Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM

436 posts, read 908,036 times

Advertisements

People in LA are very distrusting and unless you have something like connections or money , they really don't want to talk to you, and friendships made are usually shallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymer View Post
hey lesallimc
There is no culture here in America. We are Descendants from the old world. We all came from some place. But America will never be as rich as a China or a Russia or Europe. Those countries have culture, order and they preserve the past. Unlike what we do here in America which is throw away everything. We are a throw away society and whatever happens outside of our every day life doesn't matter to most of us because we are a self centered America. We are careless. I've seen accidents on the 405 and no one even stops to see if they are okay. If there is no culture there is no value and if there is no value there is no moral or feeling of humanity towards each-other. This means we will all stab each other in the back because everyone is out for himself. And because of this people are not looking for friends they are looking for benefits.

Interesting. That is true for the majority of Americans especially those in the midwest and south.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Stereotype much? And, much as I'd like to argue the point(s) above, let's keep to the topic of LA, please.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
My friends out here were actually born and raised in LA. They are the most honest/loyal friends I have. "LA people" are not really "LA people". It's flakes from all around the state/world that move here but not all are flakes because i'm not and nor are my fellow Brits/European friends. I tend to make better friends with immigrants too. I have a lot more in common with them seeing as i'm an immigrant myself. People seem to forget that because i'm British.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM

24 posts, read 106,712 times
Default Why have a friend who drives a honda when you can have a friend who drives a Jaguar?

I find this very true as well. Again, my opinion and you may think differently.

Most folks here in Los Angeles are from other states and countries. I could understand how it could be hard to make friends here especially when you first meet someone most of that conversation, if not all, was based on lies. And if the person you have met hasn't asked you indirectly "what can you do for me?" before the conversation is over you might just have found a potential buddy.

I get along with most people from other countries too. I have an immediate connection usually. If I am in Italy I meet sweet Italians who invited us to dinner or invited for conversation with hard working family from Bangladesh. Maybe people with personalities are attracted to people with personalities. Maybe "Monkeys" (superficial robots and name brand rat race consumers) are attracted to each-other. I have not a clue what the case is.

You have a very good point Miss Pip.

Cities can be cold, people are here to follow a dream $$$ that was sold to them on the TV. Hence adults and young teens coming from Mid west and South because they want to be the next top model, singer, or actor. Because of this people are not looking for a real friend they are looking for connections and networks. This creates an imbalance for us honest loving folks here in Los Angeles. We have nothing to offer but our good ole friendship.

I think there are a lot of causes. Look at the cost of living in Los Angeles. Now tell me that doesn't make you cranky? If it would be a simple place and if everyone would have the same financial status, we would all be friends because money would not allow us to buy our status in society, nor appeal better than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
My friends out here were actually born and raised in LA. They are the most honest/loyal friends I have. "LA people" are not really "LA people". It's flakes from all around the state/world that move here but not all are flakes because i'm not and nor are my fellow Brits/European friends. I tend to make better friends with immigrants too. I have a lot more in common with them seeing as i'm an immigrant myself. People seem to forget that because i'm British.

Last edited by Maymer; 09-10-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
you are talking about the industry. hollywood.

people in LA are NOT the industry.

the reall residents of LA are pretty good people. but if you spend your days and nights in hollywood, you only get a haded version of LA which includes nothing but transplants.

besides, i know plenty of people that have moved here and have had an easy time making friends.

its possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maymer View Post
I find this very true as well. Again, my opinion and you may think differently.

Most folks here in Los Angeles are from other states and countries. I could understand how it could be hard to make friends here especially when you first meet someone most of that conversation, if not all, was based on lies. And if the person you have met hasn't asked you indirectly "what can you do for me?" before the conversation is over you might just have found a potential buddy.

I get along with most people from other countries too. I have an immediate connection usually. If I am in Italy I meet sweet Italians who invited us to dinner or invited for conversation with hard working family from Bangladesh. Maybe people with personalities are attracted to people with personalities. Maybe "Monkeys" (superficial robots and name brand rat race consumers) are attracted to each-other. I have not a clue what the case is.

You have a very good point Miss Pip.

Cities can be cold, people are here to follow a dream $$$ that was sold to them on the TV. Hence adults and young teens coming from Mid west and South because they want to be the next top model, singer, or actor. Because of this people are not looking for a real friend they are looking for connections and networks. This creates an imbalance for us honest loving folks here in Los Angeles. We have nothing to offer but our good ole friendship.

I think there are a lot of causes. Look at the cost of living in Los Angeles. Now tell me that doesn't make you cranky? If it would be a simple place and if everyone would have the same financial status, we would all be friends because money would not allow us to buy our status in society, nor appeal better than the other.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
And, of course, "Hollywood" is not the industry, either. pr at least the physical place is not the same thing as Hollywood the idea; I was a transplant living in Hollywood, yes (and originally from the Midwest, at that, which is why I bristle at the negative Midwestern stereotypes so thrown around by some people who claim to be enlightened), but had no connection to the film industry, wanted only to find a good job in in my non-glamourous, nonprofit field, could care less about things such as cars (good thing, as I don't drive and got around by bus and subway) and think I'm a pretty honest, nice, non-superficial person.

LA is a huge place. It attracts some people who are materialistic and superficial and who wouldn't make it onto my ideal friend list, but those people are by no means the only people living in LA. It's all about where you spend your time and who you spend it with. If you're only meeting shallow, materialistic people, then maybe it's time to try hanging out in different places. It's pretty easy to avoid the shallow people.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
How about if everyone reading this thread meet to talk about it? I bet you find a lot of you have a lot in common.

I didn't read through the whole thread so if this has been suggested, pardon me.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,844 times
After reading this thread I can't imagine how so many people can stand to live there. Growing up there in the 70's was bad enough...I feel fortunate to have escaped that unfriendly madness!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
After reading this thread I can't imagine how so many people can stand to live there. Growing up there in the 70's was bad enough...I feel fortunate to have escaped that unfriendly madness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles