Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM

71 posts, read 483,093 times

Advertisements

Are crime really going down in L.A or is there fewer reported incidents? I really don't buy the idea of L.A genitification. I mean there are many factors beside crime acutally going down that can contribute to lower statistic of crime rate. Police not enforcing law as tough as before, fewer people are willing to report crime, maniupulated crime statistic rate...etc. For those who live in L.A. long enough, do you think crime are really going down? Do you see the changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,294 times
The short answer is, who the hell knows? I'm going to guess though.

I don't buy the idea of LA gentrification either. LA has plenty of cheap pockets that criminals can afford. This isn't Manhattan. I doubt the stats are fiddled: the FBI exerts a pretty heavy hand over that sort of thing these days and the LAPD is under a consent decree that makes it even harder. I doubt the proportion of crimes that get reported are down, either. Almost everyone can afford a cellphone, and (fun fact) the number of illegal immigrants in LA is falling. Illegal immigrants often don't report crimes because they don't want to draw attention to themselves.

So crime is probably down. Whether it stays that way over the next year, given the foreclosure mess and rising unemployment, is another matter entirely.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Philadelphia said the same thing 5-6 years ago. It turned out that the Philly police didn't report a lot of the incidents! Now they have the nickname Kill-adelphia!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM

355 posts, read 1,478,961 times
Hmmm, well, let's see. There's that sheriff's deputy who was gunned down a couple of days ago up in Cypress Park, which has now definitely become the city hot spot for trouble along with its neighbors Glassell and Highland Parks.

And another high school football player was murdered in North Hollywood. All the claims of violent crime being down, dropping substantially, well I don't know. These politicians could be fudging with the numbers, I wouldn't put it past them.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
The short answer is, who the hell knows? I'm going to guess though.

I don't buy the idea of LA gentrification either. LA has plenty of cheap pockets that criminals can afford.
Fewer and fewer all the time. Where are you living if you don't buy the idea of LA gentrification? It's very real.

IMO crime genuinely is down in L.A., but due to high rents, gentrification, policing practices, etc. IMO crime is moving. It's getting more suburban and exurban. Gas prices have made suburban style living far less desirable. It's easy to see not only places that are already ghettoish like the AV but places which aren't that ghettoish right now, like Santa Clarita, becoming areas of concentrated poverty and crime.

Last edited by majoun; 08-05-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
For those who live in the protected Westside, I can see where they think crime is lower. Oh, wait. A woman was stabbed to death last week in Century City. So much for that theory. Since the developers are trying to gentrify LA, of course crime stats are down. How on God's Green Earth will they convince people to pay the ridiculous prices they want for housing here?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
For those who live in the protected Westside, I can see where they think crime is lower. Oh, wait. A woman was stabbed to death last week in Century City. So much for that theory.
Not a random killing, and the cops have already ruled out robbery as a motive for Pam Fayed's death. That appears to be a murder for hire stemming from the nasty divorce she was going through and from some rather funny "business" activities that she and her estranged husband were involved in. If I were LAPD I'd consider her husband to be a person of interest. Apparently he's already being sought after by the FBI due to his "business" activities.

Crimes motivated by domestic violence, organized crime hits (not street gang violence), etc. can and does happen ANYWHERE. And yes, that includes Arkansas. When people worry about crime in L.A., it's not that sort of crime that they're talking about.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

A crime is a crime regardless of the media downplay. I suppose we should ignore the cars that get broken into in Santa Monica and Venice beaches on a regular basis. Or the break-ins of businesses. In affluent areas crime miraculously stays low and when the city wants to "gentrify" it dissappears.

Btw, who said I thought there was no crime in Ark? Especially DV? Where do you think country songs come from?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,212 times
I know there are some pretty tough neighborhoods in LA but this has to be good news. The murder rate is the lowest its been since 1970 and the mayor says overall crime rate is at historic low I dont know if its true or not but its good to hear.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Tony the Pony. The man who spent half of his administration travelling the world promoting himself. Great Source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles