Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving out to LA from Florida at the end of this year. I will have to look for a job and a place to live when I get out there and most likely I will have to have the job before I can get a place to live. My plan is to prob spend a couple of weeks with my Grandmother in Palm Desert while I find a job and a place. I am an aspiring filmmaker so I plan on working for free at first. I most likely plan on going to college at UCSC for my BA in film, but still not sure. I plan on paying $650 at the very most for rent because I really cant afford anything higher. I'm 25 year old female, so I would like to live in a safe place. I will be bringing my suv with me as well and plan on just packing what I fit in my car. Everything else is staying. It would be nice to live by myself, but I don't think I'll find a decent place unless I get a roomate.

Is the end of the year a good time to move?

What areas in Los Angeles do you recommend that are around that price range?

Also any advice for someone getting in the biz of films would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

66 posts, read 148,999 times
It really depends on what you want to do. Directing or writing.

There are two main ways to break in: Make friends with people who are in and schmooze your butt off, or do the assistant route -- interning, PAing, and then being a full-fledged assistant at an agency, show, prod co, studio, or network. Assistants are always in great position to move upward if they work hard and have no life outside of the industry.

If you want to write, write three or four really good sample scripts and try to get them read by people also in the biz. This could get you an in to a manager, or possibly an agent (though you'll want a manager if you're more concerned with making money to live, rather than negotiating that big deal).

If you want to direct, make short films and go the Internet route. Also, for both tracks, apply to as many film festivals and diversity outreach programs as possible. In the creative fields in Hollywood, women count as diversity, so you have a leg up on other people trying to break in.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM

179 posts, read 198,486 times
You will NOT get 650/month unless you live in a really bad place!

Get ready for colder weather too, compared to florida.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks I have made a couple shorts and am actually working on a feature film right now on losing someone to drugs. I look forward to doing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
You will NOT get 650/month unless you live in a really bad place!

Get ready for colder weather too, compared to florida.
I actually lived up in Santa Cruz when I was younger and it got fairly cold up there. Sure as hell beats the hot humid weather!

Even if I got a roommate?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM

66 posts, read 148,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy82 View Post

Even if I got a roommate?
You're gonna need at least $800-900/month. Even with a roommate. I was paying $830 for half a 2/2 in Atwater Village. It's jumping to $1800 this October. You might still be able to do a 2/1 for 1500 in older buildings in Burbank or Glendale. I'd avoid the Valley, except for Toluca Lake, Studio City, Encino, or Sherman Oaks.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

640 posts, read 3,069,567 times
check out roommates.com. I've seen all different price ranges for apartment roommates. Not sure if I've seen as low as $650 but you might find something a little higher. It all depends on the posters apartment (2 vs. 3 bedrooms) and other variables.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 PM

Ok thanks! I appreciate the input

Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,619,422 times
you are moving to LA, with plans to attend UCSC, although you know it is in santa cruz? i'm confused.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
you are moving to LA, with plans to attend UCSC, although you know it is in santa cruz? i'm confused.
Yes, because I'm still not sure if I will be going. LA will give me more hands on to help out and if I can move up without going to college then I will. I will have a year to decide.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 PM

39 posts, read 84,112 times
Life at UCSC and Los Angeles are completely different. Also UCSC will be ridiculously expensive if you are an out of state person. Ask yourself do you like the city? or would you like to escape to a nice beach community w/hippies (I know I'm generalizing). Consider moving to Burbank (the media capital of the world) interning at a large movie studio and going to a local community college. Life in the film industry is Hard! Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles