. The old apartments/highrises on Irolo/Normandie are nice, and you got lots of restaurant options on Wilshire. The HMS Bounty is fun (bottom of the Gaylord Apts.) 'the one' knows the area pretty well- I've been down those streets and his observations check out. The Radisson has a nice restaurant as well.

Oh, and I highly recommend Taylor's Steakhouse on 8th. I recommended it to some friends from OC who needed to satisfy a steak urge before going off to see 'Wicked.' They loved it.

Oh yeah, and the best/cheapest smokes in town are at Leon's Cigars, just west of Western on Sixth. Leon just passed away, RIP. That little store is amazing- they still hand-roll 'em.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemath View Post
So I have read a few posts here and there mentioning Koreatown and Mid-Wilshire are good places to live in your young and want a place with a little more urban feel...

I am moving to L.A. from S.F. with my wife and I have posted on the forum about some other areas but am curious if there are bad areas in Korea town because we are finding a lot of the older building being completely renovated due to the gentrifying (spell?) of the area. I have found nice renovated apartments in the the areas around these three intersections: (Wilshire Blvd/Western Ave), (Wilshire Blvd/Normandie Ave), (Wilshire Blvd/Virgil Ave).

Was trying to get some feedback on those areas. I understand that the last of the three is getting closer to MacArthur Park, where I heard there is some undesirable elements, but wanted to know about those areas in general, and something a little more detailed reponse then the typical white person responce of 'There's crime in that area, don't move there...'

And realizing that despite my own personal ideals of what should matter in this world, I also realize that race does matter in some areas where you can become a target for being a certain color, I am white and my wife is Persian, who most often times is mistaken for being hispanic or some other minority...

thanks for all the help...
the wilshire "corridor" is traffic galore....and LA traffic in generalis nuts the areas you mention are decent and LA is so multi-cultural you and the wife should have no problems

Old 12-13-2008, 10:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 538,159 times
The Mid-Wilshire is probably more diverse than most of the bay area. Diversity isn't the issue. But there is some crime in the area. It might be worth while to spend some time poking around on these links.

Mid-Wilshire, Los Angeles, CA on LA Life
LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles

Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

85 posts, read 84,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
The Mid-Wilshire is probably more diverse than most of the bay area. Diversity isn't the issue. But there is some crime in the area. It might be worth while to spend some time poking around on these links.

Mid-Wilshire, Los Angeles, CA on LA Life
LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles
Surely these figures aren't right. I find it hard to believe that there are so many areas with such a low safety rating.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 AM

197 posts, read 233,082 times
I notice another thread about this area and asked these questions there as well.

How much does a one bed go for? How far is Ktown from West Hollywood? Would you consider this a up and coming gentrified area? Do the building have pools since this is one thing I really like to have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles