Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairloom1 View Post
My boyfriend talked about getting married to me. But I said "we where too young" and that we should take it slow. He always calls me and always wants to be with me.

But he said that long-distance relationships are too hard, and I totally agree with him. He is making 600,000 GROSS. That means he has to pay back to the Business some of it, and taxes. All of those other things. His father can pull out two million out of the bank easy. I don't know how much his mother has.

If he wants to make me partner I would make over 300,000 by the age of 25. Which would make me financially secure for the rest of my life. He makes that much money not because he accomplished a lot but because he inheritted the business.

He wants to make "Partner" with me because he hates dealing with the Finance/Accounting part of the job. So he wants me to do that.

I doubt I'd be the trophy wife. Just the trophy looks. I guess that is my fault. Because I look like a typical California tan girl with designer handbags and clothes.
Am I stupid? I can have financial security for the rest of my life living California. VS struggling in NYC but end up sort of succesful at the end. I think its more logical to stay with my boyfriend in California. This is my future, and being made partner probably at the age of 23 isn't something that I should give up. How many people get MY opportunity? Really how many at MY age.

I think I would be pretty stupid if I did give it up.

I think of it this way.

When Emotional relationship fail me, I'll have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank waiting for me. and I can retire at the age of 50.

you do not sound like you would be content in such a postition. Why be partner when you can be king (or queen in your case). Did Ceasar want to share the consulship Pompey and the senate. No. He wanted it all.

In accounting class, partner is 51% or 49%. Do not take divorce at 50 so lightly. Divorce could wipe out your retirement. You'll have to battle for custody of the kids. at 50 you will no longer have your youth. With current american dietary habits, corn syrup, alcohol, and 2 kids, sun damage to skin, and lack of time to excerisise because of taking care of a business, you may no longer be pretty. Men will only want for the money you have left over if that.

also, in IMO, 23 is way too young to get married. 30 IMO is a good age. 20's should be about studying, career building, and having fun. When you settle down, you have attachments and attachment causes suffering. You can not easily walk away from them.

you'd also be working with your spouse everyday. do you like him that much? business and home life? I personally like to seperate home life and work life.

I say go to NYU. You will have time of your life and not regret it. don't forget that nyc is the financial capital of the world. You'll have the experience of living on both sides of the most exciting parts of the country. By the time you are done, you will still have your youth.

When you're on your deathbed, you want to say in this "in this life, I have no regrets. I need no help to return to heaven."

Superior ambition vs content financial security

its risk versus reward. do not throw away opportunity of achieving supreme ambition for a mere mortal.

what would alexander do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
If you care about him, you will be fine. That part is not clear from your posts. The rest you seem to have worked out really well. If you care about him, go ahead and sign up for the long haul.

That is my experience, having been in your shoes myself long ago.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 37,402 times
I don't think I'd want kids. There is just that SELFISH need in me to take care of myself. I'm too self-centered to take care of children. I don't know I highly doubt it.

I don't want to get married young.
But I don't understand people here are saying your 20's should be fun. Does that mean that "marriage" means settling down and people constitute marriage as "a bad thing"?

Is it because at age 30 your past your prime or something? -- that is sad to think about that in 10 years I'd be over my prime.

I'm not even old enough to drink.

Do you guys know if UCLA Business school is favorably ranked? I mean have you guys heard good things about it? Or is it kind of in the "backround"?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:13 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Reading that you know yourself so well that you believe that at this point in your life children not a good ideal, gives me great hope for you. Your 20's are for experimentation and fun, your 30's are when you should have your sh*t together. You are not past your prime, but you are expected to be responsible.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
damn straight!

nyu is ranked 7 for mbas by usnews

Executive MBA - Business - Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

do not pass up this oppurtunity!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM

24 posts, read 51,981 times
I love the confidence you have in yourself and that you admit you're pretty. Designer clothes, tan skin, that's what initially attracted me to California last summer. Not many people get the opportunity that you have to that kind of money at your age. You should consider yourself lucky that you found the boyfriend that you did, and from what I know about you so far, you seem like your very greatful, and smart I still say go to California and pursue your continuing education at UCLA. That's where I'll be applying to grad school! Keep in mind though, UCLA won't accept you unless you have at least 2 solid years of work experience first, unless you have outstanding GMAT scores and a 3.6+ GPA.

P.S. - Post pics haha.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairloom1 View Post
For a very long time now I wanted to create a plan how to lead my life. I am a 20 year old marketing student and I'm getting my bachelors next semester.

I have been seeing this guy since 11th grade in high school. And I truly care about him. The issue is I want to go to school in New York City, but he grew up in Southern California. My boyfriend makes a yearly income of 600,000 from his business that he inheritted from his family because they retired last year. He is 21 years old and he wants to go to Business school so he can learn to expand the business in other locations.

I want to go to NYU for my MBA degree. Tuition of course is expensive. But my boyfriend wants to be iin Los Angeles. His parents live in Calabasas and my boyfriend doesn't want me to move to New York obviously, because he needs to take care of the Business in Southern Cali and he doesn't want to be away from me.

One of the reasons why my boyfriend also can't move is because he is going to buy a house in the Pacific Palisades/Santa Monica area. So that is another weigh down on him. And he wants me to move in with him.

The thing is NYU always won me over as more prestige when it came to Stern Business School. My question is:
Is NYU more prestige then UCLA in general extent? My continuing major will be Marketing.
Remember that not all the sharks, live in the ocean and you guys do seem a little unfocused to say the least.
I wish you the best of luck running this "heirloom" business but don't think that a MBA will make your business more successful than the guy next door.
I personally would not give you a contract to wash my cars if I received a proposal with such blatant spelling mistakes,just me I guess!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM

24 posts, read 51,981 times
oh, I forgot to ask! What is nature/name of your boyfriend's family business. I'm interested in entrepreneurship and was curious

Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotfitched View Post
oh, I forgot to ask! What is nature/name of your boyfriend's family business. I'm interested in entrepreneurship and was curious
Don't answer this, please. This can't be a good idea. You've posted some pretty personal information anonymously here.... don't tie it to anything concrete. I offer this unsolicited advice only because you're young.... hope I'm not insulting your intelligence.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 37,402 times
Knowingly this could be a good move. I told my boyfriend that I not only believe in making a personal relationship work, but also financial relations.

I do think I should consider myself lucky that I'd be making the money I would. I doubt I'd get the opportunity ever again. I have a 3.8 GPA but no honors. (That's the draw back) But I will finish my Bachelors in 3 years. (So that's my personal accomplishment) Lol

My boyfriend for his age has accomplished so much already. And it is a flattering gesture that he wants to make me partner. I guess I should consider myself in a very lucky position that my BF wants to do this with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles