U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,841,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedrodoglover View Post
San Pedro. With a 1.2 Billion Dollar Face lift the waterfront is getting , invest there. Most coastal communities in Southern California are not even remotely affordable anymore.
I agree that San Pedro is going to be very interesting watch over the next decade. Culver City is another one with the Fox Hills renovation and Expo Line coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:05 PM

805 posts, read 2,123,271 times
A lot of places in LA are on the uprise, here's a list.

1. Downtown
2. San Pedro
3. Hollywood
4. Hermosa Beach
5. Boyle Heights
6. East LA
7. Culver city
8. North Hollywood
9. Crenshaw
10. Koreatown
11. Montery park

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,534,384 times
I heard that the neighborhood Echo Park gentrified intensely in the past decade. It used to be the barrio and gang land. Haven't seen it with my own eyes, just heard about it.

I think the areas east of Los Angeles, the San Gabriel Valley will continue to blow up after we get out of this recession. Especially the areas around Monterey Park, San Gabriel. Reason: lots of Asian immigrants who drive up the prices there plus proximity to LA city and jobs. My fiance used to own a home in Rosemead and his home price doubled in a matter of 5 years. That was pre-housing-crisis. But from what I see, homes there haven't dropped all that much. It also makes demographic sense. Asians are the largest ethnic group on the planet: China, India, etc. They also have an emerging economy, but many also want to leave Asia and buy another home in the US or move altogether. Many of them find the SGV desirable because they have family there and it has a huge Asian community while offering a good quality of life for them. If they are in the import/export business, they will love it there because of its proximity to warehouses, the port of Long Beach, and access to business clients. Point of all this is that focusing on where wealthy Asians are starting to buy is, I think, a good strategy. There is also the strategy of buying where all the gays are going. For this read Richard Florida's book "Creative Class".

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 31,832 times
HI;

Sherman Oaks, Studio City and the NOHO Arts District.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,413,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
Is their really any place in Los Angeles that is up and coming and getting better and not worse. Los Angeles & SoCal is on a down hill trend and has been for years.
Nice try

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Eagle Rock and Echo Park should be included. Hipsters priced out of Silver Lake, Los Feliz and K-Town are looking at Echo Park.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Although I am not sure there is much in the L.A area that is really up and coming, if there is I would say:

Eagle Rock
Echo Park
Silver Lake
Los Feliz

These are areas that were at their best 50 or more years ago and are about to burst again. Again, that is if anything does.

Nita

Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM

938 posts, read 3,569,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Eagle Rock and Echo Park should be included. Hipsters priced out of Silver Lake, Los Feliz and K-Town are looking at Echo Park.
Actually, the hipsters are going to Ktown, not getting priced out; them, along with many immigrants, are going there because it's relatively affordable. BTW, the hipsters are going to Highland Park, too.

Anyways, as for up & coming neighborhoods:

Downtown (Old Bank District, South Park, Little Tokyo, etc), Echo Park, EHO (especially Heltrope), Downtown Culver City, Mid-City and Koreatown. I've been in and around EP throughout the course of the past few weeks, working on a gentrification project for school -- here are some of the findings: http://devanwells.blogspot.com/2009/...echo-park.html

I'd say Silverlake, Los Feliz and Venice joined the ranks of (nearly) gentrified, middle/upper-middle class nabes sometime during the last real estate boom.

Leimert, Boyle Heights, Westlake, West Adams, Jefferson Park and Pico-Union all show varying degrees of promise.

Last edited by King0fthehill; 10-26-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM

604 posts, read 1,104,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Although I am not sure there is much in the L.A area that is really up and coming, if there is I would say:

Eagle Rock
Echo Park
Silver Lake
Los Feliz

These are areas that were at their best 50 or more years ago and are about to burst again. Again, that is if anything does.

Nita
Isn't Echo Park pretty rough area? I've been in the process with LAPD and rode around the Rampart area, and it seemed pretty heavy with gangs... I could be wrong and be thinking of another area, sorry if I am..

Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,841,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Isn't Echo Park pretty rough area? I've been in the process with LAPD and rode around the Rampart area, and it seemed pretty heavy with gangs... I could be wrong and be thinking of another area, sorry if I am..
I think you may be talking about Westlake, which is south of the 101. Very little of Rampart extends into Echo Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles