Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:24 AM

409 posts, read 1,517,280 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for the pictures. In our price range we have quite a few new construction options and I think we will stick to that, although our agent said that some homes have been retrofitted when they were rebuilt so they are just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,280 times
What would the public or private school situation be in Bel Air? Does the Hotel Bel-Air attract traffic? Is there a lot of pedestrian traffic and crime in Bel Air?

My husband is interested in Bel Air but the traffic on Sunset Blvd concerns both of us. I have been looking for fixer-uppers in lower Bel-Air but have had no luck. We are looking for something with 3-4 bedrooms thats all, which I know is small for lower Bel Air.

Last edited by Nysee53; 08-01-2008 at 12:10 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
What would the public or private school situation be in Bel Air? Does the Hotel Bel-Air attract traffic? Is there a lot of pedestrian traffic and crime in Bel Air?

My husband is interested in Bel Air but the traffic on Sunset Blvd concerns both of us. I have been looking for fixer-uppers in lower Bel-Air but have had no luck. We are looking for something with 3-4 bedrooms thats all, which I know is small for lower Bel Air.
Some of Bel-Air is zoned to Warner Avenue ES while some is zoned to Roscomare Road ES.

All of it is zoned to Emerson MS and University HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Enicno attends either Birmingham High School which is a 3/10 or Reseda High School which is a 3/10 in API. Again, very bad scores. These schools are in LAUSD which in general has horrible schools. Encino would be a private school also.
An L.A. Times article about the school says that the academics are fine; it is the social issues (students who are used to getting Fs in middle school suddenly being hit by the seriousness of high school) which produce the low scores: Back to Basics: Why Does High School Fail So Many? - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Hancock Park is considered more upscale than La Canada (in most places except La Canada). You're hard pressed to find a prettier neighborhood and more gorgeous houses. It's got the "old money" feel and is a very safe neighborhood. I personally prefer it to BH, it's free of McMansions and is prettier and warmer. I don't know about private but one of the public schools in HC is sensational (check Greatschools.net). HC attracts some movie stars as well. It's been a filming location for several movies due to it's look and proximity to the studios. It has underground utilities and the historic streetlights. It's also spotless and surrounds the Wilshire Country Club. Homes are Moorish, Spanish Revival, Mission Revival, Spanish Colonial and a smattering of Colonial and Traditional.

La Canada is a really nice area, it's just different. HC is flat, LC is on a hillside. Your "mother ship" is Pasadena. If you're in the right spot, you can watch the fireworks from the Rose Bowl. Housing stock is different, there's lots of Mid-Century, Traditional and Architectural homes. There are also plenty of fairly average Ranch Style. Public schools are very, very good here. I can't tell you a thing about private here either.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
the latimes has a database of schools ranked by API. and schooldigger.com also has very good information on schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles