U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM

559 posts, read 1,075,860 times

Advertisements

L.A. has a pretty enviable selection of Asian and Latin American restaurants that natives claim are relatively authentic.

How about for French, Italian, German, British, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Hungarian, Polish, etc.?

By "authentic" I'm not talking about haute cuisine but grub that a native from that country could eat without wrinkling their brow. For instance, we have a lot of Italian-style family restaurants that serve tasty (to Americans) food but Italians and friends who have visited Italy say that they are not authentic (or as tasty).

While I'm asking, how authentic are the Iranian/Persian, Middle Eastern, Indian and Ethiopian restaurants here?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM

1,719 posts, read 6,029,868 times
Count me in for German. I found a place in the valley called 'The Matterhorn', but have not been there yet...hopefully it is good.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM

3,885 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Count me in for German. I found a place in the valley called 'The Matterhorn', but have not been there yet...hopefully it is good.
The Matterhorn is no more.:-( If you want German than you must go to the Red Lion Tavern in Silver Lake or Alpine Village in Torrance.

Los Angeles is not to great for European cuisine. Italian food here is probably the worst of any major city in the nation.

If you like British food there are a few good places such as Ye Olde Kings Head and the Tudor House in Santa Monica.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
There is also a Polish place in Santa Monica. I forget what its called though, maybe Warsawa or something like that. As for the non-Euro cuisines that you mentioned, there is a huge Persian population on the Westside, so there are many, many Persian restaurants to choose from. There is also a neighborhood called Little Ethiopia near the Miracle Mile that I'm sure has authentic Ethiopian food. As for Indian food, it can be found just about anywhere, although I don't really eat it so I don't know how authentic it is.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
There is also a Polish place in Santa Monica. I forget what its called though, maybe Warsawa or something like that. As for the non-Euro cuisines that you mentioned, there is a huge Persian population on the Westside, so there are many, many Persian restaurants to choose from. There is also a neighborhood called Little Ethiopia near the Miracle Mile that I'm sure has authentic Ethiopian food. As for Indian food, it can be found just about anywhere, although I don't really eat it so I don't know how authentic it is.
Persian, Indian, and Ethiopian food will be much more authenic in Los Angeles than Italian being that most Italian restaurants in this town are not Italian owned.

I'm of Italian heritage so when I want "real" Italian I just cook it myself or go to moms house.:-)lol

Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,029,868 times
Dang, I thought I heard of The Matterhorn closing...but kept hopes up when I saw it again online, but their website was down...It's just such a trip to go to Alpine Village...oh well.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,950 times
There is a French Bistro in South Pasadena on the corner of Fremont and El Centro. I'm not a big french food fan but my foody friends say it's good.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Dang, I thought I heard of The Matterhorn closing...but kept hopes up when I saw it again online, but their website was down...It's just such a trip to go to Alpine Village...oh well.
I know what you mean. I love German food and I think its quite sad that its so hard to find in the Los Angeles area.:-(

Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
There is also a Polish place in Santa Monica. I forget what its called though, maybe Warsawa or something like that.
Warszawa Restaurant, Polish Cuisine, Santa Monica, California, Polish food, Best food, Los Angeles, dining

There's also this place in Glendale:

POLKA - Polish Cuisine - Gourmet Cooking

Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM

559 posts, read 1,075,860 times
Quote:
As for the non-Euro cuisines that you mentioned, there is a huge Persian population on the Westside, so there are many, many Persian restaurants to choose from. There is also a neighborhood called Little Ethiopia near the Miracle Mile that I'm sure has authentic Ethiopian food. As for Indian food, it can be found just about anywhere, although I don't really eat it so I don't know how authentic it is.

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I know that there is a sizable number of Iranian/Persian, Middle Eastern, Indian and Ethiopian restaurants and I've sampled at least one of each. Tasted good to me. I was just wondering if they pass muster to people who actually know the cuisine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
There is a French Bistro in South Pasadena on the corner of Fremont and El Centro. I'm not a big french food fan but my foody friends say it's good.
I think it's called, "Bistro K." Never tried it either. A French person I know thought Angelique Cafe in downtown L.A. was just OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There's also this place in Glendale:

POLKA - Polish Cuisine - Gourmet Cooking
I think Huell Howser did a show about this restaurant. It looked good.

So the consensus seems to be that aside from Italian restaurants, there are only a few examples for each European country?

I wonder why there is so little support for European fare here? The John Bull Pub (and British restaurant) in Pasadena shut down several years ago to be replaced by a....chain Mexican restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or