Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 PM

36 posts, read 360,589 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere left in existence, within 90 minutes of L.A., where I can build a dome home (or buy a pre-existing free standing home) under $99k??? Wanting at least one acre. If there is a house on the land already I know it would cost more.

If not then where is the closest location for this kind of deal? I'm leaving
the high desert of NM ( i just have to get out ) and am praying I can easily afford to at least get into a place with money from the sale of my current home.

I realized I may be laughed out of the forums for asking this but really, as long as the place is clean and safe and has reasonable access to L.A., time wise, I'll keep an open mind. Even on the price. Trees would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:05 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post

Is there anywhere left in existence, within 90 minutes of L.A., where I can build a dome home (or buy a pre-existing free standing home) under $99k??? Wanting at least one acre. If there is a house on the land already I know it would cost more.

If not then where is the closest location for this kind of deal? I'm leaving
the high desert of NM ( i just have to get out ) and am praying I can easily afford to at least get into a place with money from the sale of my current home.

I realized I may be laughed out of the forums for asking this but really, as long as the place is clean and safe and has reasonable access to L.A., time wise, I'll keep an open mind. Even on the price. Trees would be nice.
There are many places in the 90-120 minute range.. They will be in the desert. Places like Antelope Valley and High Desert. If there's trees-there will be probably one and it will be fake(planted). ..lol

check this website out... http://www.vacantlanddeals.com/landforsale.htm (broken link)
($28,000-35,000)

Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Ive seen land 60-90 min from LA. Youll have to build a house though but perhaps some neighboors allow mobile homes, that route would be cheap. Lots of people commute all the way to LA from there as they cant afford LA. Not all lots look to be desert to me, some have lots of pretty trees

Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 AM

Thanks Need_affordable_home & newportbeachsmostwanted~

I'm just going to check the affordable land deals site and Need_affordable_home (or anyone), what are some of those towns or areas that have trees?

I'm a little more hopeful now...

In Gratitude,

Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 AM

You are most welcome! Try searching an hour east of LA, I saw some deals in that area. It looked nice in the pictures. I dont know whats the requirements, maybe you need to install a septic tank or something?

Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
High Desert:Victorville, Apple Valley, Lucerne Valley. North-Near Bakersfield, Possibly Lancaster or Palmdale, Tehachapi. I'm sorry guy, you'll have a very difficult time finding one acre in Los Angeles County for under 99K. But, fortunately for you if you're 90 minutes away, you could find a spot. This is 90 minutes without traffic. It would have been better if this question was asked ten years ago, because you would have had more opportunities in Riverside and San Bernardino County, but homes have skyrocketed. Go to NewportBeach'sWebsite though, he's a reliable source, and check out my cities above. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!

Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 PM

Thanks,

I appreciate all of you writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
High Desert:Victorville, Apple Valley, Lucerne Valley. North-Near Bakersfield, Possibly Lancaster or Palmdale, Tehachapi. I'm sorry guy, you'll have a very difficult time finding one acre in Los Angeles County for under 99K. But, fortunately for you if you're 90 minutes away, you could find a spot. This is 90 minutes without traffic. It would have been better if this question was asked ten years ago, because you would have had more opportunities in Riverside and San Bernardino County, but homes have skyrocketed. Go to NewportBeach'sWebsite though, he's a reliable source, and check out my cities above. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!
Alas! I am a grrrlllll. But that's okay, lol! I guess I tend to pick "manly" handles 'cuz it has happened before. Must! work on that

I thought Bakersfield was 2 hours or more away from L.A. In any case, I will look into these towns. And see which places seem the most "homey." This helps a lot.

Thanks again

Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
Your welcome, Ms.! Sorry bout that! You are a very ambitious female to want to build a home. You can to Downtown L.A. from Bakersfield probably in an hour and thirty minutes, if you're going 70-75, with no traffic. Where do you currently live?!

Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 PM

Hello, you can still get a vacent lot in San Bernardino County for well under $100k, if I remember theres a good choice of affordable lots there. Its an hour east of LA

Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Your welcome, Ms.! Sorry bout that! You are a very ambitious female to want to build a home. You can to Downtown L.A. from Bakersfield probably in an hour and thirty minutes, if you're going 70-75, with no traffic. Where do you currently live?!
lol! That's quite alright!

Well, it's a different world in the southwest high desert. Not most, but many women out this way build homes, etc. I even ran into a woman here I used to know in Seattle (!) who built her own house and teaches welding and welding art. But me? No! I'm not going to do the 'heavy lifting' myself but am just starting to research who builds dome homes and for how much. Really, it's my first choice for a next home. Many of the manufacturers of the shells will put the units together but the are not offering to finish the interior. So more to do on that. Found some good over all resources, though.

Currently? I'm in northern NM. If you want to read a synopsis of my experience (and wisdom gained!) here's a post:

Taos, New Mexico-Resident Leaving: Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles