U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,138 times

Advertisements

I am a traveling nurse moving to California in Mid-September. I will be working at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, and living in West Hollywood. I will be working night shift (need to be at work at 7pm), so my ? is- How horrible is the traffic going to be??? Also, any suggestions on how to make the commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:29 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
laurel canyon (crescent heights) N to 101S to 134/210 E. the first leg will be a slow crawl over the hill with all the valley residents going home from work, but this route will enable you to bypass downtown LA traffic. to be safe, give yourself 1 1/4 hrs. until you get a feel for the commute.

can you live in pasadena? it's a nice city, and would be a lot more convenient for you. the traveling nurses i know are lodged in corporate apartments or given very generous housing allowances. if that is your situation, look for something closer to work. there are great places in old town pasadena. even burbank or glendale would ease your commute a great deal.

Last edited by katenik; 08-14-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,112 times
An alternative is to take Santa Monica or Sunset east to the Hollywood Freeway (101), go south towards downtown and take the Pasadena Freeway (110) north towards Pasadena. Get off at Orange Grove or Fair Oaks, go north and your at Huntington Hospital. This is a little more direct but you do get stuck around the four level in downtown (intersection of the 101 and 110). You could actually do this commute on the train. Find out which stations on the Red Line have park and ride and take the subway south to Union Station and the Gold Line to Pasadena. It's not a far walk from Del Mar Station to Huntington. Trains don't run late at night (between 11pm and 4 or 5am) but you'll be at work at that time.

BTW - Huntington is a great hospital. Both my kids were born there and we've had to go a couple of times for emergency room stuff. I've always been very impressed with the place.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,236,060 times
You should be going against traffic at least from West Hollywood to Downtown so the first half of your commute won't be bad. And by the time you need to be at work, most people should be home s oyou'll probably miss most of that traffic, too.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
You should be going against traffic at least from West Hollywood to Downtown so the first half of your commute won't be bad. And by the time you need to be at work, most people should be home s oyou'll probably miss most of that traffic, too.
you're being way too optimisitic about that route, i'm afraid. i used to have weekly appointments in pasadena, and whenever i took the 101S >110N route, it increased my travel time by twenty minutes or more. i wouldn't recommend going to pasadena via downtown at any time between 3 and 7pm. just getting to the freeway from west hollywood can take half an hour at that time of day, and the 101S is a parking lot all the way to the 110N, which is another parking lot until you clear the 5 interchange. then, you're on the arroyo seco portion of the 110, with cars trying to merge from stop signs. big headache-y time-waster all around.

going over the hill via laurel canyon can be a crawl in the early evening, but any lost time will be made up on the 134. traffic slows down between burbank and pasadena at the height of rush hour, but it doesn't stop altogether like on the downtown route, and once you pass the 5, it moves quite well. i've found that this route also works best if i have to be in pasadena in the morning. i took it daily for three months, and usually arrived in 45 minutes or so.

Last edited by katenik; 08-15-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,544,178 times
Yeah, the Laurel Canyon to 134 route is the best. I work in West Hollywood. 7pm traffic is much thinner.

I echo...can you stay anywhere closer like Pasadena?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or