U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:58 AM

92 posts, read 229,085 times

Advertisements

I promise I won't bug you every month until I move (ok..I promise I'll TRY not too) - but I'm SO excited about moving to L.A!

Everyone on this forum has been so helpful with their insights and it's great getting such a diverse range of opinions. I've decided to move into a studio apartment in Burbank or one of the nicer parts of North Hollywood, and have been researching on the internet but my main apartment finding strategy is to drive around areas I might like to live when I get there.

Aside from making sure all my papers etc are in order, I don't know what else to do to prepare - except wish the days away until December! I have no idea what to expect from L.A and I'm excited and terrified at the same time! I can't wait to be back in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,709,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton167 View Post
I promise I won't bug you every month until I move (ok..I promise I'll TRY not too) - but I'm SO excited about moving to L.A!

Everyone on this forum has been so helpful with their insights and it's great getting such a diverse range of opinions. I've decided to move into a studio apartment in Burbank or one of the nicer parts of North Hollywood, and have been researching on the internet but my main apartment finding strategy is to drive around areas I might like to live when I get there.

Aside from making sure all my papers etc are in order, I don't know what else to do to prepare - except wish the days away until December! I have no idea what to expect from L.A and I'm excited and terrified at the same time! I can't wait to be back in the USA.
Congratulations! You sound happy, and that is a welcome sentiment. If you have trouble finding a place you should try the Avalon Apartments on Pass Avenue in Burbank near Toluca Lake. They're great, not so cheap but well kept and cheerful and convenient.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM

396 posts, read 1,551,181 times
the avalon is convenient, but you have to deal with kids (younger than 5) running around at all hours of the night. i once left my friend's apartment in avalon around 1:00am and there were 3 little kids running around outside.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,709,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
the avalon is convenient, but you have to deal with kids (younger than 5) running around at all hours of the night. i once left my friend's apartment in avalon around 1:00am and there were 3 little kids running around outside.
Why is that bad? Kids are a good thing.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,909,331 times
Quote:
I'd normally consider seeing kids running around outside a good thing

Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,339,416 times
not at 1 in the morning - then it is NOT a good thing. It shows slapdash parenting or absentee parents.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:58 PM

633 posts, read 2,800,975 times
I'm helping to look for an apt. for someone and pulled up a review on the apartments you mentioned. It doesn't have good reviews on this site anyway!
Avalon At Media Center - Burbank - Burbank, CA

Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 PM

142 posts, read 686,796 times
You could maybe set appointments to look at apartments before driving. I found the perfect apartment from craigslist, and it had no pictures but the description sounded pretty good. I made an appointment to go see it and fell in love with it.

Other than having appointments to look at apartments prior to coming, make sure you have saved as much money as you can; also, make sure you're going to have a method of transportation, preferably drive your own car. Also, try to have a job if you can before moving (if you saved enough money, then you're ok with no job to start with).

Prior to moving here, I made sure I had made an appointment at the DMV to get my CA driver's licence, and I had researched where to get my smog test for my car.

Are you staying in a hotel first before you rent? Keep in mind that you might get lucky and find something right away or it make take you weeks.

Good luck... if you have any specific questions, please let us know or PM me.

You'll love it here :-)

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM

142 posts, read 686,796 times
Quote:
I agree with you on the kids. I like kids, but I don't like noise late at night when I'm trying to sleep to go to work the next day.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,544,963 times
My favorite areas have always been in southeastern Burbank/Toluca Lake near the studios and Equestrian area. Another nice part is just above Burbank Town Center. It's a nice, fun neighborhood.

Yes, driving or walking around the neighborhood looking for signs is smart.

Get a letter(s) of reference from former landlords if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles