Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM

58 posts, read 158,853 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think it will not even be the city in itself that will no longer attract people after reading on this forum but the negativity of many citizen who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:45 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
actually it is pretty normal and natural for people to live above stores b/c that is how most REAL CITIES are. You just grew up in LA before it started to become a real city and miss that idealized suburban dream that LA once was. LA has always been a city built and powered around a growth machine, even back in the day when it had plenty of land to spread out. But now that it is America's 2nd largest city and is becoming a denser more real, urban city that it should be and was destined to be and the old timers can't handle that.
Exactly. Many old time Angelenos miss the LA of the 1950's and can't stand that LA has no choice but to become denser. That's right people, LA has no choice. Millions more people are expected to move to Los Angeles in the coming decades and where do you expect to put all these people? In case you haven't noticed, LA has run out of open land to build upon. The mountains create a natural barrier that cannot be built around unless you want to live in far flung communities like Palmdale or eastern San Bernardino and drive 60+ miles to work. LA is changing and becoming denser not because of some conspiracy from evil jealous east coasters (one of the most ridiculous, paranoid statements I've ever heard); it's doing so out of necessity! These people who are moving here are going to have to live somewhere. We can't build out anymore. We have no choice but to build up.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM

390 posts, read 904,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
I don't support gross bashing one way or the other, but do you have statistics on this statement? Have you polled everyone who lives in Arkansas? Have you ever been to Arkansas? More importantly, have you ever lived there?

I say be happy where you live, and if you're not, move. I just don't get the "we're right, they're wrong" mentality (coming from either side.) If we all wanted to live in the same city, it would be VERY crowded and none of us would be happy. Plus, I wouldn't have friends in other cities to go visit.

This is the most logical thing that I have heard all day!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:43 PM

62 posts, read 182,207 times
Quote:
If I had a dime for every time I've heard, "I've driven through (insert any town other than LA here)....." First off, driving through a city and living there are two different things entirely. I grew up in a city that lives under a beautiful canopy of trees. If you never got off the freeway, you would never see all of the life going on under there. It's a very different world from LA (hidden and majestic, whereas LA is open for all to see), but that doesn't necessarily make it worse (to some, it's better.)

As I've said, I don't support bashing in either direction, but when you make comments like the one above, can you really hold yourself any higher than someone you feel is bashing LA?
I'm not bashing ANYTHING. I am just saying that I have been there, done that and everyone should watch what they wish for. I don't know why you have such issues with these comments, but to each their own I guess. I have lived all over, in many different rural areas in may different states, so YES, I do feel qualified to make the comments that I do. I am just saying that if you are miserable in the city, maybe you will be happy in a rural area, as I thought I would be. I was wrong and I am just hoping that people consider things from every angle before they up and leave, as I did.

Now go get over yourself!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 PM

236 posts, read 788,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwana_b View Post
This is the most logical thing that I have heard all day!
Thank you! Amazing to me how people can make comments like "and if you can be happy there, you must be miserable in L.A.", yet not consider it bashing.

It seems like it is getting more difficult to weed through a lot of the crap posted here in order to get to the useful information, but I won't give up! Wait, did I say something positive? I apologize in advance.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,093,032 times
If you want advice, ask a direct question. Whether the answer is positive or negative will depend on the question and who answers it.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM

236 posts, read 788,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If you want advice, ask a direct question. Whether the answer is positive or negative will depend on the question and who answers it.
Am doing just that. Just checked back on my thread with no answers. Will keep checking

Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM

62 posts, read 182,207 times
Quote:
Thank you! Amazing to me how people can make comments like "and if you can be happy there, you must be miserable in L.A.", yet not consider it bashing.

It seems like it is getting more difficult to weed through a lot of the crap posted here in order to get to the useful information, but I won't give up! Wait, did I say something positive? I apologize in advance.

Sorry, but that isn't bashing - it is amazing to me that you think it is. It is the truth: if you are very happy living in a rural area, and it fits all of your needs and wants in life, you more than likely will be unhappy living in a large, urban area. Different things for different people - no big deal. I am sorry that is that hard for you to understand - I really can't make the explantion any simpler for you. It's too bad you aren't providing any "useful' information yourself. I'm sharing my life experiences here...and you are doing what, exactly?? That's right - bashing. I'm done going back and forth with you about this- I have better things to do and this wasn't the purpose of the original post. I come here to share my experiences and thoughts about living in different areas, not to go around and around with someone that gets off on twisting people's thoughts and intentions around. Have a nice life!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,087,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGirl12 View Post
My sense is that a lot of posters are feeling not so great about LA. I moved away about a year and a half ago (native to the east coast, but in So. Cal. on/off for about 10 years), and I have to say that I miss it more than I thought I would. I am happy to have seasons again, but there is something to be said for the weather and I really miss my car. I thought I would be super happy to get back to an area with better public transportation, but there is something to be said to leaving work whenever you want and just hopping in your car and going. I miss driving with the top down through the canyons, my little spainish bungalow in studio city and my favorite restaurant place. There are a lot of drawbacks (traffic, earthquakes, pollution), but take some time to appreciate the positives of LA too.
We miss So. Cal too, more then we thought we would. We moved out of CA almost 4 years ago and we can't wait to move back. As soon as our home sells (if it ever sells) we will be high tailing it back ASAP!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 AM

18,977 posts, read 32,535,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
The second most ignorant comment I've read here. And I've read a lot of ignorant statements on this forum. LA has ALWAYS been a real city. Where, pray tell, is the definition of a city "living on top of retail"? Or "dense"? If that's the case LA has never been a "real" city. LA was never "destined" to be a dense, urban place.
Wow, you're really full of yourself aren't you? I'm sure you think you read a lot of ignorant comments probably b/c you think you're right about everything and have trouble grasping other people's opinion and points of view.

LA is NOT a real tradition city with respect to it's history and development. What was LA "destined" to be by the way? No city is "destined" to be some predetermined ideal for it's life.

I never said the "definition" of a city was housing above retail or density. It's just something that is very common and part of the urban fabric of real, traditional cities.
Quote:
People used to move to LA to escape the typical density of Eastern cities. But the jealous East Coasters couldn't stand the ideal that LA could be spread out and beautiful so the little green monsters came here to destroy what made LA wonderful and to turn it into what people are moving away from. Perhaps so they'll stay put?
What the hell are you talking about? So people from the east coast came to densify and ruin LA or something b/c they couldn't stand it being spread out?? Do you actually have anything to support this or is this another one of your off the wall opinions based on nothing? Did you ever think maybe it's getting denser b/c there is no room left to spread out so you have to build up and not out?

LA ran out of room a long time ago so it has NO CHOICE but to become denser. Can't stop population growth unless you stop creating jobs. And people like you just can't handle that. You want your little idealized LA of the 1950's where every drove w/o traffic and lived in single family homes. Well those times are long gone and LA is only going to get denser and evolve into more of a real city. Get over it already and realize you just don't like cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles