Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,019 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Los Angeles and would like some advice from people who have actually lived there or do currently live there. I've visited briefly before but its not the same as living there. I want to know in general what to expect before I move. The main thing that attracts me to LA is the number of available jobs and the outdoor opportunities it has to offer. I'm out of college and have the money saved up to move and am thinking this might be the place to start a career. For the people that moved to LA, what is some advice you wish someone who have given you before you moved? Do you still live there, if not do you want to move back? Whats a good area for someone like myself to live in? Whats a good way to go about looking for jobs, or is this something that can only be done once in LA? Is this place over hyped or is it really worth living there?

Last edited by SiddharthaGautama; 08-16-2008 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
...what is some advice you wish someone who have given you before you moved? Do you still live there, if not do you want to move back? Whats a good area for someone like myself to live in? Whats a good way to go about looking for jobs, or is this something that can only be done once in LA? Is this place over hyped or is it really worth living there?
First piece of advice is tell us a lot more about yourself, your situation, and your requirements.

What did you major in?
Age?
Married? Kids?
Do you have a job? Where is it?
Rent or buy? Budget or price range?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,019 times
B.A. Communiaction Arts
Major: Film
Minor: Internet Technologies

Not married, no kids

No Job

Rent - Something cheap until I can get on my feet and find a job. I'll have 5,000 to get started.

Last edited by SiddharthaGautama; 08-16-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
B.A. Communiaction Arts
No Job

Rent
No job. Rent.

Budget?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,036 times
Commuting can be difficult, so if you don't have a good car get one. Then I'd say if possible at all, find a temporary place to live until you know where you are going to work; not so easy I know, but worth it if you can pull it off. Not many things can turn a newcomer off to L.A. more than an hour plus drive to and from work everyday.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:41 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
If you have $5,000 and no job, you don't have enough to come here. Keep saving.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,867 times
i came here with $10,000, and if i hadnt gotten my loan for school, then i would be back in houston.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
$5k will be plenty if you can land a job or atleast have some interviews lined up before you get here. Honestly though, with your degree, you probably want a job doing something with movies. There is a lot of competition for these jobs and I have met so many people that end up temping at the studios or being PAs for very limited pay to make ends meet. You're better off looking into some of the larger marketing/advertising firms in LA, which are located throughout the city.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,642 times
Quote:
B.A. Communiaction Arts
Minor: Internet Technologies

Not married, no kids

No Job

Rent - Something cheap until I can get on my feet and find a job. I'll have 5,000 to get started.

I'll just give you some perspective from a person in a similar field who just moved to Los Angeles; 2 weeks ago.

As far as rent goes, cheap is very relative. In a decent neighborhood, expect to pay at least a $1000. I'm paying $1,200 in a neighborhood that most on here will tell you, isn't the best. On that note, I'd recommend saving up a little more money. $5,000 isn't very much; 1 check written will be rent + deposit (probably around $2,000). Expect to spend money to get a new DL if moving from out of space. On top of that, car registration fees, smog test, hooking up water, gas, and electric. If you get furniture, groceries, cable, and internet it adds up very quickly.

Just to estimate, half your money will be gone immediately. With what is left, you can "live" for maybe two months (if you can keep from getting parking tickets, driving too much (HIGH gas prices), and eating out too much.).

The job market is not as strong as you think. There is alot of competition in this field, so don't expect to find something right away. The saying that you have to know someone to get a good job in the "industry" is absolutely true. All I can say is don't waste any time, and network as much and as aggressively as you can.

That said, I'll wish you good luck! LA is a great place to live, and I don't plan on ever leaving. Just be very thrifty, and save as much money as you can. Please take that seriously. LA costs alot more then anyone thinks.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Yep, I'll echo everything KnoxTown says. We just moved to LA this spring, and I researched it ad infinitum beforehand. That was very helpful. There is no way to emphasize strongly enough that it is expensive (and surprisingly so) out here.

A sudden medical emergency can throw your plans off. Be prepared. It would be better if you had more money before moving out here, or be prepared with bartending skills to make extra income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles