U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 PM

3,851 posts, read 7,711,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieinLancaster View Post
I bought a home in Lancaster, July of 2010. Nice neighborhood, etc. UNTIL...the owner of the neighboring house rented to Section 8. It's been said that he rented to an elderly woman with grandchildren. She doesn't even live there and a family (or two) live there. To top it off, they have teenagers that play their music so loud, you can feel the bass bumping all the way across the street, not to say I can't even enjoy my family room without hearing every beat of their music. I'm tempted to call the hotline, but don't have any proof that they're frauding Section 8.

Yes, call. You do not need proof. You only need to state the allegations of the violations being committed. That is all. Tell the hotline what time they will be able to witness the violations.

I got scum moved off my street in SFV(out to Palmdale ironically) because every Thursday and Friday afternoon through Sunday, the daughters boyfriend and his gangbanger friends would sell drugs out of the house. So I called housing on a Thursday afternoon and told them that if they came out on Friday afternoon, they would witness 10 cars parked on the driveway and front lawn and also 15-20 people living in the house. A housing inspector came out Friday at around 230pm, saw 5 cars on the front lawn, walked up to the front door, saw around 25 people inside, wrote up a violation, and the next week the people moved out to Palmdale.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 PM

221 posts, read 301,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfam4 View Post
In the largest operation of its kind so far in Los Angeles County, housing investigators and sheriff's deputies hit the streets of Palmdale on Wednesday and made 10 arrests at Section 8 houses - seven for perjury and grand theft, three on other charges.

This is good news for everyone - except those arrested, of course.
Section 8 is a program under which tenants pay a portion of their rent, typically about 30%, and the federal government pays the rest to the landlord. Locally, the program is administered by L.A. County.
Valley Press readers will recall that during the last couple of years the county - at the impetus of Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, along with Lancaster and Palmdale - has cracked down on those who cheat the system.
Tenants sign their applications under penalty of perjury, promising that they will not allow unauthorized persons (such as parolees or probationers, or a dozen or so of their closest friends) to live in the home. They also attest that they have no criminal record and no unreported income.
Despite these promises, many tenants have been discovered to be harboring unauthorized individuals. A surprising number of Section 8 beneficiaries neglect to mention that they have jobs and a decent income, which would make them ineligible for the program. Others fail to mention child-support income or other government benefits.
Individuals who cheat the system are not only ripping off the taxpayer, they are depriving a deserving disabled or elderly person a place in the program.
When compliance checks began, cheats lost their housing subsidies but faced no criminal charges. But beginning in January, the county upped the ante and decided to pursue felony charges of perjury for those who lie on their applications.
If Section 8 deadbeats have income they neglect to mention, they can be charged with felony perjury. And - since that lie led to them receiving money they otherwise would not have been eligible to receive - they are charged with grand theft as well.
We commend the authorities and offer a further suggestion: Word is getting out that the Antelope Valley is not the place to come if you want to cheat the Section 8 system. It's getting around by word of mouth and through the media. But just in case not all Section 8 tenants have gotten the word, we suggest letters be sent to all tenants explaining the new policy, reminding them that they signed their application under penalty of perjury and, in effect, that the county is not messing around with this stuff anymore.
It's serious. You can call the Section 8 fraud hot line at (877) 881-7233.
As a Section 8 tenant, a good one, this action is exactly what ALL Section 8 agencies need to be doing across the country, both city/county and state Section 8 agencies.Any tenant who is receiving cars, jewelry, expensive "gifts" also should be a BIG red flag. I'm Section 8, I have no car, my furniture is obviously second hand, most of my clothing is from Goodwill, the only one in my family who wears Ralph Lauren once in a while is my 5-year old niece and that usually comes from eBay, used.I am transparent and honest, and I have both a physical & mental disability. In Honolulu, where I live, most of the people I know on Section 8 live as modestly as I do. A sign of fleecing the system is jewelry or expensive vehicles. Every year, when my voucher is renewed, it even asks about value of property. That needs to be cracked down on, too.

I applaud LA County!!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalleyjim View Post
Just drug test welfare recipients and Section 8 renter's before they receive benefits.

Then random test them later.

this would get rid of 95% of these people.
That would only work if you random test and only give the testee not more than one hour to get to a lab and then have someone go into toilet w/ him/her. I'm Section 8, and I don't use drugs (incl. MJ), or smoke, or drink alcoholic beverages, but I have heard a few people that are friends of my Section 8 neighbor talk. Problem is that once someone from lab goes into toilet w/ testee, that testee, if dishonest, can yell abuse or molestation. Besides, if that applied to all renters, Section 8 or not, 95% wouldn't pass either.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieinLancaster View Post
I bought a home in Lancaster, July of 2010. Nice neighborhood, etc. UNTIL...the owner of the neighboring house rented to Section 8. It's been said that he rented to an elderly woman with grandchildren. She doesn't even live there and a family (or two) live there. To top it off, they have teenagers that play their music so loud, you can feel the bass bumping all the way across the street, not to say I can't even enjoy my family room without hearing every beat of their music. I'm tempted to call the hotline, but don't have any proof that they're frauding Section 8.
I would definitely call fraud hotline. If unit was rented to only grandmother and her # of grandchildren (I'm assuming she is legal guardian of these children), but you routinely see a lot of other people there all the time, she is allowing unauthorized people to live there.The little old lady may con the investigator, but Section 8 will file a report. Section 8 wants to stop the abuse, believe me.

You might also alert the landlord. (S)he will put pressure on tenant to get her act together, if forth his/her salt.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM

255 posts, read 649,737 times
Its not 98%.
I grew up on section 8 and my mom did not abuse the system, I also had friends who had working moms and dads who needed extra help. Not everyone gets the same breaks and life happens..
Its sad when some abuse the system or are into drugs, but its more like 50/50. Not 98%

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
More like 99.9 %

And if found to be selling drugs ( 98% ) Section 8 would no longer exist.
Ridiculous!! I'm Section 8 tenant, and I bet my lifestyle is much healthier than yours. I've NEVER done drugs, and only did MJ once or twice as a teen, don't drink alcohol or smoke or eat deep fat fried food, usually more like raw fish (sashima, sushi) and vegetables and brown rice/ whole wheat noodles. In the house I live, all are Section 8 and NONE use drugs, one drinks, too much in my opinion, but no drugs unless it's very hush hush. I'm too occupied with my own life to be spying on the neighbors the way people like you seem to.

God, you sound like the Southern cracker that fathered my beautiful, little niece. I had a fit when he gave her sugared iced tea and sugared water at only 6 months of age, and he went on about my being on Section 8, too, as he slinked off into the bushes to smoke a joint.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 AM

6,106 posts, read 14,290,829 times
The reality is that the majority of Section 8 participants in L.A. County are the gang-banging, car-stealing, drug-dealing, party 'til 3:00 a.m. every night, kinds of people. They've learned how to work the system. One of the first questions I asked when I was looking for a new apartment is if that complex rented to Section 8. It seems that rent control and Section 8 go hand in hand, probably because the obnoxious Section 8 people keep the turnover high in the rest of the building, as decent, hard-working tenants don't like having their sleep disrupted constantly by the loud arguments, cars stopping by at all hours of the day and night, etc.

Not all Section 8 people are bad, but the ones who are ruin it for everyone else. I'm glad there is some recourse when things get very bad. Palmdale and Lancaster definitely have had their problems in this area.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 AM

471 posts, read 575,350 times
They also need to crack down on housing authority--that takes bribes all the time, at least in Los Angeles. Tenants are only a part of the problem, get to officials that take bribes--about 5K gets you moved ahead there. Not just section 8, all kinds of subsidized housing in LA are full of corruption. The people who rent out their Section 8 properties--who else do you think pockets from that?
I'm sick of these people who come to the US and start milking the system and brag how they bribed someone and live in a nice apartment while people who were born here have to be homeless.

Last edited by xani; 01-26-2011 at 01:08 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfam4
Individuals who cheat the system are not only ripping off the taxpayer, they are depriving a deserving disabled or elderly person a place in the program.
When compliance checks began, cheats lost their housing subsidies but faced no criminal charges. But beginning in January, the county upped the ante and decided to pursue felony charges of perjury for those who lie on their applications.
I would like to second ovcatto's rating on your message here, there is always a proper way of saying things without being too blatant. Applicants abusing the section 8 is indeed a problem that will not stop unless we take some action against it. Good to know that those people who really qualify for the assistance also seems to raise their voice against these fraudsters.

A little word of caution though, as I've learned that there's also some HUD fraud alert. According to one Bankrate.com reader, a $1,000 cash deposit on a Housing and Urban Development home might be at stake due to possible HUD fraud. This economic situation sure is very disheartening for those people who genuinely needs help from the government, because of the abusive and self-centered authorities and residents.

More powers to all!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
This is a great place to vent frustrations. We have lived in our neighborhood 27 years and have seen a lot of changes. The house across the street in Section 8, we know the Landlord. The tenants have been there 1 year, a mother, daughter and son. Suddenly about 6 weeks ago 6-8 extra people moved in with 2 extra cars...and may I add, a pitbull. I told the Landlord, he came by and said they had to leave. So far...they are still there, getting louder and bolder. We worked hard to pay off our home and are now retired. What are our options? Is a landlord committing fraud if they allow this just to collect guaranteed rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles