U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:51 AM

2 posts, read 16,628 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am graduating from college in June and have been offered a job with a company which has offices in several cities. One of my options is to move to LA to work at the company's Santa Fe Springs office. I have been attending college on the south side of Chicago for the past four years, so I have dealt with high crime rates and urban decay. I am hoping for a change of scenery after living in the midwest and would especially like to relocate somewhere warmer. Can anyone tell me what the Santa Fe Springs area is like and if there are any safety concerns? While I am used to living in a high crime area, I would really like to be able to move somewhere a little safer than south Chicago. Are there any nicer surrounding areas with affordable rents, attractions, and reasonable commute times (30-45 minutes)? I am just trying to make a more informed decision before committing myself to a position in the Los Angeles area. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 AM

2,072 posts, read 8,357,283 times
Default Santa Fe Springs

Santa Fe Springs is not a very nice place to live. There are several nice areas in the commute time you are looking at. Downey & Whittier have some nice areas. I'd personally look into Hacienda Heights, La Habra, Brea, La Mirada and Fullerton. Good luck!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM

1,700 posts, read 4,464,547 times
I agree with Paula Lynn about those areas and to be cautious of Santa Fe Springs. If you want warmer weather, Los Angeles County is for you, winter averages are low 40's to high 60's.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 AM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
SF springs is not that bad. the further you get from downtown la the quieter it gets. take a visit to la first. visit SFS, pico rivera, montebello. if it is too dodgy for you try, whittier or downey, but fullerton or hacienda would be kind of far. check it out and decide for yourself. it seems most people here dont know what they are talking about. best thing to do is see it with your own eyes.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM

2,072 posts, read 8,357,283 times
Default Sfs

Fullerton is not that far of a distance from SFS - Hacienda Heights is just up the hill on Colima Road - which begins at Whittier. I know the area well.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 PM

37 posts, read 226,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
SF springs is not that bad. the further you get from downtown la the quieter it gets. take a visit to la first. visit SFS, pico rivera, montebello. if it is too dodgy for you try, whittier or downey, but fullerton or hacienda would be kind of far. check it out and decide for yourself. it seems most people here dont know what they are talking about. best thing to do is see it with your own eyes.
[mod cut; personal attack] I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to visit Pico Rivera or even some parts of Montebello. Pico Rivera has some of the most psychotic and troublesome gangs in the entire contigious Los Angeles County. What are you trying to do, get someone killed. You need to do more research. That area has been for years one of the worst areas in LA. [mod cut] I wouldn't go in that area unless I had a gun(s).

Last edited by SandyCo; 01-31-2007 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 PM

22 posts, read 221,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktales View Post
[mod cut; personal attack] I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to visit Pico Rivera or even some parts of Montebello. Pico Rivera has some of the most psychotic and troublesome gangs in the entire contigious Los Angeles County. What are you trying to do, get someone killed. You need to do more research. That area has been for years one of the worst areas in LA. [mod cut] I wouldn't go in that area unless I had a gun(s).
hahaha I lived in pico rivera for about 15 years, im 21, I went to high school there, and I never felt threatened, I would be able to walk home alone, and feel fine. people are so dramatic. Pico Rivera, does not compare to compton, long beach, watts. etc. if you grew up in south chicago, santa fe springs, is nice. you can find some nice homes, but of course whittier, la mirada is a lot nicer, and also not far at all from where you will be working.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 47,765 times
Santa Fe Springs is not a place you might want to live...La Mirada-where I live is very nice. Awesome community. La Habra is great...Fullerton is also nice, just be aware of the neighborhoods.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 16,628 times
Thanks for the replies. I have looked into a lot of the surrounding cities mentioned. Some places look like they would be alright (especially La Habra Heights and parts of Whittier). One more question... I see that Anaheim is only about 14 miles from Santa Fe Springs. I know that this looks close on the map, but having never visited L.A. before, could someone please tell me how long the commute maight be? Any opinions about OC and Anaheim? I was also wondering about Long Beach to SFS commute time and/or any other beach areas in LA county. Is this too far a stretch? The company that hired me has its headquarters here in the Chicago area. Once I graduate in June and if I stay in downtown Chicago I would be facing a 45 min. - 1 hr. commute daily, so I'm wondering if LA would be comparable. I'm really looking for warmer weather and a change of scenery. Thanks again in advance for your replies.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,946,668 times
Default eew

Downey and parts of Norwalk are ok. SFS is scary. Gangs have been known to make new businesses pay "protection".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles