U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 02:26 PM

10 posts, read 32,602 times

Advertisements

Really, how safe is East LA?
Is it true that gangs are on every street corner?(you now what I mean)
If I had to live in East LA, around where should I go?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
Yeah, it's pretty bad. The MS-13 has their...uummm...world headquarters i guess u could call it in East LA.

Why would you want to live in East LA? I guess if you don't have enough money it's okay, but then you should move out of SoCal so you are not in a ghetto. If you do have money, depending on how much, move to nearby areas in the SGV such as Alhambra, San Gabriel, South Pasadena, Glendale, or even Montebello.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
i've been to east LA on occassion and never had any issues, I wouldn't live there though. Something like 97% of population is hispanic, I prefer more diverse neighborhoods. I can't think of anywhere in southern CA that is so homogenous. Even the poshest "white" neighborhoods usually have a decent mix of asians and other races.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
you know nothing about the area, and it shows. MS is west of downtown mostly. there are gangs in the east side(boyle heights and east la) but its not like it used to be. most people can go about their day without a worry.

right now the problems are really in south central. east LA is pretty calm.

there are several areas that you can live in on the east side that will be fine. el sereno for one, has nice areas.

it is not as bad as people think. and with the new gold line being built it will only improve.
try visiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty bad. The MS-13 has their...uummm...world headquarters i guess u could call it in East LA.

Why would you want to live in East LA? I guess if you don't have enough money it's okay, but then you should move out of SoCal so you are not in a ghetto. If you do have money, depending on how much, move to nearby areas in the SGV such as Alhambra, San Gabriel, South Pasadena, Glendale, or even Montebello.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you know nothing about the area, and it shows. MS is west of downtown mostly. there are gangs in the east side(boyle heights and east la) but its not like it used to be. most people can go about their day without a worry.

right now the problems are really in south central. east LA is pretty calm.

there are several areas that you can live in on the east side that will be fine. el sereno for one, has nice areas.

it is not as bad as people think. and with the new gold line being built it will only improve.
try visiting.
I would agree, east LA is not that bad. It's hard to get by if you don't know Spanish but overall a good working class neighborhood. The area actually known as "East LA" is an unincorporated neighborhood of LA County east of the 710 freeway along Whittier and Olympic Boulevards. There has been some talk lately about incorporating into an actual city.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM

yup, the civic center, with the court and the library along 3rd, right next to the sheriffs station would be their city hall most likely. times are a chagning. for the better.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:42 AM

208 posts, read 891,308 times
you would have a hard time living there and fitting in unless you spoke good spanish. lots of spanish-only speakers and most everyone is latino/hispanic.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM

i would disagree

there are plenty of people that have been in east LA for generations. a lot of old timers. many veteranos. and kids. lots of people speak englsih.
the new immigrants, when kept out of the traditional settling areas (like ELA), chose places like huntington park and surrounding areas to settle in. these areas have a higher amount of spanish speaking individuals, but even then white people, and non spanish speaking individuals live in these areas as well. and they do get by. people DO speak english.

a lot of people have misconceptions about the area. its understandable. but the reality is that you can get by in east LA or south central with english only. a friend of mine who works at both a coffee shop in east los and at the library on 3rd says that many many non-latino people live in the area. and not just your regular run of the mill white people. but foreign white people. british, australian, etc. he is suprised at how many he has seen. they feel they are part of the community. my friend being a sort of untrained sociologist (read as nosey) spent a day talking to these individuals who would come for videos and books at the library. asking theire origin and such. he though it was odd. but the other workers told him its normal.

as for the fitting in part, well yes i guess it would be hard. but its also hard for all the (brown)skater and goth kids as well. they survive. people need to realize that as long as you make good neighbors, you can enjoy your neighborhood. make good neighbors and they wont care whether you are black, brown, purple, prince or pauper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
you would have a hard time living there and fitting in unless you spoke good spanish. lots of spanish-only speakers and most everyone is latino/hispanic.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM

208 posts, read 891,308 times
bottom line...i wouldn't want to just "get by" with English-only.

i would want to know i can shop, go to restaurants, and communicate easily etc.. with my neighbors and friends.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,709,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
Really, how safe is East LA?
Is it true that gangs are on every street corner?(you now what I mean)
If I had to live in East LA, around where should I go?
Thanks!
You are in Holmby Hills and "you" might have to live in East L.A.?

Could be you are inquiring on the behalf of your domestic staff. If so, have a heart and give 'em a raise, so they can live in a better part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles