Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM

98 posts, read 113,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
The "progress" of high rises is destroying the charm of the city. There is NO NEED for people to have to live on top of retail establishments. As for third world, the areas of Alvarado to Bixel, Venice to Temple are paved, industrialized "third world". This is not positive embracable diversity. This is blood sucking, economy draining, extremely invasive diversity. But I guess you don't mind paying higher taxes and having lower quality of and lack of access to services your tax dollars pay for to accommodate "diversity".
Charm? Los Angeles has a charm??

Hmmm, the last time I checked NORMAL cities had mid-rise/high-rises, not cruddy ugly crappy low-rise strip malls a la Los Angeles. London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc. Are those global forces all third-world cities? Learn to differentiate the dreadful suburban lifestyle you cherish from true cities. Los Angeles should have more mid-rises/high-rises, period.

Well, you are moving to Arkansas of all places so I certainly wouldn't run to you for urban planning advise.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM

378 posts, read 1,438,480 times
Quote:
The "progress" of high rises is destroying the charm of the city. There is NO NEED for people to have to live on top of retail establishments. As for third world, the areas of Alvarado to Bixel, Venice to Temple are paved, industrialized "third world". This is not positive embracable diversity. This is blood sucking, economy draining, extremely invasive diversity. But I guess you don't mind paying higher taxes and having lower quality of and lack of access to services your tax dollars pay for to accommodate "diversity".
Higher taxes don't come from diversity. They come from a failing economy thanks to the war that is draining us out. I mean the war in Iraq is actually going good now and the turning point is on our side now, but it's still the reason why our dollar is losing value in the world which is why simple everyday items are getting more expensive including oil products.

Yeah they are paved but those LA have the poverty that those 3rd world countries share. No it doesn't LA has some of the highest paid citizens even the poorer people make a huge amount.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM

378 posts, read 1,438,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal elite View Post

Hmmm, the last time I checked NORMAL cities had mid-rise/high-rises, not cruddy ugly crappy low-rise strip malls a la Los Angeles. London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc. Are those global forces all third-world cities? Learn to differentiate the dreadful suburban lifestyle you cherish from true cities. Los Angeles should have more mid-rises/high-rises, period.

Well, you are moving to Arkansas of all places so I certainly wouldn't run to you for urban planning advise.
Thank you!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,822,424 times
I would like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. It is very entertaining Say what you will about LA (positive or negative), but the city certainly seems to be a never ending hot topic for passionate discussion! People just need to learn not to take this stuff so personally.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,717,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I would like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. It is very entertaining Say what you will about LA (positive or negative), but the city certainly seems to be a never ending hot topic for passionate discussion! People just need to learn not to take this stuff so personally.
lol, well if we all agreed, it would get pretty boring for sure

Old 07-28-2008, 05:09 PM

100 posts, read 362,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
So, compared to India, Bangladesh and some parts of Africa, LA is a good place? Dosn't sell me, sorry!
lol! I lived in SoCal many years ago. I go back to visit once every couple years. There is no way in hell I'd ever move back. But I am not surprised that LA still manages to seduce younger folks with it's fictional streets of gold and dreams of celebrity.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,081,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Higher taxes don't come from diversity. They come from a failing economy thanks to the war that is draining us out. I mean the war in Iraq is actually going good now and the turning point is on our side now, but it's still the reason why our dollar is losing value in the world which is why simple everyday items are getting more expensive including oil products.

Yeah they are paved but those LA have the poverty that those 3rd world countries share. No it doesn't LA has some of the highest paid citizens even the poorer people make a huge amount.
Higher taxes come from having to pay for social programs that are being being drained by the illegal immigrants who have invaded this country.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,081,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal elite View Post

LA HAD charm until the developers came in. And if you had any kind of decent education, you would know that Arkansas happens to be a very beautiful, very green State; however, considering your fondness for concrete, I can see how you would fail to appreciate natural beauty.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM

236 posts, read 787,443 times
Quote:
LA HAD charm until the developers came in. And if you had any kind of decent education, you would know that Arkansas happens to be a very beautiful, very green State; however, considering your fondness for concrete, I can see how you would fail to appreciate natural beauty.

Okay CESpeed, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you just agree re: all the negativity about the podunk South, it will help to keep your property taxes down once you are in Arkansas. Something us ignorant Southerners (please turn around while I cover my master's degree) employ quite often. Darn, did I just post to a public forum.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:22 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,717,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
Okay CESpeed, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you just agree re: all the negativity about the podunk South, it will help to keep your property taxes down once you are in Arkansas. Something us ignorant Southerners (please turn around while I cover my master's degree) employ quite often. Darn, did I just post to a public forum.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles