U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2008, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,163 times

Advertisements

I too left LA to live in NJ and work in Manhattan. After 4 years of NJ Transit, ever changing train schedules, train delays and running for the train...I'm glad to say I'm relocating back to the LA area. Some people love the craziness that NYC has to offer, I prefer the laid back attitude of the West Coast. I'm in the entertainment industry, so for me it's LA or NYC and LA wins hands down.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM

190 posts, read 292,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrde View Post
I too left LA to live in NJ and work in Manhattan. After 4 years of NJ Transit, ever changing train schedules, train delays and running for the train...I'm glad to say I'm relocating back to the LA area. Some people love the craziness that NYC has to offer, I prefer the laid back attitude of the West Coast. I'm in the entertainment industry, so for me it's LA or NYC and LA wins hands down.
Well said! I already miss LA, and I haven't even lived there yet.

I think that the LA and NY areas are near perfect areas for relocation from one to the other. The are both boast huge populations and culture with lots of opportunities. Yet the cultural, climate, and topographical differences make them seem like opposite ends of the spectrum, each of which offers a good "escape" from the other. Most of the negative aspects of life are present to roughly the same degree in each city (traffic, pollution, etc.) while others are trade-offs (earthquake risk versus hurricanes or blizzards).

Having had a heaping dose of NY and its suburbs for a quarter century, I'm ready for LA!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,352,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGirl12 View Post
Not from the tourism board, and trust me there were a lot of things that bugged me about L.A., but also trust me while my car is not banned in the tri-state area, I would have to be crazy to try and drive to work every day. The rush hour traffic rivals L.A., the parking rates in midtown Manhattan are nuts and, unlike my employer in Century City, employers here are unlikely to pay for your parking because you can take public transportation. No attempt to pain L.A. as a shangri-la, but just a suggestion that you don't always appreciate the positives about a place while you're there.
I have to agree there:

The NY/NJ area is at least as bad traffic wise compared to LA/OC------and, the weather in the former place sucks.

This coming from a Wash DC native who 'jumped ship' 30 years ago for the west

Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM

5,146 posts, read 10,174,020 times
No one is trying to "force" anyone to say anything, good or bad. The truth is that some people love living here. Whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not, these people have a different feeling about L.A. than you do. We're all aware that you don't like L.A. and can't wait to leave. While you're also entitled to your opinion, please allow others to post threads about missing L.A. without your endless negativity. There are positives to living here. Maybe you'll discover that after you move to Arkansas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I love these threads that are trying to force people to say nice things about LA. It reinforces my belief that the toursim board is hard at work in this forum trying to keep people from knowing how horrible life in LA is. There are other places besides LA where one can have a car so one can "jump in and go" after work. In fact, the last time I checked cars weren't banned in New Jersey or anywhere on the East Coast. Go buy a car, thank your lucky starts you escaped LA and Enjoy!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,580,120 times
There is nothing that could ever make me miss LA. I just find it fascinating that the people who post these threads don't simply say,"I miss LA. It was great. I wish I had appreciated it while I was there" No. They say, "Oh c'mon. Say you like LA. Just admit it. There are great things about LA." These are the comments I refer to. If you want to post I positive thread about LA. I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with people saying that posting negative things about LA is a bad thing and that those of us who feel negatively about LA are wrong and we should say only good things. My posts are to give information period. If that information is warning about a negative, that's called honesty. And contrary to popular belief, I actually do say positive things when it is warranted and only when it is warranted. I have no vested interest one way or another. I do wonder about the desparation to coerce people into saying something positive regardless of truth.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 PM

236 posts, read 523,392 times
No city is perfect. I do think if someone is unhappy where they live (and not just going through personal stuff they are blaming on the city), it can be a positive thing to make a change. I think it's also good to acknowledge what you will be leaving behind and truly ask yourself if you can live without those things. If you assess the grass is really greener for you on the other side, go for it. That's the great thing about life, we can control those things and make the moves we need to make.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 PM

62 posts, read 119,409 times
I am ashamed to admit that I just moved from L.A. three months ago and am already moving back in September. I moved to the rural south, thinking that I needed to "get away from it all." Well, I did...and now I regret it. L.A. spoils you (at least it did my husband and I). In our case, we truly didn't know what we had until we left...had I known how I much I would miss it, I would never have left. I'm not saying that L.A. doesn't have its share of problems - pollution, graffiti, gangs, litter-strewn streets and highways, traffic - but what it DOES have to offer becomes painfully clear when you move to a place that doesn't have it all.

I have lived all over the U.S. and I can't wait to get back to the greatest city of all...

For those who are unhappy in L.A. at the moment and are unsure about leaving...wait it out a little and count your blessings now. It is SO easy to become overwhelmed by the price of housing and fast-paced way of life in this city, but I now know that there is a reason that the housing is so much and the city is so crowded!!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 PM

62 posts, read 119,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
No one is trying to "force" anyone to say anything, good or bad. The truth is that some people love living here. Whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not, these people have a different feeling about L.A. than you do. We're all aware that you don't like L.A. and can't wait to leave. While you're also entitled to your opinion, please allow others to post threads about missing L.A. without your endless negativity. There are positives to living here. Maybe you'll discover that after you move to Arkansas.

"There are positives to living here. Maybe you'll discover that after you move to Arkansas." --My thoughts exactly!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM

236 posts, read 523,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettedaviseyes View Post
I am ashamed to admit that I just moved from L.A. three months ago and am already moving back in September. I moved to the rural south, thinking that I needed to "get away from it all." Well, I did...and now I regret it. L.A. spoils you (at least it did my husband and I). In our case, we truly didn't know what we had until we left...had I known how I much I would miss it, I would never have left. I'm not saying that L.A. doesn't have its share of problems - pollution, graffiti, gangs, litter-strewn streets and highways, traffic - but what it DOES have to offer becomes painfully clear when you move to a place that doesn't have it all.

I have lived all over the U.S. and I can't wait to get back to the greatest city of all...

For those who are unhappy in L.A. at the moment and are unsure about leaving...wait it out a little and count your blessings now. It is SO easy to become overwhelmed by the price of housing and fast-paced way of life in this city, but I now know that there is a reason that the housing is so much and the city is so crowded!!
I'm glad you made the decision that was right for you. I have many friends and family who wouldn't move from the South to here for anything (including a higher cost of living), but that just proves my point. One man's fortune is another's misery. Hope you get settled back in well.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:44 PM

321 posts, read 747,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGirl12 View Post
My sense is that a lot of posters are feeling not so great about LA. I moved away about a year and a half ago (native to the east coast, but in So. Cal. on/off for about 10 years), and I have to say that I miss it more than I thought I would. I am happy to have seasons again, but there is something to be said for the weather and I really miss my car. I thought I would be super happy to get back to an area with better public transportation, but there is something to be said to leaving work whenever you want and just hopping in your car and going. I miss driving with the top down through the canyons, my little spainish bungalow in studio city and my favorite restaurant place. There are a lot of drawbacks (traffic, earthquakes, pollution), but take some time to appreciate the positives of LA too.
I'm a native Southern Californian ... born in Long Beach in 1956 ... raised in San Luis Obispo before returning to SoCal in 1978 where I lived in a great apartment in Brentwood before buying a home in Venice in 1980.

I got transferred to Atlanta in 1991 ... and moved been in the NW 'burbs ever since.

I'll only say one thing: THERE IS ONLY ONE CALIFORNIA FOLKS.

Los Angeles with all it's problems and drawbacks, is still one of the worlds greatest cities.

The 'big 3' are still the best: New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

Relish what you have. I'm coming back "home" to CA when I get ready to retire (San Luis Obispo and/or Palm Springs!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles