Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:27 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times

Advertisements

I've also lived in Glendale in the last 20 years -- and I travel through Glendale often. I happen to love it and I'm looking for a place to move to now -- in Glendale.

There is a huge variety of nationalities in Glendale. Armenian is one of them. A lot of people don't speak English. So what else is new?

Glendale is relatively low crime. I like that part. There is also tons of cool things to do in Glendale or close to Glendale -- so I like that part too.

No place is perfect. If you want to live around white people who speak only English, move to Denver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've also lived in Glendale in the last 20 years -- and I travel through Glendale often. I happen to love it and I'm looking for a place to move to now -- in Glendale.

There is a huge variety of nationalities in Glendale. Armenian is one of them. A lot of people don't speak English. So what else is new?

Glendale is relatively low crime. I like that part. There is also tons of cool things to do in Glendale or close to Glendale -- so I like that part too.

No place is perfect. If you want to live around white people who speak only English, move to Denver!
I share your assessment of Glendale. Even the bad parts of Glendale aren't that bad compared to a large part of SoCal.

However, you do seem to not be too well informed about Denver which has the same problems as the other cities of the Southwestern USA. You probably meant Boulder

Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
It's good if you're Armenian, I suppose.
Not that long ago Glendale was a nice place, Not any more.
I worked for Glendale schools up to 1980 and by then it got so bad I left.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:30 PM

514 posts, read 1,440,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Well I think I might be able to tell you something about Glendale since I was born and raised in the city.

Glendale started out as a nice bedroom community for Los Angeles. Quiet, clean, safe, and charming. Brand Blvd. resembled the main street of just about any small town in the Midwest. Which makes sense since the city was founded by people from there.

Over the last say 10 or so years, Glendale has most certainly lost it's charm. The city went on building campaign that resulted in high rises that clutter up the skyline, permitted tear downs of single family homes to make way for apartment buildings and condo complexes, and allowed people to build these ridiculous, over scale homes in the hillsides. The result...way too many people concentrated in too small an area.

The traffic on the three main North/South streets (Brand, Central, and Pacific) is horrendous. Many of the side streets aren't much better because people are attempting to use them as shortcuts to bypass the traffic on the main streets. I gave up trying to go to the Galleria years ago. It's a nightmare to try and access and not worth the effort in my opinion.

Crime wise, the biggest thing you have to deal with is property crime (burglary, auto theft, vandalism). Violent crime is much lower than in Los Angeles itself or some other surrounding cities. By the same token, Glendale is still probably one of the most under policed cities around. Not nearly enough police officers for the population that the city has. They do a pretty good job of keeping a lid on things but they are stretched a little thin.

The school system in Glendale itself is marginal. There are some schools that are better than others to be sure, but over all they have declined since I went through them. There are gang problems in the schools, mostly generated by the ongoing conflict between Hispanics and Armenians. It's actually quite amusing in that the Armenian gangs pattern themselves after the Hispanic gangs, right down to the clothes, the shaved heads, and the music they listen too. Put them side by side and you most likely wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

And yes, Glendale has the largest concentration of Armenians outside of Armenia itself. And they make their presence known. From demands that the city recognize Armenian Holocaust as a official holiday, to wanting the Armenian flag to be flown at City Hall, they very much believe that Glendale is their city. It all causes no end of tension with long time residents of the city.

I could go on, but then I'm guessing someone would accuse me of being just another negative poster. As I said, Glendale is the city of my birth, but I don't consider it home anymore. There are certainly still beautiful parts of the city and I would be happy to list them if you like. But overall, Glendale is not a place that I would recommend to anyone at this point.
I second everything here.I gre up in la crescenta, a little town north of glendale.I hate it here now.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Well I think I might be able to tell you something about Glendale since I was born and raised in the city.

Glendale started out as a nice bedroom community for Los Angeles. Quiet, clean, safe, and charming. Brand Blvd. resembled the main street of just about any small town in the Midwest. Which makes sense since the city was founded by people from there.

Over the last say 10 or so years, Glendale has most certainly lost it's charm. The city went on building campaign that resulted in high rises that clutter up the skyline, permitted tear downs of single family homes to make way for apartment buildings and condo complexes, and allowed people to build these ridiculous, over scale homes in the hillsides. The result...way too many people concentrated in too small an area.

The traffic on the three main North/South streets (Brand, Central, and Pacific) is horrendous. Many of the side streets aren't much better because people are attempting to use them as shortcuts to bypass the traffic on the main streets. I gave up trying to go to the Galleria years ago. It's a nightmare to try and access and not worth the effort in my opinion.

Crime wise, the biggest thing you have to deal with is property crime (burglary, auto theft, vandalism). Violent crime is much lower than in Los Angeles itself or some other surrounding cities. By the same token, Glendale is still probably one of the most under policed cities around. Not nearly enough police officers for the population that the city has. They do a pretty good job of keeping a lid on things but they are stretched a little thin.

The school system in Glendale itself is marginal. There are some schools that are better than others to be sure, but over all they have declined since I went through them. There are gang problems in the schools, mostly generated by the ongoing conflict between Hispanics and Armenians. It's actually quite amusing in that the Armenian gangs pattern themselves after the Hispanic gangs, right down to the clothes, the shaved heads, and the music they listen too. Put them side by side and you most likely wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

And yes, Glendale has the largest concentration of Armenians outside of Armenia itself. And they make their presence known. From demands that the city recognize Armenian Holocaust as a official holiday, to wanting the Armenian flag to be flown at City Hall, they very much believe that Glendale is their city. It all causes no end of tension with long time residents of the city.

I could go on, but then I'm guessing someone would accuse me of being just another negative poster. As I said, Glendale is the city of my birth, but I don't consider it home anymore. There are certainly still beautiful parts of the city and I would be happy to list them if you like. But overall, Glendale is not a place that I would recommend to anyone at this point.

There is nothing negative about telling the truth.
My father worked for Glendale ploice and I worked for the Glendale schools. ( G.U.S.D.) Just last year I had to call the school main office and this is a public phone number, and had trouble finding someone that could speak English. Where is this heading to?

Old 01-28-2007, 08:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
I second everything here.I gre up in la crescenta, a little town north of glendale.I hate it here now.
I grew up in La Crescenta, too, and wish I could afford to move back there. I didn't think it had changed that much. Please enlighten me.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 PM

514 posts, read 1,440,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I grew up in La Crescenta, too, and wish I could afford to move back there. I didn't think it had changed that much. Please enlighten me.
The Armenians have taken over.I wouldnt live here anymore.what was once a nice town, isnt anymore.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:16 AM

652 posts, read 2,803,863 times
That's sad. In just a few years there will be no place at all left in CA for regular Americans.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
The Armenians have taken over.I wouldnt live here anymore.what was once a nice town, isnt anymore.
I was born in Glendale and worked in Glendale but grew up in La Crescenta.
Like most of SoCal its going down the toilet. What's going to happen when all the hard working white tax payers move to other states?? We moved out a California last year and so glad to be out of there,,,

Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I was born in Glendale and worked in Glendale but grew up in La Crescenta.
Like most of SoCal its going down the toilet. What's going to happen when all the hard working white tax payers move to other states?? We moved out a California last year and so glad to be out of there,,,
Say what you will about Armenians, they are certainly very hard working people. I've never heard anyone complain about them not being hard working - when anyone gripes about Armenians it usually has to do with their extreme sharpness with money (and their reputation for being tight-fisted when it comes to money). Like all stereotypes this is not true for every single Armenian, but it does seem to be a cultural characteristic.

And if you think Glendale's gone down the toilet, you really haven't seen much of SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles