U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 87,713 times

Advertisements

The harbor cities. San Pedro and southern area of Long Beach, downtown, the beach neighborhoods.

Last places in SoCal where living by the beach is some what affordable. Lots of yuppies and hipsters moving to coastal Long Beach (North LB 91/405 is not good). San Pedro is about to get a $1.2 billion face lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,297,292 times
Bell Gardens

Vernon

City of Commerce

Cudahy

Maywood

Walnut Park

(nowhere else to go)

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,842,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detractor View Post
Long Beach (North LB 91/405 is not good).
Bixby Knolls and California Heights not good? They're both between the 91 and 405 and are supposed to be excellent communities.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM

916 posts, read 3,187,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Bixby Knolls and California Heights not good? They're both between the 91 and 405 and are supposed to be excellent communities.
They both are very nice but are not generally considered North Long Beach. North LB is cut by the 91 more than the 405.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:59 PM

26 posts, read 66,451 times
Default ...and what to avoid?

If I may ask slightly differently: Which areas in LA should we avoid? I'm talking as a homebuyer now, or as an investor who hopes that an area will be "up and coming", meaning I will have a nice place to live, while my investment grows. As an investment, the best starting point should be the least appreciated areas, right? But if I should also live there, or hope that I find tenants that will, it has to have some potential qualities...

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM

938 posts, read 3,570,431 times
Hmm...for the most part, avoid South LA south of King. While there are some good pockets, like Leimert Park and Angeles Vista/View Park/etc, east of Arlington is hardly 'up and coming.' The parts north of King, and close to the ever-expanding USC and the soon-to-open Expo Line have improved a ton, and are only getting better. Places like West Adams, Jefferson Park, Echo Park, parts of Koreatown, and Hollywood all all good bets with regards to gentrification. Downtown is going to finish gentrifying as well, but there isn't a whole lot of homes to invest in there. I also see (and in certain circles, hear about plenty of people moving there) Boyle Heights on the upswing, too.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 66,451 times
Default Usc

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Hmm...for the most part, avoid South LA south of King. While there are some good pockets, like Leimert Park and Angeles Vista/View Park/etc, east of Arlington is hardly 'up and coming.' The parts north of King, and close to the ever-expanding USC and the soon-to-open Expo Line have improved a ton, and are only getting better.
It always strikes me as strange that the location of the huge USC campus doesn't give more momentum to changing its surroundings. When can we expect these neighborhoods to become what they should be - a nice university town?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM

42 posts, read 87,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Yes, they are very very nice neighborhoods. I meant to say avoid the 91/710 area, not the 91/405. Although it wouldn't surprise me if there is some nice pockets up there, Long Beach is weird like that. I would say the "Mid-Shore" area is the way to go in LB right now. With the exception of the beautiful Bluff Park Historic District (some million dollar homes), homes in the area between Downtown and Belmont Heights are relatively affordable for being by the beach.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 32,341 times
Interesting article from Trulia...

San Pedro & Long Beach: A Great Investment in Southern California Beach Real Estate

Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
Default Long Beach

Long Beach is California's best kept secret. Its no longer the rundown drug infested dump it became after the Navy pulled out years ago. It is now a clean, thriving city with the best transportation in S. California. The Blue line train will wisk passengers to LA Airport and downtown L.A. Clean affordable busses, the "Passport Bus" is free up and down Pine Ave to all the great night spots and fine dining restaurants and Queen Mary. The wait time for a Taxi is only 10 minutes, try that in L.A. Where else can you buy a nice condo just a 10 minute walk to the beach for around $200K. I was reluctant to look here but my agent insisted and I'm so glad she did. I purchased a wonderful condo in the trendy East Village Art District with breathtaking city views a year ago, and It is the best move I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles