U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM

11 posts, read 49,335 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone -

I'm a young guy living in southern Maine at the moment who graduated from high school about a year ago. I have not yet attended college but plan to within the next year or so. After much consideration on where I think I would like to go, I have decided on Santa Monica College. After researching the school, the area, the programs, etc, etc, I think it would be a perfect fit for me all around (I want to major in journalism/communications, I'd like to start off somewhere affordable, I'd like to start off at a community college and eventually transfer to a bigger school, I really like SoCal, etc.) After all my researching, it seems like it would be a perfect fit - all except for one thing... housing. I currently have my own apartment in Portland, ME and my parents live close by and are going to help me move out there when the time comes and also help me financially a little bit, but SMC doesnt have dorms and there's no way in hell I could afford an apartment in that area even if I'm working a decent amount while in school. I know I could get roomates, etc, etc, but is there any way to get some type of deal on student housing, specifically for SMC? I'm really just looking for any suggestions anyone may have - all opinions are welcome, because I've researched very hard and haven't been able to come up with much unfortuantley... help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:41 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,672,110 times
Unfortunately most community colleges don't offer student housing. Your only option if you can't afford your own apartment is to find a roommate situation.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 PM

51 posts, read 202,800 times
While SMC doesn't offer student housing, you do have other options available. In Westwood, there's a student co-op that houses UCLA/SMC/local college students for a discounted price, including meals. You pitch in a few hours a week, cleaning and cooking, so it's more of a community than regular dorm. My friends (both UCLA and SMC) have lived there and while it's not the most private or luxurious, it does the trick. If you don't have a car, there is the public bus (Big Blue Bus) that takes you
to SMC.

Another option would be Craigslist. Out of all the California community colleges, SMC is the most similar to a university. In fact, it's commonly known as UC Santa Monica or Harvard by the Sea, so there's more out-of-area students (including lots of internationals) that come to the area just to go to SMC, so you definitely won't be alone. Check craigslist around the Sawtelle and Palms areas for a little cheaper than Santa Monica. How much are you looking to spend? I've seen studios in West LA for around $1,000, if you can afford it. However, since you'll be new to the area, I suggest roommates, at least for the first year so you can meet more people. West LA is a great area for a young person- you'll have a great time!

Another thing, you probably know this from your research, but out-of-state tuition costs an arm and a leg, at least until you gain residency, so just be prepared for that. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 37,487 times
You are not alone! I'm 17 and planning to move to SM next year ang go there too. Sant a Monica is suchhh a cool city, with the promenade and pier and whole vibe. But yeah, I'm doing craigslist roomates, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles