U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM

1,749 posts, read 5,510,334 times
Default Nice place to live

I lived in Glendale for 2 years. I found it very liveable. I always felt safe thanks to the overzealous Glendale PD. If you don't like Armenians, don't move there. I've never had any problems with them, some are good friends. The Bee Line are little buses that are free that run all day. There's plenty to do on Brand Blvd and thanks to the Armenians who like to stay up late, they don't roll up the sidewalks early. Downside? Neighborhood continuity is spotty due to the razing of old SFR and building ugly condos. North Glendale is gorgeous with amazing homes in exclusive neighborhoods. The further south you go, the rattier it gets. I lived on the "border" of Mexico and Armenia, so to speak on Colorado and Glendale Ave. Aside from my occasionally noisy downstairs neighbors, I enjoyed cheap rent and easy living. If you're looking for the all white experience, go to Toluca Lake and pay more rent. That said, I moved to Old Pasadena not long afterwards and liked it a lot more...my rent also tripled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-08-2007, 04:43 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,510,334 times
Default Good Memories

I lived on Colorado and Glendale Avenue from 1996-1998. I have to say that Glendale is about the easiest place to live out of the many places I've been. I had cheap rent (which you can still find if you look) and could walk to just about everything. I never felt unsafe. I love to hang out and drink coffee and in Glendale (and thanks to the many Armenians who drink tons of coffee and stay up late), you can do this till fairly late every night. Aside from the south side of town it's pretty clean. I never had issues with Armenians and I'm not understanding why people hate them so much. They've been my friends and coworkers, been in my classes and rode the bus with me. Heck, even my barber was Armenian. I didn't have a car for my first year there and felt quite comfortable getting around. The Beeline is free and the Amtrak stops in Glendale if you feel like getting out of town cheaply. I'm also a Glendale College alumni. I always watch what's playing at the Alex...I love that theatre. Living there was a safe, easy time of my life. I waited tables at a restaurant on Brand, went to AA meetings at the Windsor Club and had a cheap apartment with killer views of downtown. What did I not like about it? Spotty neighborhood continuity. Many SFR were razed and ugly condos built in their place. Other than that, I like it. After that I moved to Old Pasadena. I'll have to say I liked it a lot more, it's got more style. I also paid a ton more rent.

Unread 03-14-2007, 01:54 AM

40 posts, read 166,399 times
NOT FOR MUCH LONGER THEY ARE RELOCATING TO PASADENA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Kellogg View Post
Glendale has a great theatre - A Noise Within which presents fantastic classic theatre. It's work is highly praised in the local press and is nationally recognized. Ticket prices are reasonable : $34 - $38. Their website is: www.anoisewithin.org

Unread 03-18-2007, 11:42 PM

11 posts, read 30,237 times
oh god glendale is not that bad and its one of the safest cities in the COUNTRY. its actually a great city and if you dont like armenians than i suggest you dont even live in LA at all because they are everywhere as it is. hollywood, burbank, pasadena. they just happened to be the most concentrated in glendale.

Unread 03-19-2007, 04:08 AM

634 posts, read 1,877,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear63 View Post
its actually a great city and if you dont like armenians than i suggest you dont even live in LA at all because they are everywhere as it is.
That's not correct.

Unread 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM

11,542 posts, read 11,646,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
That's not correct.
You won't find Armenians in South Central or East L.A., but they are practically everywhere else, although not in the same concentration that one will find in Glendale, Pasadena, the San Fernando Valley, Hollywood, etc.

Unread 03-20-2007, 01:23 AM

634 posts, read 1,877,274 times
Yes, I'm sure they are here and there, but not really "everywhere" in the sense that they're on every single block of every single neighborhood.

Unread 04-30-2007, 02:15 PM

468 posts, read 1,835,499 times
I'm going to be living in Glendale this summer, working on a program for kids in the area. Are there any fun activities during the weekend for people my age? (early 20's). Art, music, events, etc. Is there a bus into Los Angeles itself? I checked and there doesn't seem to be a subway line that far out into Glendale.

Unread 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM

69 posts, read 309,907 times
I would like to know more about Glendale as well. I heard that there is a large arab population there and there are sometimes conflicts between them and latinos. Is this very prevalent? I'm looking into this area to possibly move to and from the city data stats it looks like it would be a nice place to live.

Unread 05-13-2007, 04:02 PM

468 posts, read 1,835,499 times
I know there's lots of Armenians in Glendale, don't know about Arabs. Any natives want to weigh in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles