U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 PM

66 posts, read 131,739 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you're gonna need 10K and a job to make an honest go of it in L.A. If you get both of those, you can actually do pretty well, seeing as how you'll be family-less. You'll have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 11:10 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,910,797 times
Also let me add... car insurance. I don't know where you are moving from, but when I moved to LA; my insurance more then doubled(no tickets, accidents, etc...). Just another major cost you need to be aware of.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:51 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,341,905 times
Food (especially fresh produce) is cheaper.
Everything to do with the car is more expensive.
The Metro train is cheap.
The Metrolink train is expensive.
Vets, dog grooming, etc. are cheaper.
Car washes are a little cheaper.
Clothing can be a lot cheaper. There is so much opportunity here.
Dentists can be a little more expensive.
Housing is a bite. It's E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.
Utilities can be much cheaper, especially if you live near the ocean. Try to get as many of your utilities paid by the landlord as possible, and if you have to pay them, try to get as many of your fixtures to be gas as possible (not electric). It makes a difference out here because natural gas is a local natural resource.

What am I leaving out? I know there are other things we pay for, but this is a start. As you can see, not everything is more expensive; many things are much cheaper! The things that are expensive add up fast, though, and one medical emergency that catches you unprepared can send you home. So be prepared and you'll do great!

I agree with Superhero that $10k and a job ready to go would be best.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:30 AM

35 posts, read 151,929 times
Dont move to LA if you can help it. The economy sucks and everything is $$$$. Dont get me wrong, LA is beautiful but unless you make tons of money, it is impossible to have a good lifestyle here. I make over $70k a year and its still not enough to live comfortably in LA.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 AM

66 posts, read 131,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaittomovetotexas View Post
Dont move to LA if you can help it. The economy sucks and everything is $$$$. Dont get me wrong, LA is beautiful but unless you make tons of money, it is impossible to have a good lifestyle here. I make over $70k a year and its still not enough to live comfortably in LA.
Do you have kids and/or debt? 70k/year in L.A. for a single buys a pretty good little lifestyle. It's more than enough to buy a condo in a Toluca Lake/Studio City area, or with downpayment cash, a small house in the San Gabriel Valley or Burbank.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM

35 posts, read 151,929 times
No kids or debt but I hate the Valley. Everything great is on the Westside.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaittomovetotexas View Post
No kids or debt but I hate the Valley. Everything great is on the Westside.
I disagree unless you want a cooler climate\ beach scene. Living inland [Hollywood/Silverlake\El Sereno\ South Pasadena\ Glendale, etc] is close to many interesting areas & a whole lot less expensive than the beach cities. When I first moved to Los Angeles even Redondo Beach\ Hermosa Beach were somewhat affordable but aren't any more.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:41 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,547,103 times
Some people forget what it's like to be young.

I see many do it on much less than 5k. The prudent, cautious ones come with more money. it's really difficult to get a job when you're not here. More than other places, you'll do better face to face i.e. make them like you. Wear a sharp looking suit and a smile and nobody need know about your finances or personal affairs.

I'm a native who moved away for a while, got homesick and decided to return but due to a bad investment, I returned utterly drained and within 7 weeks was doing fine. There's more opportunity here than anywhere else in the country. I've looked. Housing and cost of living are relative and when weighed against the money you can make here, not a huge concern once you're working if you have a good job. I moved back here from Hawaii and it cost me 2 1/2 times more to live there with a lower standard of living. It's good to be home.

One huge mistake I see people make is to hold out for the "perfect" job while their time goes tick-toc and the money is running out. It may take a while to find your perfect one but you have to pay the bills in the meantime, it's not a bad thing to be in a character building position while looking for work....
n'est pas?

Another mistake many make is to isolate. Not here. Get out and network with people in the industry you'd like to work in. This is so important, I don't know how to emphasize it more. It's how all the real business gets done in this town. If you're shy, you'll have to get over it. If you're social, you'll do great.

Get the cheapest place you can find in a decent neighborhood. Medical catastrophes will be taken care of by L.A. county via USC Medical Center. They took care of a 50k bill of mine once. They'll even sign you up for a health plan if you're poor. Used cars are cheap and plentiful. Get something ideally with good gas mileage. Shop at Food 4 Less and the 99 cent store. Learn where all the cheap restaurants, free museums and cheap movie theaters are. You'll discover the rest once you get here.

You can do it with 5k, just hit the ground running when you get here, obsessed with finding a job. If you can't do this and you're not a go-getter, stay home. If you can handle it, L.A. has been welcoming far poorer young people for a very long time.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 AM

126 posts, read 417,445 times
Hello, OP.

You and I sound like birds of a feather. After years of trying, I'm actually going to leave for L.A. in the beginning of October. I have about the same amount in cash and about another $1500 in credit. However, I do plan to transfer with my PT job because it's a national company and I make a VERY decent hourly wage. So between that and my savings, I'm calculating that I will have a little over 7 months to make it happen. And I agree with everything that Sorcerer68 said, definitley try to get SOME form of income so you dont deplete your savings in 2 months. I would even consider posting your resume like a month before you move out, so that recruiters can find you just in case something comes along. You just never know what's out there and it cant hurt. Also, you may want to consider getting a roommate, atleast at first, to cut down on your initial housing expenses. There are plenty of people on Craig's List looking for roomies for $650 and less. Even some with utilities included. Pray, research, get on your grind, be THRIFTY, and you'll be fine.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 AM

1,712 posts, read 5,341,905 times
You know, after reading Sorcerer's advice, I think he is right. Listen to what he is telling you - very good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or