U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 AM

330 posts, read 1,170,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Yeah, the 90001 needs some serious help.

(Edit: how did my comment jump ahead of the post I was replying too? Strange.)
I accidentally posted twice. Then, I deleted the first one so there wouldn't be 2.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 09-09-2008 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 AM

470 posts, read 1,655,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Osborne View Post
You can buy houses just like them in Santa Monica for $ 1,000,000.
Give or take a little.
I saw that on TV. A <1000sf house, bare bones, on the Venice Canal was appraised for >$900k! Here in N. Texas you can buy a brand new 4,000sf custom home on a large lot with pool and 3 car garage + all amenities! What a difference!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:35 PM

488 posts, read 1,303,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
I saw that on TV. A <1000sf house, bare bones, on the Venice Canal was appraised for >$900k! Here in N. Texas you can buy a brand new 4,000sf custom home on a large lot with pool and 3 car garage + all amenities! What a difference!
Isn't that some kind of Federal adjustment for having to live in N. Texas?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,348,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
It is a cute little house. But look where it is. Most houses in that area and surrounding cities have bars on the windows. I might get shot just for being blonde.
Then I'd get shot right along with you.

I have to admit that house is very nicely kept up for that area. Where I'm at, with those crime stats, it's burnt out/boarded up buildings and very few nice looking homes. Unless a rehabber/flipper purchased it.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:11 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,348,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
Isn't that some kind of Federal adjustment for having to live in N. Texas?
I think it would be more of a weather adjustment.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,908,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
Same in TN. Suburbs of Memphis are about like that. It would probably come with at least an acre

Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,871 times
It's worth looking at the LA PD crime maps before you make judgments about neighborhoods. Do some research. Some neighborhoods that have historically been problem areas are changing. Hyde Park, which is a part of South Central, has some beautiful blocks and low crime areas. Not all of South Central is bad. I say this because I have friends who live in those areas. Also, I just bought a house in Boyle Heights for under $200k and my little neighborhood is pretty low drama. It's not a swanky area, like South Pasadena (where shacks go for at least $400k and where I currently live) but it's affordable and BH, like other areas, are on their way up. This is a good time to consider the marginal areas. When I first moved to LA in 1991, there were parts of Pasadena and parts of Highland Park/Mount Washington that were considered bad and crime-ridden. A few brave souls bought into those areas and now you can't get anything less than $350k; they are considered nice areas now.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 PM

291 posts, read 353,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katymurta View Post
It's worth looking at the LA PD crime maps before you make judgments about neighborhoods. Do some research. Some neighborhoods that have historically been problem areas are changing. Hyde Park, which is a part of South Central, has some beautiful blocks and low crime areas. Not all of South Central is bad. I say this because I have friends who live in those areas. Also, I just bought a house in Boyle Heights for under $200k and my little neighborhood is pretty low drama. It's not a swanky area, like South Pasadena (where shacks go for at least $400k and where I currently live) but it's affordable and BH, like other areas, are on their way up. This is a good time to consider the marginal areas. When I first moved to LA in 1991, there were parts of Pasadena and parts of Highland Park/Mount Washington that were considered bad and crime-ridden. A few brave souls bought into those areas and now you can't get anything less than $350k; they are considered nice areas now.
Most of southren ca los angeles and san fernado are made up of pockets of good , and pockets of bad.typically the bad pockets are heavy ethnic and heavy reo,
short sale and foreclosure areas.this is due in some part is the crazy loans that were given to people whom couldnt afford them.

Funny thing is when a nice area home is on the market it will not be a give away price sure you are seeing deep discounts but nothing like in the crappy areas, another thing is the schools to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles