U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,326 times
Default Got a job in Santa Monica

I accepted a job in Santa Monica, and was starting to look for apartments to live. I'm moving here from Austin, and flying into LAX this weekend to look at places.

My office is at the corner of Colorado and Cloverfield, and my wife will probably be going to UCLA (but starting a year from now). What would be some good apartments to live in. I'm making around $120k gross, have no debts, no car payments.

I'd prefer to live somewhere where I can walk to restaurants, bars, and possibly a grocery store (and as much else as possible), and I want to keep my commute very short (<15 minutes, my wife will probably take public transportation to UCLA if there's a bus stop near by).

Any recommendations or advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM

5,612 posts, read 9,445,107 times
Good News! You can find what you want by living near the 3rd Street promenade. A wide variety of entertainment will be within walking distance including the Farmer's market. Your wife can take a decent bus service to school: the Big Blue Bus service goes from Downtown Santa Monica to UCLA the number 1. Good Luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 AM

6,182 posts, read 11,601,957 times
there are many places to live that will fit your requirements. anything west of lincoln in santa monica will fit the bill, or anywhere within a block of wilshire blvd in santa monica or west LA will also have what you are looking for. rents in these areas aren't cheap, but a decent 2br can usually be found for $2500 or less. as for your wife, the big blue bus has 7 or 8 lines that go to ucla, so no matter where you decide to live, she should have an easy bus ride to ucla.

I live in the most southwestern portion of santa monica, also called ocean park. my wife and i both really enjoy living here and its access to all the things you mentioned, plus the beach! i will more than happily help you with any other questions you may have, let me know.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,651,318 times
Here is info from a previous post I made...

Several of the newer apartment buildings are managed by "the santa monica collection". Santa Monica Collection : Contemporary Apartment Residences in the Heart of Santa Monica..

The section just north of SMC between SMC/pico blvd and the 10 frwy is not a very nice area and you should avoid it. South of SMC is a clean area but mostly single family homes and some duplexes, 4plexes etc. but fewer apartments.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

8 posts, read 36,906 times
HELLO soone please help me, HOW DO I POST a new thread? Anyone, please help lol

Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 PM

208 posts, read 701,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandeepShekar View Post
I accepted a job in Santa Monica, and was starting to look for apartments to live. I'm moving here from Austin, and flying into LAX this weekend to look at places.

My office is at the corner of Colorado and Cloverfield, and my wife will probably be going to UCLA (but starting a year from now). What would be some good apartments to live in. I'm making around $120k gross, have no debts, no car payments.

I'd prefer to live somewhere where I can walk to restaurants, bars, and possibly a grocery store (and as much else as possible), and I want to keep my commute very short (<15 minutes, my wife will probably take public transportation to UCLA if there's a bus stop near by).

Any recommendations or advice?
i'd suggest the area near Main St. in Santa Monica

they've got a little website too: Main Street Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles